Problem VST Version with Mulab Free/Crashes with second instance evrytime

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am not quite sure if the way I am intend to use the RC VST version is possible at the moment, so I just have to ask.

I want to use more then one instance (possible in general ?).

I use Mulab free for trying (cause only thing I have at home over Christmas/New year), later it will be Tracktion but the use is the same. What is great about these two DAW that you dont have to worry about in/out etc., you can just use the RC and then a VST Instrument after it for the sound, dont have to worry about anything, it just works.

And it works fine with the first instance of RC.

The general idea: four Tracks (which is maximum at Mulab free), on evry track one instance of RC and a nice Mulab VST after it. Then i want to use the idea tool on evry RC instance for different 8 bar compositions with different tracks/Instruments (pad, chord, bass, melody).

On the first track evrything was fine, RC with chords and Mulab Piano VST.

But as soon as I try to load another Instance of RC on track 2, PUFF....there goes RC with a crashing advice and kills Mulab.

When you have lots of patient (it took about half a minute for evry function in the idea tool to finish, for example to kill a track) I could make it work with a second instance but did not won anything because now the first instance of RC plays the same what I have created with instance two and the chords from instance 1 are gone :( .

Think it is not possible ad the moment maybe because of the limitations of the idea tool (only one composition), I dont know. Any idea for a workaround to make it work at least from the general idea ?

Kind regards,

Richard

Hello Richard,

this is a known problem. The fix is not easy because there are several ways a VST plug-in can be loaded and initialized multiple times by a host. In the past RC VST offered 128 MIDI channels (if you added another plug-in instance, you could use channels 17-32 with the same composition...). But this did not work in all hosts so this feature was removed.

Until this is fixed please duplicate and rename the VST plug-in .dll file, e.g. rename it to RapidComposer2.dll if you want to load separate instances of the plug-in. This works in Mulab but may not work in other hosts. Then you can load RapidComposer.dll to one instrument track, and load RapidComposer2.dll on another instrument track.

Thanks,
Attila

Hello Attila,

thank you for your workaround, I have tried it quickly and with two instances of RC it worked fine :) .

I am still just trying out the possibilities of RC and my DAW to find kind of "workflow" for me.

Maybe someone else has some better ideas how to implement these general ideas.

What I mainly want to do is as quick as possible try out as many ideas from the idea tool with the same instruments I plan to use in the "final" composition.

So of course I have tried out the nicely described MUX-Version with Mulab, but that dont help me.

When I am back at my working place in the new year I will try out a connection from RC standalone over a midi cable to Tracktion.

Main goal is to compose as quick and with as many variations as possible the "raw" material with the VST I will use in the end, then at least export the raw midi and make the final "composition" (which in my case means split and distribute the clips over the tracks :) ) in the daw.

I am sure there are better ways to do this, of course I think my problems will be solved in future RC versions with a more flexible idea tool in the case of compositions (more bars etc.), but until that day just trying to find a nice way....

So I am thankful for any idea.

Kind regards,

Richard

Hello Richard

Maybe I have not very well understood the problem, but for your four tracks you could use Mulab with only one instance of RC, as I show here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p5671597

With the full version of Mulab the MIDI channel splitter goes up to 16 channels, with the free version of Mulab I think that it is indeed limited to 4... but the method is the same.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hello Black Winny,

thanks for your reply, and sorry that I have forgotten to mention your name for the MUX Video, the explanation is really great and very well explained.

But the problem for my "idea of workflow" was to use more then one instance of RC with more then one instance of the idea tool to experiment. A little bit hard to explain but I will try.

I have for example one RC with the idea tool for a bass generator and a bass VST on track one.

A version of RC with the idea tool and a chord generator and a chord VST on track two.

Track three with melody in the same way.

Now I just would like to change only the bass in the idea tool in RC with "ctrl + g" till I get something I like, then the same with chord, melody and fourth track.

Hope you get the idea.

And that wont work at the moment and wont work with the mux solution.

Maybe I am totally wrong with my idea and there is a better way to do this ? I am really a newbie with RC and happy to came that far in short time with the help of Attila and your nice videos.

Kind regards,

Richard

Hello Richard,

this is exactly how the new idea tool will work in v3.0. What you described makes sense, and you should/will be able to regenerate one track only, leaving the other tracks intact. I think this will open new possibilities. I just have to ask your patience because there are other things that require improvements, like the phrase editor which I receive the most complaints about.

Thank you!
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Hello Richard,

this is exactly how the new idea tool will work in v3.0. What you described makes sense, and you should/will be able to regenerate one track only, leaving the other tracks intact. I think this will open new possibilities. I just have to ask your patience because there are other things that require improvements, like the phrase editor which I receive the most complaints about.

Thank you!
Attila
THIS!

And Attila is one of the best developers I know for the question of taking account of the feature requests, and analyzing them in depth with us (and now you) for our best pleasure.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”