Chord Rules Editor

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

My first post, hopefully I am not duplicating this topic. Finally had a few free days to spend time with RC. I’m trying to create new chord rule sets for Jazz. However, I cannot seem to get this to save correctly.

Here is what happens:
1. In the Chord Rules Editor tab, click New Rules
2. Click the green plus in Starts with and add a chord.
3. Same with Ends with
4. Click the green plus under Ends with to add the chord from Starts with
5. Click the green plus next to that chord to add another chord to follow
6. Change the name from New Rule to Jazz Rule
7. Click enter. Text font size changes
8. Jazz Rule is not visible in the Edit Rules selector or the Master Track inspector (Composition Tab)
9. Close RC and re-open
10. Jazz Rule is still not found

I found also that if I chose Duplicate Rules instead, I can create a new rule set by altering the duplicate rule, however, when I go to change the name of the rule set, I run into the same issue. Is there a step that I am not performing correctly?

Also, for Chord Suggestion in the Composition tab, how do you change the (based on Default Major Scale Rules)? When I change to say Mozart Major Scale Rules in the Master Track inspector, it does not change to this in the Chord Suggestion dialog.

Thanks!
Forrest

Hi Forrest,

You did everything well.
Thank you for reporting this, I found a bug when saving the chord rules. I am working on the fix right now which will be available in the next beta version, in about 2-3 days. You can download the latest beta version by inserting "beta" before the last dot, so that it ends with ...beta.php. Send me a PM if you need help.

BTW I've been planning to prepare jazz rules for a long time. Sorry that this bug interrupted you.
Also, for Chord Suggestion in the Composition tab, how do you change the (based on Default Major Scale Rules)? When I change to say Mozart Major Scale Rules in the Master Track inspector, it does not change to this in the Chord Suggestion dialog.
I found that it worked on Windows. Are you on Mac OS X? I suggest that you should try the same with the latest (beta) version because many bugs were fixed since v2.73.

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila,

Thanks, I’m running v2.73 (x64) on Windows 8.1. And, would be happy to test the next beta version.

RapidComposer is a great program, thanks for all of your hard work on this!  :)

Thanks,
Forrest

Hi Forrest!
This bug is fixed in the v2.8b14 version, that was uploaded today.
You need to add 'beta' to the download URL before '.php' to download the beta version, which is available for Windows/OS X, full and LE editions.
If you find any other issues, please let me know...

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila,
Thank you, working much better. Will run further tests and let you know what I find.

Thanks!
Forrest

Hi Attila,

Attached is my first pass at a Rule Set for Jazz Major Progression. I plan to expand this and also create a separate one for Jazz Minor/Blues; wanted to get your feedback if I am headed in the right direction. Still having a play with probably and how this affects the progression generation.

Here are a few phrases that I am testing with and a test composition. Please let me know if this is the best way to send this.
Jazz Scale Rules.zip
I am running into two concerns, if you would please have a look:

1) When I change the Rule Set to “Jazz Major Scale Rules” and generate a progression, the Chord Suggestions is still showing the Default Major Scale Rules (please see attached image).
2) On the Chord Rules Editor, once the number of chords exceed what will fit on the screen, creating the scroll bar, when new chords are added at the bottom of the screen, the window scrolls back to the top, making it challenging at first to find the chord just added. This is really more of a niggle, but wanted to see if it may be an easy fix.

Let me know if sending a video of what is happening would help.

Thanks again for a great program, and Happy New Year!
Forrest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wow, Forrest, this is amazing! Thank you for making and sharing these rules, I cannot wait to try them.

1) Please note that you need to set the rules for the composition for the suggestions to work. I try to include a screenshot where to do this:

2) yes, this needs to be fixed!

Thanks, this year is starting really well! :)
Attila

Thanks Attila! I completely missed that for the Master Track Inspector.

Thanks,
Forrest

Hi Forrest,

the scrolling bug is fixed now. The sample composition and phrases are great, but you will get better results if you insert a chord change every 8 beats (using these particular phrases) instead of every 2 beats, because you won't hear each chord. If you can hear only every 4th chord of a progression, it will sound like random chords. You've done a great job with the chord rules, and I am happy that these bugs were fixed before the v2.8 release on Monday.

Thanks!
Attila

Thank you, Attila! Works great in 2.8!

Still working on the updated files. Will post soon.

Thanks,
Forrest

Return to “MusicDevelopments”