Best way to move a phrase between part lines

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:?: Is there an easy way to move a phrase that occupies an arbitrary number of bars and beats between different lines of the same part, or even between different lines of different parts?

For example, I had a part with two lines, and I decided that a phrase that was at the beginning of the second line made more sense to be at the end of the first line. I was looking for an easy way to move the phrase from the beginning of the second line to the end of the first line in the part. Moving the phrase from line 2 to line 1 would require changes to the song structure: an increase to the bar length of line 1, and a shift of the starting bar number for line 2. I was unsure of the best way to accomplish this.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I have used T (or Ctrl-T)

It pastes your selection wherever you want, even in another track.

But before that, I inserted new empty beats (the same number of beats as the selection to paste).

Maybe I (or Ctrl-I) would do that automatically... I haven't tried yet.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Yes, copy and paste works well in these cases.
You can also zoom out the first part, then simply drag the phrases freely in the part.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

I could be wrong but I think what has been missed here is the shift of the start of line 2.

As for moving the part, I simply drag the phrase from one track to another and position its start point where needed. Then I adjust the time line and chord length as needed.

However, closing the hole left by the drag in the original track is another issue.

The only solutions I am aware of will be to select all in line 2 and drag to the new position or, better, select a region in the timeline, open the timeline inspector and "Delete Region". This will cause everything to shift left in the timeline.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “MusicDevelopments”