New song with a Shreddage2 and Archtop combinations

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I finished my first song using Archtop in combination with Shreddage2.

It is a classic rock style song and it is all programmed in midi.
Bass is NI Rickenbacker library.
Check it out.
https://soundcloud.com/magnus-engdahl/h ... -in-misery

very nice!!

what part is from the archtop?
and the drums, what is it? toontrack?

perhaps you can post a little midi example how to program the guitar parts? ;-)

Your songwriting and programming always kicks ass, Magnus :-) I would also be curious as to which parts are which!
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments.

The funk type guitars are Archtop and the rest Shreddage2. The solo is Shreddage2.
I used Toontrack EZ mix Metal Guitar Gods and a setting called 'Devin - Clean' for the Archtop sound. The Archtop itself has a the Jump, Scream, Cab, Comp and Flanger ticked.

The drums are in deed EZ Drummer from Toontrack with the Rock Solid kit. Then I have done some EQ and compressor processing.

I will get some midi samples uploaded later. Cheers!

Hi Magnus,I'm not into rock stuff,i mainly play death\blackmetal but i like your song and especially the whole mix,very professional, and the bass sound!
Great work.

Absolutely brilliant! Great vocals, harmonies, excellent mixing. Rock Solid sounds fantastic, rhythms, bass and solo sound perfect, simply majestic work!

Very good!

I will say though that the song does sound overly quantized regarding guitar parts... and the noises at the beginning sounded relatively fake to me... But overall very good programming!

Again, thank you for the nice comments and useful feedback.

Regarding the overly quantized guitars that EvilDragon mentioned. This is a tricky area when programming guitars like this and I do spend a lot of time trying to make the guitars play less then perfect and also that the right and left guitars plays slightly different in timing. If it is done too much it sounds sloppy and if done too perfect it feels dead.

It is funny cause when a real guitarist play we do everything we can to make it sound as tight as possible and in some of the modern metal, we hear today, it does in deed sound very quantised (and probably is). Sometimes if feels like I don't want to tell anyone how it was done. A pro musician I know very well and who did not know about the midi, heard this song a week ago and he said "Well played Magnus" :D

Since I do play bass and guitar myself I could play the parts myself but I have found a challenge in doing everything in midi and make it sound as real (whatever real is) as possible.

Sometimes it is down to the library sounds and articulations. Shreddage 2 is leading the game at the moment and I have high hopes for the next version.
Last edited by Magx68 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Some musical styles call for very loose playing, Classic Rock stuff like The Black Crowes, Guns and Roses where the 2 guitars seem to be doing their own thing most of the time. But aside from that, most styles go for tighter playing. Now I don't know if ED meant the L/R guitars sounding quantized relative to each other or the beat but to my ears it was all good and natural.

I myself create two separate Shreddage tracks so I can control the MIDI and make it sound different here and there but majority of the riffs/rhythm are identical in timing.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”