Quick Question About S2X

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to change a midi channel on the fly via a keyswitch or an automation ?
That'd come in handy, to minimize my work load & the clutter caused by duplicated tracks.
One way or another, you can't deny death.
Simply said...
We're dead but we just don't know it yet.

As far as I know, Kontakt does not allow you to automate the INPUT midi channel of an instrument - you have to manually change it. So if you have a loaded Shreddage II instance set to MIDI channel 1, as far as I know you can't set automation and have to snap to MIDI channel 2.

What you might be able to do depending on your DAW is set it up so that you can switch between multiple MIDI channels on one track... for example, in FL Studio, you can use the note color feature. The default color = MIDI channel 1, and each subsequent color is a different channel. So by switching between colors, you will be sending different MIDI channel data.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

To add on what Zircon said, Kontakt 5 is also smart in that it will not use up any additional memory for instances of the same instrument.

warfighter67 wrote:To add on what Zircon said, Kontakt 5 is also smart in that it will not use up any additional memory for instances of the same instrument.
Well in this case...
Simply said...

ELECTRONICHAOS wrote:
warfighter67 wrote:To add on what Zircon said, Kontakt 5 is also smart in that it will not use up any additional memory for instances of the same instrument.
Well in this case...
Just make sure they're inside of the same instance of Kontakt 5.

Visual:

DAW:
-Kontakt
--Shreddage 2
--Shreddage 2

will use only memory for 1 Shreddage 2

DAW:
-Kontakt
--Shreddage 2
-Kontakt
--Shreddage 2

will use memory for 2 kontakts (about 100mb on its own) and 2 Shreddage 2s!

warfighter67 wrote:
Visual:

DAW:
-Kontakt
--Shreddage 2
--Shreddage 2

will use only memory for 1 Shreddage 2

DAW:
-Kontakt
--Shreddage 2
-Kontakt
--Shreddage 2

will use memory for 2 kontakts (about 100mb on its own) and 2 Shreddage 2s!
It's not so much about the memory & cpu usage... (altho... my 6gb RAM tend to run out pretty fast when FL is opened! lol) It's more about not having to duplicate tracks and have a trillion notes to mess around with.

Let's say I'm playing a riff which both guitars are playing exactly the same, it saves me from either having a layer OR having both tracks on the same piano roll (the latter tends to create some confusion.)

Being able to switch midi channels on the fly would actually allow me to play riffs which having to duplicate the tracks when it isn't needed. (See it as an automation... or a keyswitch, like the string selector if you like. Turn the nob to switch midi channels.)

Like I said, it would minimize the clutter on my piano roll, make things easier to edit & understand (sometimes I get lost... I do.)
But then... I realize, it's probably a question I should ask to FL or NI devs since I don't think Zircon can actually do something about this.
zircon wrote:As far as I know, Kontakt does not allow you to automate the INPUT midi channel of an instrument - you have to manually change it. So if you have a loaded Shreddage II instance set to MIDI channel 1, as far as I know you can't set automation and have to snap to MIDI channel 2.

What you might be able to do depending on your DAW is set it up so that you can switch between multiple MIDI channels on one track... for example, in FL Studio, you can use the note color feature. The default color = MIDI channel 1, and each subsequent color is a different channel. So by switching between colors, you will be sending different MIDI channel data.
You can edit them manually but you can't automate them.
(Well, as far as I know... I haven't found any "Edit Event" for the midi channels in FL.)
Simply said...

Return to “Impact Soundworks”