shreddage 2 not changing articualtions

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I hope somebody can help me with this problem I am having.

I am using kontakt 5.3 inside of cubase. I am getting sound, but, If I change velocities on the keyboard or using the velocity editor in cubase, no articulation is getting called (all stays in sustains no matter what is the velocity magnitude). Is there a compatibility issue? Am I missing something I have to activate in the Shreddage UI?

I am using a Kawai VPC 1 as a keyboard,
cubase 6 as my host
Kontakt 5.3
I also tried to load shreddage 2 on vienna ensemble pro and got the same issue.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Check the Articulations tab and see what articulations are activated, and which velocity ranges they occupy. Also make sure that in your velocity editor, you're not "zoomed in" or scaled up. You want to see the entire 0-127 range while editing.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Hi, I have 2 obersvations that might help.

First: if you set a keyswitch for an articulation the velocity range seems to be ignored. E.g. I set 127-127 for pinch and keyswitch to "none", play a 127 note and hear the pinch. If I set the keyswitch to C0 and play the exact same note again I hier the sustain articulation. Also if I use the keyswitch and play a note at a velocity below 127 it plays the pinch articulation. In my opinion the velocity range should be greyed out if you select a keyswitch to reflect this behaviour.

Second: in the engine tab the "Vel Curve" knob seems to affect the velocity values before they get evaluated for the articulation ranges. It defaults to -10% which seems to make all the value ranges that are set as defaults for the articulations to be off. E.g. mutes should be 0-69 and sustain 70-126. In reality due to the -10% curve the sustains seem to start somewhere above 80.
Since the knob is right next to the "Velocity to Volume" knob I thought it would affect only how this conversion works within the velocity range of a single articulation.
I'm not saying this is wrong, but to me personally it was confusing and makes no sense to have a vague curve adjustment on numeric input values that will be interpreted in a way where it can make a real difference if its 69 or 70. If your input device needs adjustments because of the way a keyboard reacts for example, I'd think that should be handled somewhere before the midi data is recorded to the sequencer because when editing the notes afterwards you might want to be able to see if that velocity 70 note will be sustain or muted. I'm using a pad controller that has different velocity curves built in for example. But that's just my opinion and other people might have other needs :).
What I do think however that should be fixed is the 0% snap of the "Vel Curve" knob. Let's say I leave the muted/sustain ranges at 0-69 and 70-126 and turn the curve knob to 0%. When I set a note of velocity 70 in my sequencer now it plays muted and 71 plays sustain. The numbers are off by 1. If I set the knob to 1% then muted starts at 67 and below. I would prefer to have the option to disable the curve completely.

In theory the curve should do nothing when at 0%. If it is offsetting things by 1 then that's a little script mistake which will be fixed!
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”