Wish Lists for V1.0

Official support for: sonigen.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to make a plan for getting to V1.0. Currently i have a long, in fact very long, list of requests and ideas. What I'd really like to do is prioritize them into three lists...

1. Features that must be present or fixed in Version 1.0

2. Features that would be good to see in Version 1.0

3. Stuff that can be done later down the line.

So if anyone is so inclined I would appreciate it if they could tell me what they think regarding 1 & 2, since they are really what concerns getting to V1.0.

If you could make a list and either email it to me at..

chris[at]sonigen{dot}com

Or or post it here.

I likely wont reply in detail to them, but i will likely release the roadmap once I've worked things through.

Thanks,
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

= For me the main features that must be in v.1.0 is:
1. Adjustable supersaw osc voice count (1-9)
2. Panable individual inputs to the voice mixer
3. Unison up to 9 voices and polyphony up to 144 voices (9*16), or more
4. Falling saw shape in LFO
7. Sine/Triangle Osc.
8. Pulse/Saw mod. input
6. Showing cutoff value also in Hz on filters
8. Renaming Modules
9. Keyboard input of values
10.Mute/Bypass on modules
11.Writing automation to host

= 2. Features that would be good to see in Version 1.0:

- Precise knob control with righ mouse button with 0.01 step on all knobs (especially on LFO's Hz Rate)
- Instead of supersaw osc -super pulsaw osc with adjustable voice count, also - Super Sine/Triangle osc instead of Sine/Triangle, with adjustable voice count (From 1 to 9)
- Maybe PulSaw and "Super" separation is no longer needed, as we can set voice count to 1 in "super" oscs.
- Starting phase adjustment on osc's with ability to modulate it.
- Analog filters with drive/saturation and musical sounding with 100% resonance (sometimes i want to turn filter resonance as a sound generator - with white noise and cutoff keytracking)
- Tempo sync in delay effect module

= 3. Stuff that can be done later down the line:

- Formant filter
- Eq as module (with dc offset elimination option), and eq as global effect, other effects like chorus/phaser/overdrive
- Oversampling feature
- "Super" sync and wavetable osc's
- Advanced ADSFR with mod inputs for each A,D,S,F,R
- Layering with separate master section for each layer... (unison, detune, portamento, etc.)
- Arpegiator
- Global Shuffle/Swing control affecting BPM synced LFO's and delay effects.

automatable controller and midi-controller working with FL-Studio.
music is a force... so stay with it !!!

These are on my wishlist / came first in mind.

Rhythmic and logic modules. Gate-, CV- and trigger-sequencer and scale quantizer (arpeggiator).

- Clock divider
- Clock multiplier
- AND/OR/XOR/NOT (Inv)

Slew, S&H, Ring modulator, waveshaper, bit crusher.

More filter modules.

Sampler/Sample playback (basic).

Audio in.

Want to add one feature to the first group - Oscilloscope (in addition to spectrum analyser, or make swichable spectrum/scope mode for analyser module)

As i currently play a it with the additive synthesis in Alchemy, Cameleon5000 and Synthmaster 2.5 it would be nice to have an additive oscillator.

An additive oscillator inspired by the one in Synthmaster 2.5 would be nice:
- 8-16 partials for each oscillator (8 in Synthmaster but with selectable harmonics)
- selectable harmonic for each partial (e.g. 0 to 64 or 0-32)
- detune amount (+/-) for each partial for more precise settings

Important controls for each partial are a Volume/Amp knob, one for the harmonic and one for fine tuning. AFAIk in Synthmaster the range of the fine tune is +/- 1 semitone like in "normal" oscillators. Synthmaster also got adjustments for Pan and different waveforms but a Sine wave would be enough IMO and Pan mod is not necessary.
Using two or more oscillators this way could then lead to more partials, lets say 32 with two OSCs with 16 partials each.

With a possibility to modulate the Volume and the detune amount of each partial some really complex sounds should be possible.

This feature is one which is maybe for adding later but if it would be possible for v1.0 it would be nice.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Writing automation to host (especially with a modular, capturing all those random little tweaks :))
Voice 'work' (legato/retrigging options for envelopes/note priority etc)

Sine and Triangle oscillators
Oscilloscope

Modules that make a modular more fun than a normal synth. :) eg. slew generators, s&h, ring modulator, maybe some weird sequencer module.

I forgot to add:

First or Second group:

- Simple Fm operator - with ability to modutate amounts of FM without use of additional amplifier module... (if it not so cpu heavy)

Thrid Group:

- Feedback osc like in JP 8000/8080. (But i have no idea how it works, though)
Last edited by SoulState on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

GaryG wrote: 3.
ring modulator
You can make ring modulation with modulation of amplifier level by additional oscillator.

SoulState wrote:
GaryG wrote: 3.
ring modulator
You can make ring modulation with modulation of amplifier level by additional oscillator.
You can but it wont be alias free, for inharmonic sounds you wont notice very much but you may do on harmonic ones. Anyway I do intend to do an oversampled ring modulator at some point.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

One addition about advanced ADSFR - maybe along with controllable ADSFR parameters, make visual editing of curve slopes? Goal - to be able to recreate any desired curve (E.g. if i want to simulate Access Virus curves, or other synth)

I just found out about Sonigen on electro-music.com. Downloaded it and kicked the tires. You're off to a great start. I've been working with modular synths since 1968 on the first Moog Modulars. I have one of those beasts and several Nord Modulars. Those had a fixed filter bank module which has rarely been included in analog or digital synths since. (The Nord G2 doesn't have one of these, but the G1 does). I think it is very important. It is a basic ingredient in subtractive synthesis.

Other modules of importance:

Ring Modulator
Pitch Shifter
Frequency shifter
envelope follower

I don't see a sequencer. Good idea, one can use an external sequencer module. Everyone's taste is different in this area anyway. Same with the reverb, but some advanced synthesists do put reverb in feedback loops to great effect.

Keep up the good work.

--Howard

Hi,

I've added your suggestions to the list. Ring mod and envelope follower are on the todo as are sequencer and arpeggiator.

Pitch and frequency shifters maybe at some point.

Fixed filter bank is a nice idea, someone had already suggested a polymoog resonator section, which seems similar. So something along those lines would be very useful i think.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

+1 on the additive oscillator. Also a true legato mode in group 1 and an FM oscillator in group 2.

nineofkings wrote:+1 on the additive oscillator. Also a true legato mode in group 1 and an FM oscillator in group 2.
FM oscillator is done, will be in next beta,

What's true legato mode? Do you mean legato envelopes, that don't retrigger when played legato? If so that's done and will be in the next beta.

thanks,
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Return to “Sonigen”