Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

How to Use Chord Generator (More)

tigerintheboat
KVRist

63 posts since 20 Nov, 2016

Postby tigerintheboat; Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:23 pm How to Use Chord Generator (More)

Suppose I just want 2 note voicing for a dominant chord, just 3 and 7. For example, C7, I would want just E and B flat.

I define this as L+1 (E), and L+3 (B flat 7) for a C7 chord. They are all chord tones, very simple. I define this in the phrase editor, I give it a name and save it.

But when I drop this generator or phrase on to the timeline, I might get C and G instead of E and B flat. Even though I have eliminated both of those notes!

Of course I can move it back up or down, and eventually get E and Bb, but that is not what I intended with this voicing. I wanted just the 3 and the flat 7, or the major 7, whichever is the fourth chord tone (L +3).

And of course I don't want absolute notes, I want this to work for all dominant seventh chords.

Am I doing this wrong? What is the setting that would let me drag this to the timeline, and always get 3 and flat 7, major 7 and 3, and not any other notes?

Thanks for any help with this.

Tiger
yellukhan
KVRian

1190 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Postby yellukhan; Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 am Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

is this is works? (once you prepare/save the Voicing presets you can also access them in the Track inspector)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtLgd9 ... e=youtu.be
tigerintheboat
KVRist

Postby tigerintheboat; Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 pm Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

Yellukan, thank you for the video. While I was more or less able to follow, I am still confused about how to use the tools.

I thought the chord generator and phrases controlled both the placement of the notes in time (rhythm) and which notes of the chord sounded and in which octave (I would call that voicing).

Now, in this new version, you have this new feature, voicing, which is separate and which interacts with a chord generator.

So tell me if I understand this right. Your "voicing" feature controls which notes appear in each chord type, and in what order? But isn't that something you can also do with the chord generator?

Couldn't the chord generator specify one voicing and the voicing specify something different? Should we only use chord generator now for rhythm, and use voicing otherwise?

Tiger
yellukhan
KVRian

Postby yellukhan; Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:48 pm Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

currently,
Chord Generator produces notes according to master track chords..
for example for C5 chord Chord Generator produces only 2 notes or if there is Cmaj11 Chord Generator will produce 6 notes etc.
i think Attila mentioned a few days ago, if i remember correctly in V4 we will able to select notes (intervals) separately.
but currently the only way i know to do what you are after, using Voicing function as in the video.
tigerintheboat
KVRist

Postby tigerintheboat; Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 pm Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

After some study, I think I understand your suggested way of doing this. I hope that will work.

Because I am sure there is something wrong with the chord function or the transpose function.

When I specified L+1 and L+3, and enter a I7 chord, I get the 3rd and the flat-seventh. That is correct. So a I7 for the key of C, I get E and Bflat.

But when I transpose it, either by dragging vertically, it turns into C and G. This seems impossible to me, since the distance between E and Bb is a tritone (three whole steps), and the distance between C and G is a fifth. Even when I set Transpose to Octave, it still does this.

Something is either wrong with my understanding or with the program.

Tiger
yellukhan
KVRian

Postby yellukhan; Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:56 am Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

seems works here..
this is the transpose result when i use Voicing
tigerintheboat
KVRist

Postby tigerintheboat; Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

Yes, thank you for the demonstration. Yes, it does work your way, with the voicing editor.

What does not work is to specify L+1 and L+3 in the chord generator. I thought that was equivalent to specifying the 3 and 7 in a dominant 7th chord. But it is not.

Apparently I don't understand the meaning of L, L+1, etc. they must be relative to the chord position on the timeline, not the positions in the root position.

But in any case, voicing works better, and I will use that! Thanks for all your help.

Tiger
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

2412 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Postby musicdevelopments; Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 am Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

tigerintheboat wrote:What does not work is to specify L+1 and L+3 in the chord generator. I thought that was equivalent to specifying the 3 and 7 in a dominant 7th chord. But it is not.

Hi Tiger,

you understand it well, normally L+1 ("lowest chord note+1" = "2nd note from lowest") is the 3rd and L+3 is the 7th of a chord. However using voicing affects chord notes which may be completely rearranged, so L+1 won't be the 3rd anymore.

Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions
tigerintheboat
KVRist

Postby tigerintheboat; Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:06 am Re: How to Use Chord Generator (More)

:) Yes, you meant L to be lowest, and I just assumed that you meant the root of the chord. Sorry for all the confusion (mostly I am sorry for me, and all the time I wasted!)

Merry Christmas to all!

Tiger

Moderator: musicdevelopments

Return to MusicDevelopments