Shreddage 2 won't palm mute G# (11th Fret)

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there.

I'm using Shreddage 2 and I am having a problem. I'm imputting single MIDI notes with the powerchords turned on. I have plotted some open chords along with palm mutes and it seems to be going fine until I get to the final chord, which is a G#. The G# will not palm mute, even if I lower the velocity all the way down near the bottom. It keeps on playing the chord open. I dragged the MIDI notes down to see if it's the same with any other notes and from what I can remember (i'm not on my DAW system right now) it also won't palm mute F# either. The final chord is seems to palm mute is F. I should mention that it palm mutes the lower G# (4th fret) and the others fine. It's the G# on the 11th fret that it will not palm mute. Any ideas?

Thanks alot

Which string is this? And is this the latest version of S2?
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Hi zircon, thanks for replying!

I am using the latest version of S2.

Okay so imagine that i'm playing these 4 powerchords:

C, D#, F, G#

I want to start playing the C powerchord from the 3rd Fret using the A, D and G strings. Not at the 8th Fret using the Top 3 strings. So from the C at the 3rd fret I want to simply go up the guitar neck for each powerchord. So each chord will be played at these frets:

C - 3rd fret. A, D, G strings.
D# - 6th fret. A, D, G strings.
F - 8th fret. A, D, G strings.
G# - 11th Fret. A, D, G strings.

It doesn't seem to be palm muting on the G# at the 11th fret. I have the velocity near the bottom and it just plays the chord open. It palm mutes fine on the G# at the 4th Fret using the top 3 strings.

How would I go about making sure that shreddage plays these powerchords on at the frets and strings I mentioned above, and also if I can solve the palm mute problem at the 11th fret?

Thanks!

Admittedly I'm still having trouble following what you're trying to do. Are you talking about the powerchord articulation? Or actually constructing powerchords by sequencing individual notes?

Are you triggering palm mutes via velocity switching or keyswitching?

A surefire way to figure out what's going on is to use the string select knob to select the desired string. Then, use a keyswitch for palm muting and play up the string, one note at a time.

What I can say is that the A (5) string extends from A1 to A3. But the palm mutes do stop before that, because above that fret they don't sound very good. They were never recorded beyond a certain point for each string.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Sorry if i'm not being clear enough!

Yeah I am using the powerchord articulation. So all I have to do in my DAW's MIDI editor is input the one keyboard note to create the full powerchord. I am not constructing powerchords by inputting each note.I am triggering the palm mutes by simply lowering the velocity below a certain level. When the velocity is higher, it plays the chords open. When the velocity is lower, it palm mutes them.

I have just been playing around with it something that I noticed on the fretboard is that before the notes were being played using other strings instead of going up the neck on one string. I have added in a keyswitch, as you can see below in the MIDI print screen. The powerchords / notes now play up the neck on the single string (A string) I want, but the final one still isn't palm muting.

I have print screened the MIDI and the fretboard to show you:

As you can see. The velocity has been lowered so that every powerchord is palm muted. The first 3 chords palm mute just fine. It's the final chord.. the G# that does not palm mute. I have just checked and it actually stops palm muting from the F# (9th fret), which is two below the G#. It stops palm muting from the F# (9th fret) and all the to the end of the powerchord keys.

Here is the final G# powerchord that doesn't palm mute shown on the fretboard.

I hope this helps!

I have just decided to see if the individual note keys palm mute instead of the powerchord keys. I have just moved all of my MIDI notes up from the powerchord keys to where the individual note keys are and it mutes them just fine, on the same fret and string. The problem just seems to be with the powerchords from F# (9th Fret) and up to the end of the powerchords.

Maybe you guys just didn't sample palm mutes for powerchords this far up?

Thanks alot for taking your time to reply.

Yeah I believe that is past the point where mutes were recorded. For IBZ+SRP we did record mutes on higher frets but didn't think to do that with the original S2.

By the way, it looks like your instrument may be out of date. Be sure to grab the update at the top of this forum!

Ahh right I see! I'll try inputting the individual notes to create the chord instead and see how that sounds palm muted.

I might have a look at the IBZ or SRP in the future. I'm just gonna keep playing with S2 at the moment :)
Thanks alot for your help, I appreciate it!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”