PEAK RIDER - Sidechain dynamic envelope processor - Our first plugin available now!

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PEAK RIDER is Now Available!

Hi all, Impact Soundworks has been producing sample libraries since 2008, but we are now venturing into the realm of plugin development. Our first plugin Peak Rider is now available and we're very excited about it!

Peak Rider is an effect that matches the dynamics (peaks) of a sidechain input to its primary input. It offers several processing modes and tweaking functions, including a ducking mode which inverts the sidechain input, dry/wet knob, response time, and so forth. The plugin works in real-time and is sample-accurate, so it can be used even in live/tracking scenarios.

TRIAL VERSION - Download Now!

What's it for?
---

Peak Rider can be used in countless mix scenarios where you want the dynamics of one signal to match another signal perfectly. Here are just a few examples.

1. Applying saturation + tape excitation to a drum loop normally makes it sound much fuller, but at the expense of dynamics. Peak Rider can match the processed loop to the dynamics of the dry loop, thus preserving 100% of transients and making sure the noise floor stays down where it belongs.

2. A sustained tonal sound like a pad can be matched to the dynamics of a rhythmic part, thus giving the tonal sound a perfectly locked-in groove.

3. White or pink noise can be shaped using a kick or snare track in order to add extra 'sizzle' to your drum hits.

4. Vocals can be given heavy reverb and then matched to a dry vocal track, creating a very spacious vocal sound without excessive reverb buildup.

5. Using the inverted (ducking) mode, a delay channel could be set to trigger only on the soft dynamics of a vocal part, without interfering with the loud notes.

There are countless other mix & sound design possibilities as well.

KEY FEATURES
* Single and multi-band processing
* Minimum & linear-phase crossovers
* Linked and independent stereo analysis
* Mid/side and left/right stereo processing
* Full control over band gain and envelope (attack, decay, transient analysis)
* FOUR processing modes: Exact, Noboost, Duck, Limit
* Full control over effect strength w/ Range and Mix
* Suitable for zero-latency / real-time operation
* Unintrusive serial number copy protection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-4DFnRwMQ

What's the difference between Peak Rider and a compressor, limiter, etc?
---
Compressors, limiters, expanders (etc) must be set with careful attack, threshold, release, knee (etc) values based on program material. Even with a sidechaining compressor, you would need to continuously adjust these settings to get the same sort of matching effect as Peak Rider, which is incredibly time-consuming and must be redone depending on both the input and sidechain signal. Peak Rider has a "threshold" that constantly changes based on the relationship between the input and sidechain, and it may expand OR compress depending on the signals.

Platform / Price
---
VST & AU, 32/64bit
Free Trial available
INTRO: $79 / List $99

Read More & Download Peak Rider
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Been looking forward to this plugin for a while since I first heard of the concept.. but I'm quite disappointed in how convoluted it is to get hold of a basic demo. Why on earth do you have it behind a forced registration scheme? This is such a major MAJOR turnoff that I didn't even bother with it. Not to mention the plugin mutes every 15 seconds.. that's just brutally stupid.

When.. oh when can you developers learn to create proper demos. Restricting things this much and making it a hassle to get hold of the demo makes absolutely NO SENSE at all. :dog:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I don't have a problem telling a vendor who I am before getting a demo. Worst-case scenario is I might get some unsolicited emails from a vendor, but one that I've already expressed an interest in anyway. As long as they don't go overboard with the emails or sell my address to the Russian mob, I don't mind at all.

The 15-second mute, though, I have to agree with you on that one. It's especially confusing given that it's a dynamics processor. At first I thought I must be doing something wrong, like a too-low threshold. I'd prefer a little unobtrusive beep. At least then you'd know it wasn't the normal operation of the plugin causing the anomaly.

But don't let that put you off. This plugin has enormous potential, and it's something I've been waiting on for years. That little drum demo doesn't even scratch the surface of what I suspect this thing will be able to do. I'm putting it through its paces now...looking good so far.

Ah, I didn't see your post here. I'll be honest... I don't think filling out a short form to download a demo is laborious. And yes, we do want your email address so we can send an update if you decide not to purchase Peak Rider now - for example, if we release a new format like AAX/VST3. And we do add you to our main mailing list which we use only a couple times a month, and which you can unsubscribe from in one click.

The truth of the matter is, as much as I would like, we are not as big as East West or Native Instruments yet. Reaching new customers who have expressed interest in our products (via demos or freebies) is one of the biggest ways we reach new people, and that's something necessary for us to grow. I hope that explanation is satisfactory.

You DON'T need to create a username/password though... certainly not to access your download.

We're going to adjust the demo limitation to 30 seconds / shorter silence next.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Great impression of this plugin so far after playing around with the demo! Nice work

I am seeing one issue though. I'm not seeing the option for sidechaining when using this as an AU within Logic Pro X. I've had to use Bidule (which does give me the sidechain option) to route sidechain input into the plugin, which is a nice work around but unideal.

I've uploaded an image of the expected sidechain option in Logic Pro X.

On an unrelated side note, this reminds me a lot of Fruity Peak Controller, and was thinking it would be cool to have a similar VST/AU that mapped peaks to MIDI automation values. Perhaps there's one I don't already know of..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

We're working on adding a native sidechain option to the AU version. I should tell you that Apple does not make it easy! I emailed their developer support and even THEY haven't been able to figure it out yet. They are forwarding me on to the actual Logic core team now. Kind of absurd how hard they make it for plugin developers to work with their daw...

zircon wrote:We're working on adding a native sidechain option to the AU version.
Any updates about this?

Return to “Impact Soundworks”