Why No R&B Electric Rhythm Guitar?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the owner of 7 ISW plugins, it goes without saying that I love their work. I keep coming back because, for whatever reason, their products work for me. I can get them to sound the way I want them to sound and do what I want them to do (and here's the key..) quickly and easily. That's why I desperately need ISW to do an R&B "Electric" Rhythm Guitar plug. I know, I know, "That kind of guitar is not as popular in the "Main Stream" as it used to be." But I'm willing to bet you'd sell enough copies to make it worthwhile. So let mine be the first signature on the petition.
-mike

Do you have some sound examples of the kind of thing you're looking for? What are your thoughts on our Archtop guitar?
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I'm sure you can get the sound you're looking for if you have the right FX signal. ISW guitars are very versatile.
Cockos Reaper | VSTi Metal | Vocal Synths | Shreddage 2 Fanboy | VSTi Guitar Enthusiast

Currently writing a Vocaloid EP.
youtube.com/user/darkflamesquirrel

lol, I have Archtop. (Like I said, "love your work"). Just got it, so it may have what I'm looking for once I work with it. But I guess I'm looking for something right-out-the-box that can go from smooth to funky, but operates with loops the way Acoustic Revolutions does. Quick examples might be, Groove With You - Isley Brothers and September - Earth, Wind and Fire.

Sound do-able?

-mike

DarkFlameSquirrel wrote:I'm sure you can get the sound you're looking for if you have the right FX signal. ISW guitars are very versatile.
I bet your right DFS. I have to get more into programming. I've been such a "preset" guy in the past that I sorta got lazy. I think Archtop holds a lot of promise.

Thanks,
mike

Yep, definitely sounds like Archtop, especially Groove With You. I think your best bet is just messing around with clean tones, with some low freq's cut off.
Although admittedly I mostly work with metal so I can't say I know much about this style to be much help.

Once the new Shreddage guitar is out, that engine will also be applied to the other ISW guitars which features a preset system! Hopefully a few presets in your preferred style will be implemented.
Cockos Reaper | VSTi Metal | Vocal Synths | Shreddage 2 Fanboy | VSTi Guitar Enthusiast

DarkFlameSquirrel wrote:Yep, definitely sounds like Archtop, especially Groove With You. I think your best bet is just messing around with clean tones, with some low freq's cut off.
Although admittedly I mostly work with metal so I can't say I know much about this style to be much help.

Once the new Shreddage guitar is out, that engine will also be applied to the other ISW guitars which features a preset system! Hopefully a few presets in your preferred style will be implemented.
Shreddage II and Archtop both already have preset save/load feature :)

warfighter67 wrote:
DarkFlameSquirrel wrote:Yep, definitely sounds like Archtop, especially Groove With You. I think your best bet is just messing around with clean tones, with some low freq's cut off.

Shreddage II and Archtop both already have preset save/load feature :)
I completely worded that incorrectly... I meant stock presets will be included. How embarrassing haha.

mike841 wrote:Quick examples might be, Groove With You - Isley Brothers and September - Earth, Wind and Fire.
I really don't know the technical details of the ISW Archtop, but to me it looks like a HB PU at the Neck, and a Piezo at the Bridge. So it's definitely more Acoustic (it's a hollow body, steel string guitar) and "Jazz oriented" than a Fender Strat (Single Coil) type guitar.

Just one bit of info:
The Isley Brothers main guitarist uses Strat type guitars. Sometimes with HB or Hotrails in the bridge.

Earth Wind and Fire seem to have used Gibson Les Paul and Fender in their videos and live sessions. So Humbucker and Single Coil. But not massively overdriven guitar amps of course.

mike841 wrote:Sound do-able?
With the right tone shaping pre the guitar amp, I'm sure it is doable.

I think if you want a more "jazzy" tone out of Shreddage X, maybe try a Low Cut filter to reduce the huge bottom end of this guitar a bit. Else, try Archtop's Bridge PU (which I think is a piezo), but don't overdrive the latter too much. You can also try to thin out the Neck PU of the Archtop (again, low cut), maybe this suits your desired tone better for rhythm guitar.

Run that into an amp like a Fender or Marshall, but not in Hi-Gain mode
So: Guitar -> Compression -> Pedal FX (chorus/phaser/dealy) -> Clean Amp / suitable cabinet

If you have Revalver HPse (bundled with Shreddage X), it should come with a Peavy Valve King and Peavy 3120 - try the first one of these for clean sounds. That and the right combination of pedal FX should do the trick.
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:try Archtop's Neck PU (which I think is a piezo)
Isn't. Piezos are pretty much ALWAYS mounted on the bridge saddles. The archtops usually always have two humbucking pickups.

Arg! Typo... sorry... will edit ASAP. Thanks for pointing that out.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

:)

Hey Gang,

Been tooooo busy trying all the tips and tricks you guys suggested. Never liked experimenting. I just like to load a patch and go. When a plug doesn't give me what I'm looking for with minimal effort, I move on. And although I'm not a guitar player. I always knew how different amps affect the sound. I know what to expect from a Marshall stack verse a Fender Twin. But wow! Never knew how important things like, type of pickup and pickup position really matter. Now, run that guitar with that pickup thru that amp with that cabinet into that...(well, you can imagine how my mind was blown!) Changed my whole perspective. Can't thank you guys enough.

Regards,

mike

Return to “Impact Soundworks”