Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
padillac
KVRist

487 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Postby padillac; Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:53 pm Chord phrases – keeping bass notes the same, and doubling chord tones

I've got a simple I-Imaj7 progression in C... I would like to create a four-note phrase that always plays the root at the bottom, and then plays the other three notes as chord tones – playing the fourth note in an extended chord, and doubling the root in a triad. I'd like that rule to hold when I move the chord up or down to do inversions.

Let me give an example...

So I make a phrase with four notes – root (as a Bass note), Ch(L+1), Ch(L+2), Ch(L)-1. The last three are all Chord notes, with the fourth note having "ignore non-existent chord note" set.

(btw if I put that phrase under a I, it still plays the fourth note which is unexpected – I thought "ignore non-existent chord note" would prevent it from sounding. anyway...)

What I want, when I place it under a I (C), is to play:

C-E-G-C. Right now it plays C-E-G-B, which I think it should not because of "ignore non-existent chord note."

Now if I drag it up, I want it to play: C-G-C-E – it keeps the Bass note the same, and inverts the top three Chord notes.

Similarly a Imaj7 should play C-E-G-B, and when I move it upwards I want it to play C-B-E-G.

Is this possible? And am I using "ignore non-existent chord note" incorrectly?
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

2121 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Postby musicdevelopments; Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 am Re: Chord phrases – keeping bass notes the same, and doubling chord tones

Hi padillac,

very good question. Now that I tried all possible inversions I realized that a few does not work as expected. Phrases that have 'bass' notes, or higher chord notes without 'ignore non-existent chord note' set may behave strange. I will fix this in the next few days, I hope.

You don't have the right notes. If you want to have C-E-G-C for C major, you must have the lowest 4 chord notes added, all without setting 'ignore non-existent chord note': Ch(L), Ch(L+1), Ch(L+2), Ch(L+3). For 3-note chords this results Ch(L+3) will become Ch(L)+1 octave. If 'ignore non-existent chord note' is set, notes with Ch(L+3) will not even appear in the phrase. For 4-note chords Ch(L+3) becomes the 7th note. Sorry for this stupid mathematical notation, but chord notes must be referenced to somehow.

I will update the status of the ongoing fixes in this topic.

Thanks!
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions
padillac
KVRist

487 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Postby padillac; Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:29 am Re: Chord phrases – keeping bass notes the same, and doubling chord tones

ah okay that makes sense. I probably created the phrase with the chord set to C which is how I got Ch(L)-1.

Anyway glad to hear you're going to address the bass note problem. Hopefully it works with the "spread out chord notes" variation :)

Moderator: musicdevelopments

Return to MusicDevelopments