Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
padillac
KVRian

512 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Postby padillac; Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 pm Is there an easy way to see what chords will harmonize with a certain note?

I've got a phrase in the composition area... I want to click on it, or on a couple notes, and see what chords will harmonize well with it. It's sort of like the auto harmonize... except I don't want it to pick the chords for me, and I don't want it to follow its own rules. I want a suggestion of possible chords that I can choose.

There is a chord suggestion palette, but it seems to be based on the chord progression up to that point. It doesn't seem to take into account a melody note, or the current phrase.

I can work out possible chords myself based on the note that I'm looking at... but the whole reason for using RapidComposer is to make that sort of thing go faster :)
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

2230 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Postby musicdevelopments; Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:02 am Re: Is there an easy way to see what chords will harmonize with a certain note?

This is something I have not thought of... :oops:
Very good idea! :tu: I added it to the to-do list.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions
padillac
KVRian

Postby padillac; Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 am Re: Is there an easy way to see what chords will harmonize with a certain note?

Cool :) So I was thinking about this a bit more... a really wonderful way of doing this would be to go into note mode and select a couple notes, and have it suggest based on those.
tonedef71
KVRian

646 posts since 20 Sep, 2007, from USA

Postby tonedef71; Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 am Re: Is there an easy way to see what chords will harmonize with a certain note?

Extracting ideas from the scale/chord matrix tools of Chordwizard's Songtrix application, a matrix grid can be displayed for selecting and auditioning a suitable chord that can be built from the selected note within the currently active scale. In the following screenshot (F is the currently selected note and F Major is the currently active scale), root notes are displayed horizontally, and chord types are displayed vertically. The large dots indicate the chords that can be built within the currently active scale using the selected note as the root note. The small dots indicate the other various chords that can be built with the selected note within the currently active scale.

The grid could be further enhanced with an option to include chords outside the currently active scale that contain the selected note, perhaps displaying them with a different color dot.

Actually, RC's existing chord selection tool is already up to the task.
It just lacks an option to constrain the displayed chords to be just the ones that contain the currently selected note.
Last edited by tonedef71 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Win10x64; 64-bit: T7/W8; Sonar Platinum; FLS 12.5]
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

2230 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Postby musicdevelopments; Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:45 am Re: Is there an easy way to see what chords will harmonize with a certain note?

Interesting, Tony!
I am just working on the new chord palette, your thoughts came at the right time!

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions
padillac
KVRian

Postby padillac; Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:46 am Re: Is there an easy way to see what chords will harmonize with a certain note?

fwiw what I do now is have note highlighting available, so chord notes are green, scale notes are yellow, out of scale notes are blue. Click on chords until the notes I want turn up green :) it works nicely enough

but yes it would be amazing if the chord palette could only show / highlight chords that match selected notes.

The chord palette is truly amazing!!

btw when you have "constrain" unchecked, it shows black / white keys... but what would be even better (for me :) is if it showed the notes in the selected scale one color, and all the other notes another color. That way you could have the full set of notes available, but easily be able to see which are part of the scale and which aren't.

Moderator: musicdevelopments

Return to MusicDevelopments