Count In

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there controls for the count-in for the metronome? I can't find any, and this description of things doesn't seem to work.

"Since version 2.7, we have added the much-requested Metronome and Record function. There is a count-in once you press record (as long as the Metronome is enabled). RC will not record anything until you press keys on your MIDI keyboard, and it will give you three full seconds to “get ready” (you can at least get a 1-bar count-in during this time, depending on your Phrase tempo)."

Tiger

This is a bit hidden, but since it extends the 'timeline' you will find "Count In" in the Timeline inspector:

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Attila,

I didn't play with this extensively, but Count In is not supposed to extend the timeline.

Everywhere else I have ever seen it, Count in plays just the metronome, 1 or 2 bars, before the timeline starts! This is to allow you to go from the computer keyboard to the midi keyboard or synth...to turn physically and get ready to play on the keyboard/synth/midi to record.

RC has two options: one extends the timeline and puts a blank bar into the composition. Neither is what everyone else does, or is good for me.

Your first option, to add the blank bar, throws off all the bar numbering and you will have to listen to the blank bar every time you play the composition.

Your other option is to play the metronome while the timeline is running. I am trying to record something in Bar 1, so as soon as the timeline starts, It is too late.

To make this consistent with the rest of the world, the Count In feature should count before the timeline starts playing/recording!

Tiger

Your first option, to add the blank bar, throws off all the bar numbering and you will have to listen to the blank bar every time you play the composition.
Adding one or two bars at the beginning does NOT throw off bar numbering, assuming you clicked on "Yes" in the dialog.

You don't have to listen the blank bar, if you disabled "count in". In fact, there is a way to start playback from position 1 even if an extra bar is displayed before that. Shift-Return positions the playback head to the previous playback start position.

Other apps also extend the timeline, it is just not displayed, so you don't see that.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Maybe nobody else cares about this, but I really think this implementation is very unusual and different from the rest of the world. And I see no advantage to it.

You actually add these bars to the composition and let people fill them up. The whole point of count-in bars is not to have the song started, but to have the metronome count-off bars before the song.

I accept defeat on this and I will get used to it or work around it. But I don't understand why it is hard to simply count the metronome for 4 beats or 8 beats before starting the Playback if count-in is enabled?

Instead, for the current composition I am working on, I now have two bars labelled "-1" and "0". Weird and awkward. I turned it into a 2 bar intro with the bass.

Tiger

I don't use RC as the "final" production of a mock up. The way I use it, is get the idea into the ball park, then move it to my DAW for the final tweaking. Once there, I am free to adjust everything.. So, were it starts in the DAW, may not be were I started in RC, is my point..

BluGenes wrote:I don't use RC as the "final" production of a mock up. The way I use it, is get the idea into the ball park, then move it to my DAW for the final tweaking. Once there, I am free to adjust everything.. So, were it starts in the DAW, may not be were I started in RC, is my point..
I agree...no intention to create the finished product in RC, but I don't understand why he did it this way...and I like to understand!

Thanks for your help.

Tiger

Return to “MusicDevelopments”