Automation - How many parameters?

Official support for: sonigen.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok I'm fixing to add host automation, it'll be accessible via the controllers feature. The main issues are that VST2.4 doesnt support variable numbers of parameters so you have to pick a fixed number when the plugin is loaded. Then because I dont have the project wide plumbing in place to add this to every knob and control on the front panel, it'll just be added to the controllers menu. So only module inputs can be automated.

So what's the maximum number of controllers you're likely to need?

I'm thinking of having a text file with controller names in, that is loaded at start up, so you can customize them to your own names. So you could have some named cutoff, resonance, pitch etc.. Or eggs, bacon, fried bread, if you really want to.

What do you think?

Modulation of all front panel controls may come at some point but not in the near future. It's a big job, and it isnt really practical with VST2.4 since it seems to only support a fixed number of parameters. And an automation controller will provide a large chunk of the same functionality. The most typically automated parameters will be accessible this way. And i have most of the plumbing already in though the controllers/modifiers feature.

Thanks,
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Edit: Nevermind.

How many parameters? I think i never use more than 10...
Whether it will be possible to automate A D S F R values ?
This is important thing, that i can't control with controllers ((
Advanced ADSFR with this controls would be good, in addition to standart cpu-friendly ADSFR...

And i like idea to rename controllers

Well I am thinking either 12 or 16, at least for now. If people want more than that it shouldn't be difficult to expand it later down the line.

I have the basics working now. I just need add to tie up a few loose ends and do some tests, so hopefully should have a new beta version ready for Sunday night.

The ADSFR thing is on the todo list, it's been often requested so it is near the top.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Return to “Sonigen”