Shreddage 2x fretboard confusion

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi! I have to admit that I am somewhat confused by the fretboard view of shreddage 2x. I own a 7-string myself and while I'm totally not good at playing it I thought at least I understand how tab notation works. I know it as "lowest sounding string at the bottom", like this:

Code: Select all (#)

e|---0---1---3---
B|---0---1---0---
G|---1---2---0---
D|---2---3---0---
A|---2---3---2---
E|---0---1---3---
     E   F   G
And if I am not mistaken then fretboard views usually work the same way, like when I'm looking at the guitar while playing myself. For example the Scarbee MM-Bass that came with komplete works the same way: thicker strings at the bottom higher sounding notes to the right.

Now in Shreddage 2x the thick low sounding string is at the top and the higher sounding notes still go towards the right. This doesn't really make sense to me. If I'm turning this the right way in my head it's like I'd be seeing the fretboard of someone standing and playing in front of me with a left-handed guitar, which is very confusing for someone with a right handed guitar used to seing the low strings at the bottom because that's how tabs are written.

I'd be all in favor for a left-handed view option if that helps left-handed players. The way I see it the current solution might be confusing to them too. Can anyone confirm?

But there is more to the fretboard that is confusing me :D. For example G and G# are shown at the same position on the fretboard. When I set the string selection to the lowest string and I try to play the range beyond the 24th fret It sounds like I'm playing beyond the 24th fret but the fretboard ends there and the marker is stuck at the 24th.

Now I don't have a lot of experience with this and don't know if there is a convention, but isn't the marker supposed to go between the frets where the finger would be put while playing? Or if not that then at least on the fret that the string is touching? When I select the 6th string with the keyswitch and try out how deep the range goes it seems to only go as low as E and E and F are shown on the same position of the fretboard too (open string) and F# is highlighting the fret where F would be. I'm confused. :?

When I switch to the "perform" view and select strings with the keyswitches they are named: B E A D G B E, which is standards seven-string tuning as far as I know. But that doesn't go as low as G which shreddage can play just fine. So it's hard for me to grasp what tuning my virtual guitar actually has so that I could have an idea of for example which chords I could slide where. Let's say I want to play something like this:

e|--------------
B|--------------
G|--------------
D|--------------
A|---4-/-8------
E|---4-/-8------
B|--------------
That work's fine with using singlenotes and portamento. I'm having problems with cases like this:

e|--------------
B|--------------
G|--------------
D|--------------
A|---4-/-9------
E|---4-/-9------
B|--------------
Now the second note of the first chord is equal to the first note of the second chord and when I make the midi notes overlap to trigger the portamento it sounds wrong. So I think "that's what the split midi channels feature is for, right?" and I enable it, set the kontakt instrument to omni, set the midi notes to channels 2 and 3, verify by setting the kontakt instrument to A2, playing back, A3, playing back and I hear that different strings and notes are being played. Now I set back to omni, play it back and it sounds exactly as wrong as without the midi split midi channels.
Is this something that maybe could be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes. This is a serious problem with the fretboard GUI on all Impact Soundworks guitars. I also have the Archtop and it has the same problem. The GUI represents the fretboard as if you were looking at a left-handed guitarist's instrument strung for a left-hander while he plays it.

It's just unfathomable how they could have gotten this wrong. If you look at other major guitar/bass developers, the best ones present what right-handed guitar/bass players see as they look at the neck while playing. Ample Sound and Scarbee basses use that view. Evolution and Indiginus do a worse version which shows the neck as if you were sitting across from the guitarist not actually playing the instrument. But at least it's got right-handed patterns. I sure hope they can correct this soon. You wouldn't make a GUI of the piano keyboard with the lowest key on the right because that's not what a pianist sees. What they have now is a mirror image of what a right-handed guitarist sees, so all the visual chord and scale patterns you know are useless. Yes, I can do the mirror-image thing, but it leads to confusion and takes some mental effort when I just want to be focusing on the song.

He.
I agree with those who complain about the Skreddage fretboard behavior and view.

We hear you all loud and clear. It will be changed in the next update. Other things I'm planning for that update:

* The ability to map powerchords like any other articulations, instead of the keyboard split setup we have now.
* Double-tracking from within a single patch via left/right channels.
* Better behavior for repeated sustain notes.
* Other tweaks/cleanup in the UI.

This year the Shreddage family is getting a lot of love. Drums is coming out next week, Bass 2 in ~2 months, new guitar expansion. I'll make sure this gets done right.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

zircon wrote:We hear you all loud and clear. It will be changed in the next update. Other things I'm planning for that update:

* The ability to map powerchords like any other articulations, instead of the keyboard split setup we have now.
* Double-tracking from within a single patch via left/right channels.
* Better behavior for repeated sustain notes.
* Other tweaks/cleanup in the UI.

This year the Shreddage family is getting a lot of love. Drums is coming out next week, Bass 2 in ~2 months, new guitar expansion. I'll make sure this gets done right.
You are awesome.

zircon wrote:This year the Shreddage family is getting a lot of love. Drums is coming out next week, Bass 2 in ~2 months, new guitar expansion. I'll make sure this gets done right.
No word on that 8bit thingy ? Still waiting for that... but I'll take the drums & the Bass, no questions asked! :)
One way or another, you can't deny death.
Simply said...
We're dead but we just don't know it yet.

That's in the works too. We actually just hired a project manager to help with all this.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

zircon wrote:That's in the works too. We actually just hired a project manager to help with all this.
Oh cool! Yet another something I just can't wait to get my dirty hands on! :tu:
One way or another, you can't deny death.
Simply said...
We're dead but we just don't know it yet.

I'd like to get Shreddage 2 (the latest version available now for direct download from the impactsounds.com website)....but I really need to know the following two things before purchasing-

1. On the current version, is the option definitely available to have 6 midi channels coming into Shreddage, and for each midi channel to be forced to only activate one string? My real guitar is a six string, strung with a bottom string as a low B, then low F sharp, B, E, G sharp, C sharp. Basically, I want to record MIDI tracks, then get the most accurate sound reproduction out of Shreddage with the minimum fuss. If I can't get a real open string sounding an open string in Shreddage, I wouldn't be that fussed, as long as, for example, when I'm playing the same note on two different strings, Shreddage will actually sound out two strings, not just one.

2. And I suppose something as basic as pick up selection, and tone knob control is included?

3. The strings/ frets I play on my real guitar will all relatively correspond with the notes/ strings which Shreddage produces, and the above software flaws have been fixed?

Sorry to be a bit rambly, but I've been up half the night trying to work out all the various pros and cons with a bit of an overload of google and youtube amateur research!!

1. Yes, you can send MIDI notes to specific strings by using Split MIDI channels feature. MIDI channel 1 = string 1, channel 2 = string 2 etc.

2. Unfortunately no, there is no pickup control in the Shreddage series. While this might seem like a basic feature it's actually very hard to do with virtual instruments. You have to record all the pickup outputs simultaneously to make them 100% blendable. This requires modifying the physical guitar's output and it isn't possible at all with many models. We did it for Archtop though.

3. Yes.

Thanks for the response!!! Why doesn't this forum send me an email notification to let me know you've been so helpful??...guess that's not your fault:)

1. GREAT!!!!

2. I totally understand if I can't blend the output of two pick ups,,,,but surely I can select to either have the output coming from for the bridge OR the neck pick up?? if not- boooo hooooo!:) That would be like making my dream come true, then taking it away again....
I might have to check out your Archtop VST, but I guess that one wouldn't go down to a low B string, as is necessary for what I'm doing...?

3. Nice:)

2. I'm sorry, we only have the one pickup in the Shreddage series. It's something I REALLY want to do if we ever do a Shreddage 3 (or something).

Return to “Impact Soundworks”