What don't I understand

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Start a new project, and put a 4 bar chord generator into the 4 bars. The first bar will have a I chord in it.

Now double click on the 1st bar and go into the Phrase Editor for the first bar. Use the up down arrows next to the drop down that says "Major" to change the chord to something else, for example I7 flat 9. I see the chord change.

Now click "Apply Changes to Phrase in Composition." I expect to return to the composition and see that the first chord is I7 flat 9. But it is not....it is unchanged.

So changing the phrase does not change the chord? Why have the chord control in the phrase editor. I am lost.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

while the Phrase Editor lets you edit and preview your phrase using any chords, it does not change the phrase shape. Please note that notes in a phrase are parametric, that is they depend on the master track chord and scale when rendering. Phrase notes are described like "bottom chord note+1 scale step" or "2nd chord note from the top", so it is quite flexible.

Changing the chord in the phrase editor does not change the phrase, only allows you to preview or modify the phrase to sound good with that chord. E.g. you can design a cool phrase that sounds good with any 3-note chords (e.g major or minor) but you need to prepare for when the phrase is used under a 7th chord, and you can add optional notes that appear only for 4-note chords. Or make some notes use the "highest chord note" which will be the 5th for major or minor, or the 7th for I7 or 9th for I7b9.

It is only the master track that specifies the chords/scales.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

thanks. I think I see.

Glenn

Return to “MusicDevelopments”