[newbie] Using RC from within Logic

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, so I understand that RC does not come as an AU. I also know that there are VST wrappers for AU but since everything I have has AU versions I haven't had the need to look for one.

So I guess I'm hoping that there's a Logic user here that can advise me as to the "best" way of getting RC to load into Logic Pro X.

thanks

Hello Charles,
Welcome to the forum :tu:

I am not a Logic user so this may be off base; however, instead of using RC as a VST you may want to consider using it stand alone and sending the MIDI data to your Logic AU for playback sound.

To do so right click on your track to open the track setting dialog. Change the "Instrument" to "General MIDI" and assign a track number ( or use the auto track default).

In Logic, make your MIDI "In" assignment to correspond with this RC MIDI "Out".

Things have changed some in Logic since I last used it but you should be able to get MIDI speaking between Logic and RC via the method I have described.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Hmmm, have not had to do that, I believe it's possible via Mac s IAC , I would be satisfied with that approach, thanks

now that I think about it, there's the issue of synchronization between the RC and Logic i.e. playback synchronization, don't believe that settings the midi in/outs in of itself will suffice

The only sync issue I am aware of is the one that if you start your composition in Logic at bar 0, Logic tends to miss playing the first note.

To overcome this problem, when I used Logic, I always started at bar 2 or later in the timeline. Then notes got played as they should have.

Since then I got into the habit of starting later down the timeline, opening up the possibility of adding something on the front end very easily. It wasn't necessary then to grab everything already done and move it to a later position. This always seemed to result in missing something on another track lower in the track list that wasn't in view.

Aside from this issue I do not recall reading any posts that described sync issues.

If you are having these problems please report them in the Bug Reports thread. Attila hates bugs and is very prompt to squash them and issue updates.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Sorry, is this via ReWire support?

Hi Charles,

RC creates a virtual MIDI port (you can set it as output under Settings / MIDI) from which Logic will get the MIDI data. So no other tricks are necessary. There is no ReWire support, it is planned after v3.0.
If you use MIDI tracks only in the standalone RC (so no SF2 or VSTi), a very precise sequencer will be used inside RC to send out the MIDI notes.

Thanks,
Attila

Ok, so I have made the changes in RC.
  1. I have a bar with 4 chord hits as per the Chord Generator.
  2. I have set its Instrument to "General Midi"
  3. The "Device" is set to Rapid Composer Virtual Midi Outp
  4. The Channel is set to 1​
In Logic:
  • I have setup an instrument track with a loaded instrument to Channel 1
What does happen now is that if I hit "play" on RC that midi data is sent via the virtual midi pipe into Logic.
If I hit "play" within Logic nothing happens.

I have tried modifying the MTC and MMC , Send Position Pointer etc settings , but I cannot get Logic's transport to control RC's playback.

Perhaps this is a Logic thing but I guess I'm not sure how to phrase my question.

You're probably overlooking one more step:

Click the "Settings" Tab (at the top of RC)
Click the "MIDI" tab now. (Far left on the "Settings" tab.)

You will find settings for "MIDI In" and "MIDI Out"

Set the MIDI In for your Logic device and be sure to click on "Receive MIDI Start/Stop/Continue/SPP". This will allow Logic to start and stop the RC transport.

Set "MIDI Out" to the RC virtual MIDI port Attila suggested and check the 2 boxes below, "Send MIDI Start/Stop/Continue/SPP" and "Send MIDI Clock". Use these if you want to control the Logic transport (that is if Logic permits this. Some DAW's do not.)

You can select each of these settings to meet your needs. Sometimes you will not want Logic to control RC's transport, other times you will want RC to control the DAW (again, if the DAW permits this).

Don't forget too that RC's virtual MIDI port will give you 16 channels to use. If these are not enough you can set up additional MIDI ports using a virtual MIDI cable like Tobias Erichsen's loopMIDI found here:
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

BTW Charles, all this will become second nature to you after a bit. Just give it some time to learn and don't become frustrated :tu:

Frustration closes the mind from learning you know ;)

Hang in there :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

frustration and impatience, yes absolutely agree, have been my own victim to both of these. This time around I told myself that I will be putting in an earnest effort in learning the tools that I think instrumental to the capture and polishing of my music inside.

Anyhow, yes, some help from a LPX user , which basically amounted to what you have outlined has me now controlling RC playback from Logic.

For most of my compositions I think 16 tracks will do especially considering that I probably won't be doing drums from RC. Thanks for the link, I think I can accomplish that with IAC plus perhaps some Logic environment setup.

btw, although this works , it is basically defeated by putting RC into cycle mode. Specifically cycle mode in RC will overrule the song position being transmitted from Logic. The result is the Logic will be on for example bar 8 while RC is cycling over bar 2.

Yes, this is normal behavior. RC is looping the points you have set in the looper.

To get RC to start and play through the correct bars you will need to disengage the looper. RC will now start at bar 1 when you start Logic playback if you have set MIDI transmit.

To set the loop area:
The loop button is the circle type arrow at the end of the transport area. If this is "lit" (blue on my system) then it will loop the timeline area you have indicated. To set the area on the timeline you press <Shift> and drag across the top of the timeline. The area will become highlighted.

To remove the highlighted area press <Shift> and click on the timeline.

You can leave the timeline highlighted if you like and just turn of the loop button. Disengaged it looks greyed out.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Does the midi come across to logic as midi1(multi) or midi0?
I have logicprox
Jgyoungmdaic

I tried the above suggestions and rc did not work within logicprox.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”