RapidComposer on Logic Pro X Question

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If anyone here is using RapidComposer on Logic Pro X, can you confirm that midi drag-and-drop and IAC routing work as expected between RC and Logic? I believe those are disabled in the demo, and I just want to confirm that they will ultimately work if I buy the full version before I get too invested in testing the other features of the demo. Thanks for any insights.

Hi,

I hope some Logic Pro users can confirm that RC is working fine with Logic.
MIDI routing (IAC and the virtual MIDI port) can be fully tested in the demo version.
MIDI drag-and-drop (control-drag the file icon or a track name) count is limited in the demo.
Please drop me an e-mail if you reached the max count but want to test it more.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Sorry, I somehow got it into my head that drag-and-drop and midi routing were disabled in the demo version, so I never even tried. Thanks for correcting my mistake and letting me know that I can test those in the demo -- I hope to do so over the weekend.

OK, I admit I'm a bit stumped. Drag-and-drop works fine with Logic Pro X from the standalone application, and when I load the VST into Blue Cat's Patchwork as a "VST-to-AU" wrapper (so I can use it in Logic), that generally works fine too, at least in terms of sending midi from the VST to another instrument loaded in Patchwork. (Unfortunately, midi timing sometimes falls apart, but that's an issue for another day.)

My problem is that I still can't get any midi out of the standalone for midi routing purposes. Not just into Logic, but into anything. I go into preferences/midi and set the IAC Bus for the midi out; is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to activate the midi out in the standalone? This may be a bug with the mac standalone, or, equally likely, I'm doing something wrong or there's something screwy in my set-up. Any guidance or suggestions (from Attila or anyone else) are most welcome. Thanks!

Hi SirkusPi,

did you select a 'General MIDI' instrument for your tracks in RapidComposer? You should do that, because VST, SoundFont and audio tracks are rendered inside RapidComposer and are not sent to the midi output port. There is a 'No Patch Change' instrument that you can use to avoid sending a program change message to the output.

Other than using IAC, RapidComposer offers a virtual MIDI output port on Mac OS X that should also work. Again, please set any MIDI instruments for the tracks. I hope it will work now.

Thanks,
Attila

Thank you Attila, I had neglected that step, but that did it. So, at least in my testing so far, I can confirm that both drag-and-drop and midi routing from the standalone application into Logic Pro X seem to work fine. Thanks again for your assistance (and your constant accessibility in this forum -- that gives me confidence about making a purchase).

Great, I am happy to hear that it works.
I am a bit surprised that the VST-to-AU adapter works with RC, because I vaguely remember that someone tried to use it but the two (adapter and RC) together were unreliable.

Thanks,
Attila

Actually, as I noted above, the VST-to-AU wrapper process did not work perfectly, as midi timing seemed to go off sometimes, and so was indeed "unreliable." But since I got direct midi routing from the standalone to work, it doesn't really matter, as that's even better for my purposes.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”