Skin design competition? Skin improvements? What do you think?

Official support for: sonigen.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm considering having a skin design competition with the winner getting a licence for V1.0. What do you think?

Also I would like to hear what I can do to improve the skinning functionality to make life easier for skin designers. I've been ironing out a few quirks already, all settings back in one text file, fixing some things that weren't working quite right.

I know most other skins are usually all bitmaps but I'd avoided that cause i didn't want to have to remake loads of bitmaps every time I changed something. But with the design being pretty settled now I could change to bitmaps.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Is it possible to set a background bitmap?

Not currently no. I have been considering adding background images for each of the modules but it's complicated a bit by the fact the modules vertical size changes when you add new inputs. So there would still need to be a background fill and a border to go with the bitmap. I had considered a background fill, either solid color, gradient or tiled bitmap, then the actual module bitmap over the top, finally followed by drawing the border.

TBH that's all a bit more work than I want to put into it at the moment. And there's been so little interest (i need a tumble weed smiley here) in the competition idea it doesn't seem worth doing.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

sonigen wrote:Not currently no. I have been considering adding background images for each of the modules but it's complicated a bit by the fact the modules vertical size changes when you add new inputs. So there would still need to be a background fill and a border to go with the bitmap. I had considered a background fill, either solid color, gradient or tiled bitmap, then the actual module bitmap over the top, finally followed by drawing the border.

TBH that's all a bit more work than I want to put into it at the moment. And there's been so little interest (i need a tumble weed smiley here) in the competition idea it doesn't seem worth doing.
Ohh i didn't mean module backgrounds, but rather a general background behind the modules, instead of the solid black one....some wood pattern would be nice.

As much as I like Sonigen Modular and its look (I made a skin for a previous version) I think having only one prize is not enough.
IMO, you should give away 3 to 5 licenses for the top-voted skins, the winner becoming the default one.
This way, you'll get a lot more interest and you'll be able to offer high-quality alternative skins to your customers.
I haven't got to skinning the current version yet but if there is only one winner, I won't participate as putting in many hours wouldn't be worth it. If you make it 3 to 5 licenses as I suggested, I'm in.
Edit: regarding skinning, we need more images to play with as otherwise, each skin will simply look like a variation of the default one.
I'll let you know if I think if more things.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Ghostwave wrote: This way, you'll get a lot more interest and you'll be able to offer high-quality alternative skins to your customers.
I think that in general you have here a really really good product, and you have to create some more buzz about it somehow, in any way......
I don't wanna see Sonigen Modular ends up like Audjoo Helix or Vember Audio Surge being an unfulfilled potential synth.

ferez21 wrote:I don't wanna see Sonigen Modular ends up like Audjoo Helix or Vember Audio Surge an being an unfulfilled potential synth.
I own both and I love them to pieces. However, I agree that they are both often overlooked.
Sonigen has already got the sound to become a winner but it definitely needs more buzz.
It needs reviews, 3rd party banks, tutorials, tons of audio demos on SoundCloud and great looks.
Don't forget that modular synths are niche, take a lot of time to program and therefore don't appeal to everyone.

Ghostwave wrote: Don't forget that modular synths are niche, take a lot of time to program and therefore don't appeal to everyone.
I was in fact anti-modulars until i stumbled upon Sonigen Modular. It's way more convenient to build sounds than with any other modular iv'e ever demoed, and i think the marketing here need to get strong on this very point. As you said, the sound quality of this thing is superb indeed, and now it needs lots of videos, lots of soundbanks etc. to attract potential buyers.

Any update on this?

sonigen wrote:Not currently no. I have been considering adding background images for each of the modules but it's complicated a bit by the fact the modules vertical size changes when you add new inputs. So there would still need to be a background fill and a border to go with the bitmap. I had considered a background fill, either solid color, gradient or tiled bitmap, then the actual module bitmap over the top, finally followed by drawing the border.

Check out Reapers themeing, no need for the overlays for sizes, you can set stretching bounds(Using pixel colors), works very very well ;)
Duh

Karten wrote:Any update on this?
Hi yeah, I've shelved the idea for now. At least until I can find the time to update / improve the skinning functionality.

FWIW i agree with all the points you made, about the skin, demos, reviews etc..

It is all stuff I have plans for but not quite yet.

Thanks,
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

- smaller cables or not outlined...

I strongly believe that an attractive looking GUI would boost attention and customers at a rapid rate. People want something that is easy on the eyes so that they can sound great, AND be inspired in their workflow, AND show off to their friends, etc.

It would do much for you gentlemen if you gave the interface look a little more "analogue" character, such as moogish knobs, steel, wood, and LEDs. At the same time you could add your own personal look to it. Those analogue knobs would sell for sure though.

Yeah I agree, tbh the plan was to make the skin totally customizable and then hold a competition or pay a processional to do it. My graphics skills are not great. At some point that's still the plan anyway, it's just a bit more complicated than most synths cause a lot of the elements need to be resizable.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

MrRastaMon wrote:I strongly believe that an attractive looking GUI would boost attention and customers at a rapid rate. People want something that is easy on the eyes so that they can sound great, AND be inspired in their workflow, AND show off to their friends, etc.

It would do much for you gentlemen if you gave the interface look a little more "analogue" character, such as moogish knobs, steel, wood, and LEDs. At the same time you could add your own personal look to it. Those analogue knobs would sell for sure though.
I like this idea. It's an amazingly good modular and a beautiful skin to match with some classic looking knobs/panels/LED's would be a nice touch. The current one is very usable and definitely not an eyesore, but giving those extra options of a few different knob types or font changes even, would put this in the spotlight more. So far, to me, it's the most friendly softsynth modular I've worked with. Very easy to design sounds on. Just to get it to that visual point where it looks like you're opening up a new aged Buchla or M100 or other Eurorack style would be nice for very long sessions. That's a bias of mine though. I like very polished GUI's and find it influences how much I use a synth quite a bit.

Haven't used it as much lately because of other projects, but still stopping by the forum here to see updates and stuff. This is a winner of a modular.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Sonigen”