Archtop: Palm muted strumming and other issues

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I can't manage to use the strumming keys at the same time as the palm mutes. Could it be that this cannot be done because you can't with an actuall guitar? Piease take in consideration that I don't know anything about playing a guitar in real life.

Another thing is that it seems that Archtop is swallowing notes. The release time option within the sustain panel is helping a bit but not completely. Is there a way to switch off the chord recognition? I just don't understand what's the benefit of the chord recognition, anyway?
Say you play a 7 chord and you want to strike all six strings using palm mutes and the strum keys. That makes eight keys. I can't see how the recognition engine is supposed to do it right. I'm not a programmer so please ignore this rambling if it's stupid.

I noticed that the strumming does not work if it begins simultaneously with the note that is to be strummed. Does my description even make sense?

Here is my example file (FL-Studio 11 64 Bit).Nothing fancy, btw.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2377519619

One question to the Archtop pro's out there:
Would you please give me a tip what's the best way to create that typical Django Reinhardt rythm guitar "background"? Can this be done with Archtop?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any answer.

Hey there, let me see if I can help.

1. You can't currently do palm muted strums with the strum keys. This is something I would like to add to the next (free) update. You can of course manually write out chords and then use any articulation you want.

2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by swallowing notes or chord recognition, based on your description. Archtop doesn't do any particular chord recognition since all the sounds are based on individual notes, not pre-recorded chords. It will always try to play the appropriate strings and use a realistic fingering though.

3. Right, if Kontakt receives multiple MIDI notes at the exact same time it's difficult to figure out how to parse them. The only real solution to this is making sure your notes come slightly BEFORE the strum keys. Keep in mind you don't need to hold the actual chord, just the strum key(s).

I love Django - his style is exceptionally difficult to pull off in MIDI, as it's so fast + nuanced! Plus, he used an acoustic guitar, as far as I know. I think Archtop is better suited for slightly slower rhythms, as opposed to fast, energetic background strumming, or shorter chord 'stabs' like in my "Mr. Sandman" demo as opposed to constant, sustained strumming.

I think "The King and His Blues" is an excellent demonstration of rhythm writing w/ Archtop and I'd be happy to send you a MIDI of it - just email support@impactsoundworks.com - perhaps it will give you some ideas/inspiration!
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”