Chord naming: Traditional Notation

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really like being able to display chord naming in RC as Traditional Notation. :tu:

I hope this does not come across as nit-picking: when minor chords are displayed as lowercase Roman numerals, I think that it is redundant to have the lowercase "m" (or "min") appear after it, since the lowercase Roman numeral by itself already implies that the first interval in the chord's root position is a minor third.

If it is possible, I think Traditional Notation chord naming would look better if the following were the case: minor chords were displayed simply as lowercase Roman numerals; diminished chords were displayed as lowercase Roman numerals followed by a small "o" symbol (the "o" may be centered instead of superscripted, so long as the "o" is smaller than the lowercase Roman numeral); and augmented chords were displayed as uppercase Roman numerals followed by a "+" symbol (the "+" symbol could alternatively be smaller and superscripted). The attached image depicts my suggestions in the black fly-out boxes:

NOTE: I noticed that when I had chosen a IIdim chord from the chord selector, a IImin chord appeared in the master track instead, and it was displayed in red (probably because RC knew it did not fit the scale); I think this may be a bug (see the yellow box in the attached picture above).
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Thank you for the nice screenshot! This will be fixed ASAP!
In fact I was trying to use UTF-8 symbols for sharp and flat but they looked horrible for some reason.
How does the IIm7 chord look like in this notation? ii7 or iim7?

>I noticed that when I had chosen a IIdim chord from the chord selector, a IImin chord appeared in the master track instead

Will you please send me an e-mail explaining how I could reproduce this? I was not able to. This is indeed a bug.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

OK, now chords are displayed this way:

Do they look good? I tried the small superscript circle for diminished but that was less visible. The superscript plus sign was also too small.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote:Thank you for the nice screenshot! This will be fixed ASAP!
Awesome! Thanks! :tu:
musicdevelopments wrote:In fact I was trying to use UTF-8 symbols for sharp and flat but they looked horrible for some reason.
Hmm... what font and font settings were you using?

If you haven't done so already, check out the Bravura font designed by Daniel Spreadbury at Steinberg.
It is free to download, use, embed, redistribute with other software (including commercial software) or to create derivative versions. The only restrictions on its use are that they cannot be sold on their own, any derivative versions cannot use the reserved font name “Bravura”, and any derivative versions must likewise also be licensed under the SIL Open Font License.
musicdevelopments wrote:How does the IIm7 chord look like in this notation? ii7 or iim7?
Ah, I forgot about the 14 diatonic seventh chords -- that extra third on top introduces more possibilities! The IImin7 would just be ii7. Major seventh chords such as Imaj7 can be notated differently (IM7 or I△7) to distinguish them better from the dominant seventh chord which is simply notated as V7. Also, diminished seventh chords are notated like viio7, and "half-diminished" seventh chords are notated like viiø7.

Also: Download this .PDF file - it has a very good explanation (in layman's English) of Roman numeral notation.

I believe that the other extended chords (ninths, elevenths, thirteenths, etc.) are notated in an analogous manner.
musicdevelopments wrote:Will you please send me an e-mail explaining how I could reproduce this? I was not able to. This is indeed a bug.

Thanks,
Attila
Will do!
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

musicdevelopments wrote:OK, now chords are displayed this way:

Do they look good? I tried the small superscript circle for diminished but that was less visible. The superscript plus sign was also too small.
I like it! :clap: :hyper:

Will you also be able to display this small character "ø"; for use in half-diminished chords such as viiø7 ?

Also, will this new notation show up in the other areas of RC where Traditional Notation may be selected for chord naming?

Return to “MusicDevelopments”