Chord naming: Harmonic Function Notation

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:? I am trying to comprehend Harmonic Function Notation chord naming, but I am a bit confused:
:help:
Assuming that the following holds true: Tonic is represented by "T" (or "t"); Subdominant is represented by "S" (or "s"); and Dominant is represented by "D" (or "d"); what is the significance of the letters "p", "P", and "k"?

Are there are other special letters (like "p", "P", and "k") that I have not seen yet being used in Harmonic Function Notation chord naming?
--
Edit: :dog: I was way off -- the harmonic function of all seven degrees is being notated; parallel/relative harmonic functions are being notated as well. Apparently, a specific notation that makes use of abbreviated German terms is being used. I found the following explained at Wikipedia:

Code: Select all

Function       Roman Numeral   English                 German          German abbreviation
===========    =============   ======================  ==============  ===================
Tonic	       I               Tonic                   Tonika          T
Supertonic     ii              Subdominant parallel    Subdominanten-  Sp
                                                       Parallele
Mediant        iii             Dominant parallel/      Dominanten-     Dp/Tkp
                               Toniccounter parallel   Parallele
Subdominant    IV              Subdominant             Subdominante    S
Dominant       V               Dominant                Dominante       D
Submediant     vi              Tonic parallel          Tonika-
                                                       Parallele       Tp
Subtonic       vii             incomplete Dominant     verkürzter      diagonally slashed
                               seventh                 Dominant-Sept-  D7: (D/7) or (D̸7)
                                                       Akkord
Also:
"Tp" is the Submediant parallel of a minor chord in a major mode.
"Sp" is the Supertonic parallel of a minor chord in a major mode.
'Dp" is the Mediant parallel of a minor chord in a major mode.
"tP" is the Mediant parallel of a major chord in a minor mode.
"sP" is the Submediant parallel of a major chord in a minor mode.
"dP" is the Subtonic parallel of a major chord in a minor mode.

And:
"Tl" is the Tonic leading tone changing sound for a minor chord in a major mode.
"Sl" is the Subdominant leading tone changing sound for a minor chord in a major mode.
"Dl" is the Dominant leading tone changing sound for a minor chord in a major mode.
"tL" is the Tonic leading tone changing sound for a major chord in a minor mode.
"sL" is the Subdominant leading tone changing sound for a major chord in a minor mode.
"dL" is the Dominant leading tone changing sound for a major chord in a minor mode.
Three categories can appear in any one of three chordal guises in either of two modes, eighteen positions in all: T, Tp, Tl, t, tP, tL, S, Sp, Sl, s, sP, sL, D, Dp, Dl, d, dP, dL. Why all this complexity? Perhaps the central reason is that this ingenious, occasionally convoluted system enabled [Hugo] Riemann to achieve a grand and masterful synthesis of both the old and the new in late 19th-century music.
--Carl Dahlhaus
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I am wondering if the "Dp/Tkp" (and "dP/tkP") should simply be either "Dp" or "Tkp", since it is not necessary to specify both alternatives for the same notation. That would be like notating C minor as "Cmin/C-", or A augmented as "Aaug/A+", D diminished as "Ddim/D°", or G major as "Gmaj/G△", etc.

:idea: I suggest picking "Dp" (and "dP) over "Tkp" (and "tkP"), since it is only two characters in length! :borg:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

You are right, I did not pay much attention to this notation.
:idea: I suggest picking "Dp" (and "dP) over "Tkp" (and "tkP"), since it is only two characters in length! :borg:
Yes, I will do that. Thank you for all your advice! :tu:

Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”