Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR

Which RapidComposer feature do you need the most? Mark maximum 5 options.

Drum maps, improved percussion phrases and editing
5%
Improved chord palette, circle of fifth, chord builder, borrowed chords, easier chord entry
13%
Scale and chord finder tool built in the scale and chord browsers
10%
Sharing custom phrases and using other users' shared phrases integrated into the phrase browser
5%
Phrases may contains MIDI controllers and pitch bending (editable in the phrase editor)
5%
New phrase generators (harp glissando, piano left hand pattern generator)
8%
New interactive melody generator
14%
Melody analysis from MIDI tracks, melody rules
11%
MIDI file browser showing detailed file info
2%
Lyrics track
1%
Audio import and display improvements
1%
Tracks may have own guide/master track
2%
Acoustic guitar chord shown on master track, editable acoustic guitar chords
2%
Project management
2%
Tunings
1%
MIDI learn - use MIDI controllers for various sliders and operations
2%
LUA scripting
3%
User interface simplification
7%
Translating the UI to other languages
No votes
Audio effects (VST/AU plug-ins) with automation
2%
Support for VST3 plug-ins
2%
Support for Audio Unit (AU) plug-ins on OS X
1%
AU plug-in version for OS X e.g. to be used in Logic Pro X
1%

Total votes : 372
SirkusPi
KVRist

199 posts since 14 Aug, 2012

Postby SirkusPi; Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 am Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

Those are all great suggestions, but what I really want is a manual (or a complete, up to date video tutorial series). I understand what a challenge that can be, especially for a constantly changing and improving product like RC. But I find myself not using it much because getting started beyond the basics seems so overwhelming.

So please: a manual!
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

2759 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Postby musicdevelopments; Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:09 am Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

The wiki is the manual. I update the wiki from time to time. Last week the wiki was reorganized to have a more logical layout, and a chapter was added about the chord voicings.
Some people prefer a pdf manual, but it is possible to generate a pdf from the wiki.
I did this recently:
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/manualv3.pdf

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions
elvistcb3577
KVRer

27 posts since 24 Jun, 2018

Postby elvistcb3577; Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

1. Continually simplify GUI and workflow. Lather, Rinse, and Repeat.
2. Avoid implementing features that slowly morph RC into a DAW.
3. Focus on composition tools and workflow that aids non-destructive experimentation.
4. Provide features in such a way that allows users to extend core (Generator and Variation builders would rock out).
5. Explore implementing a Rhythm track (for each track). Decouple rhythm from the generators and make it a first class citizen. Beyond time signature and tempo, most tools do not abstract this out to any degree.

6. More specifics
a. Save variation chains presets
b. Delete individual generator history indexes (and name)
c. Save a generator phrase state as a dynamic phrase in the library
d. Do we really need static phrases? Couldn't a user entered phrase (manual or recorded) be considered a virtual generator? e.g. the phrase editor is really a generator.
e. Label notes in the track view and or color code.
f. Indicate other info in phrase. i.e. chord inversion/voicing. Just some ideas
g. Voice a phrase across multiple tracks (e.g. chord generator each voice goes to separate tracks. Mayve you need a phrase track for this.

I'll stop for now. :hihi:
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:04 am Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

Wow! Thanks for sharing your ideas and advice! :tu:
You see things very logically.

Thanks!
Attila
elvistcb3577
KVRer

Postby elvistcb3577; Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 am Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

I'll add one more:

Provide various contextual feedback analysis. In case that sounds made up (and it is kinda), here is an example of how RC currently provides this: When a chord on the master track is out of key it is highlighted in RED.

Here is are examples of a new contextual feedback based on the idea above:
For a slash chord if the bass note is not in key, highlight it in RED
If a note in a phrase is out of key highlight it in RED

Also somewhat related to above. I could be wrong but traditional roman numeral notation is always relative to the scale degrees as in context of the naturals.

e.g. in a minor key bIII is in key III is not. As in the natural minor scale the 3rd degree is flattened and these flattened (or sharpened) scale degrees are also indicated in chordal positions.

I was confused when I was in a minor key and added c major chord and it showed as III not bIII

I'm I the only one that was confused by this?
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 am Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

Please note that you have a few choices for coloring notes, including highlighting them in red when they are out of key:

The same settings exist in the phrase editor, under View Options.

You bring up an interesting point about using the roman numerals.
I hope others will comment. I am ready to implement this traditional numbering, and call the current numbering 'alternative' ;)

Thanks,
Attila
elvistcb3577
KVRer

Postby elvistcb3577; Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 am Re: POLL: which feature do you need the most?

thanks so much. so much to learn on my end.
Previous

Moderator: musicdevelopments

Return to MusicDevelopments