Rhino - Which Parameters For Drastic Modulation

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Big Tick
Sometime you suggested tweaking the user controls to modulate a preset.
But in most cases these controls are not drastic enough. I make exclusively ambient music and want to have some more drastic changes or modulations.
So could you please give me some hints, which parameters I should
1. associate with the user controls or even better
2. which parameters I should/can associate directly with my controller-keyboard via midi CC

Thank You very much
akira

It depends on the patch, there is no general rule there.
You will find that for patches that use FM, assigning several FM modulation values to the same user control can give very drastic results. This is used extensively in the Morpheus bank I believe.

Hi Big Tick,
Thanx for the answer.

I like Rhino very much...the basic sound as well as the huge number of fantastic presets.
But I still can't believe, that life performance is nearly unpossible until you become an expert in FM-synthesis.
Today I routed Coarse 1 - 6 to my controller-keyboard..., but in most cases, the fiddling had no or very little effect.
Aren't there at least some parameters (I mean beside of cutoff and resonance), which would give performance in many cases ?

That's the beauty of FM synthesis :) Some beautiful sounds can be achieved with random experiments.

Hi Big Tick,
I'm trying to get deeper into Rhino...
I want to pitch one OSC (not the whole patch), and routed in the user control editor "coarse" to the OSC 1. But when I move then the user control slider I hear the changes only, when I retrigger the note on the keyboard. How can I accomplish a smooth change like with the pitchbend wheel?

You can't. The Coarse value is only reloaded when playing new notes, for speed optimization reasons.

Many thanx for your detailed answer.

So how then I can pitch a single OSC in Rhino?

You use the OSC pitch envelope.

Is Rhino discontinued or are updates planned ?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Big Tick wrote:You use the OSC pitch envelope.
So there is no live-performance for pitching an OSC possible?
Is a live performance possible with LFO rate and LFO amount?

Maybe it's better you tell me, with which parameters is a live performance possible?

mysticvibes wrote:Is Rhino discontinued or are updates planned ?
Not discontinued, but apart from a recently reported bug with AU version, I'm not sure what kind of update it would need.

Big Tick,
could ypu please tell me, which parameters of Rhino are good for live performance?

Everything except the curves/envelopes and coarse/fine/lfo mode for oscillators. All of these only get recomputed when a new note is played.

Thank You

Return to “Big Tick”