New GUI

Official support for: sonigen.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Damn just went to download the beta to try this and no Mac version! Oh well I still have my Nord G2 I suppose.

aMUSEd wrote:Damn just went to download the beta to try this and no Mac version! Oh well I still have my Nord G2 I suppose.
I think I f**king hate you! :D

This synth is incredible. I hope to be buying version 1.0. I'll happily pay for quality.

I have played with several digital modulars,
would like to see the screenshot,
but it is just an x here in Win8 64-bit IE 10.0.9200.16580

nix808 wrote:I have played with several digital modulars,
would like to see the screenshot,
but it is just an x here in Win8 64-bit IE 10.0.9200.16580
http://www.sonigen.com/

There's a light skin coming in the next version too.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Ty!
Looks good to me.
Will spend a couple of hours with it in the upcoming weeks.
Looks neat and straightforward.

Hey peeps who use this-
what is the most singular things about this system?
-like what sets it apart from other modulars.

I have used Tass, NordG2, Karmafx, Reaktor and Flowstone

all success, Sonigen, among
Last edited by nix808 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

nix808 wrote:Ty!
Looks good to me.
Will spend a couple of hours with it in the upcoming weeks.
Looks neat and not straightforward.

Hey peeps who use this-
what is the most singular things about this system?
-like what sets it apart from other modulars.

I have used Tass, NordG2, Karmafx, Reaktor and Flowstone

all success, Sonigen, among
It's very easy to use, in that list karma fx could be the more comparable.

For me the special thing about sonigen is how smooth all the elements interact. When you get such quality sounds with just a couple of modules and none or almost no effects you know you are in front of a good synth. For example you can modulate the filter or the oscilator pitch with a noise wave, nothing so special, but the way that sonigen let you dial and get results in the more delicate settings, with just that little bit of modulation that sits right. That is rare in many synths.

Well, I wish I could explain it better, my english is just so so.

Long story short. Sonigen is amazing and for that it doesn't need to be cpu heavy, a true gem in the vsti world.

Hey thanks!
I have edited my post-
I intended to say straightforward.
Gotta listen to the thing now.
Now I have both Karmafx and this on my wanna list.

I like the liquid of modulating filter cut
with a random stream,
and FM noise sounds interesting-
will try it in the Modular

exactly.
I could download a free vst synth every day for 5 years , and the oscillators all sound the same. Thin , brittle , digital , tinny......
They add a lot of bells and whistles to disguise the oscillators. There are a few notable exceptions , like Audjoo Helix , synapse audio Dune , but the rest leave me perplexed as to why everyone thinks they are amazing , such as Synth 1 , which doesn't sound anything like a Nord , as I have one.

Then , I realise they are comparing oranges with oranges. If only they heard Sonigen !! I mean , holy cow....the thing is a veritable Beast !!
I wasn't initially won over by the look of it , but when I heard the oscillators....man.....the sound is fantastic !!

Just one question Chris , if you get a second.
I was trying to automate the cutoff last night , and in FL , you can browse the parameters which brings up a midi CC list. Which number corresponds with cutoff ?

2NDMOUSE wrote:Just one question Chris , if you get a second.
I was trying to automate the cutoff last night , and in FL , you can browse the parameters which brings up a midi CC list. Which number corresponds with cutoff ?
You need to assign a MIDI CC number to it. If you double right click on any control it will bring up a menu within which you can choose either a MIDI CC or assign a VST automation number.

Alternatively you can use the controller module, which allows you to choose MIDI CC's, and has the advantages of being able to set ranges and you can scale the MIDI with another mod source connected to the input. Also, using the controller modules means any MIDI assignments will be saved with the patch... not so if you use the double right click menu.

By the way, I've had my eye on Sonigen Modular for a while, but haven't until yesterday downloaded and used it. Thanks to you 2NDMOUSE, and your review of it, I spent all yesterday playing with it, and am I glad I did... what a lovely sounding and useable synth. Very IMPRESSED indeed! Easy on my aging computer's CPU aswell. I'll defo be buying it when V1 is released. Thanks again, and a big thanks to Chris... impeccable work! :D

Satch1 wrote:
You need to assign a MIDI CC number to it. If you double right click on any control it will bring up a menu within which you can choose either a MIDI CC or assign a VST automation number.

Alternatively you can use the controller module, which allows you to choose MIDI CC's, and has the advantages of being able to set ranges and you can scale the MIDI with another mod source connected to the input. Also, using the controller modules means any MIDI assignments will be saved with the patch... not so if you use the double right click menu.

By the way, I've had my eye on Sonigen Modular for a while, but haven't until yesterday downloaded and used it. Thanks to you 2NDMOUSE, and your review of it, I spent all yesterday playing with it, and am I glad I did... what a lovely sounding and useable synth. Very IMPRESSED indeed! Easy on my aging computer's CPU aswell. I'll defo be buying it when V1 is released. Thanks again, and a big thanks to Chris... impeccable work! :D

Thanks Satch. Not sure if you're using FL or if that method is universal. Not in front of my music laptop , in order to try that so im not sure if the double click thing works in FLs fruity wrapper GUI .
In FL , when you click on the vst wrapper menu , you can click on "browse parameters" which opens up a list of all the midi cc parameters , which you can then click and enter automation curves in the event editor that appears.
The lot of the parameters are named , but I dont see any for cutoff or resonance.

You read my review ? Good , good. I believe in paying it forward.
So many people grab everything they can get....free music , free vst , free samples , but dont stop and say thank you. Its very easy for those people to get discouraged , and I was absolutely amazed that no-one else had took the time to review it , so I was indebted and compelled to. I think a few more reviews would help chris get a bit more attention for sonigen. You can have the best product in the world , but if no-one else knows its there , you're just pissing in the wind , to coin a colloquial phrase. Us guys should help out and shine a spotlight on it.

That said , when you find something that you consider a sonic secret weapon , you kinda dont want anyone else to find it lol

New skin looks good (I like the old one too) ... good luck with the v1 release. :tu:

Satch1 wrote:

Hope this isn't seen as spam , but this is what I was trying to do. The bass at the end is courtesy of the sonigen.
I was trying to automate the cutoff to make an acid bass
https://soundcloud.com/2ndmouse/solus
I realise its over-limited and a few things are too loud. Worked at it for 17 hours straight and my ears were tired by the end. Will take another session to apply the fixes , but yeah , the bass is sonigen from about 4 minutes onwards.
I wonder if chris would mind a mini sub-forum of "heres what I made with sonigen" kinda thing ........

2NDMOUSE wrote: Just one question Chris , if you get a second.
You have to manually link the knob to the MIDICC or VST parameter. If you double click the right mouse button on the cutoff knob it'll bring up popup menu so you can select either a MIDICC or VST parameter to automate it.

I you toggle the "Auto" button on the top toolbar it will show what knobs are currently tied to what MIDICC or VST parameters. MIDICC are shown as 0, 1, ect.. number, the VST parameters are shown as V0, V1, etc...
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Thanks Chris , I double right-clicked as you said , but I must confess my ignorance as to what to do next.

If I move right from vst , i get a list from 0 to 19
If i move right from midi , I get a cc list from 0 to 119

Im not sure how to proceed from there , as I usually just right click on anything that is FL native and click " edit events " or , if it isnt native , I click on the wrapper , choose " browse parameters " then select whatever is highlighted in the list that appears , by right clicking and do " edit events " again , but im generally ignorant of midi , so I dont know how to set any of those to edit the cutoff information.

Are they only for linking to external controllers , or can I automate internally as well , just drawing the curves manually ?

Return to “Sonigen”