Zen

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just been back from my yearly break off the net :)
The beta is still open for now. I would just like to get the tags system right before releasing - which means, moving the "characteristics" attributes (e.g "distorted", "bright", "thin", ...) into their own category.

I'm probably overlooking something very obvious but there are no plugs to enable in the configuration panel. It's empty. How do Zen know where to look for my VST plugs? Same when using Zen as stand alone as when used as VST.

It connects to the server at startup to get the list of supported plugins. When you enable a plugin, it starts downloading presets for it. When you first want to listen to a preset, it asks for the path to the plugin dll.

OK, I'm behind a firewall, that might be blocking the connection to the server then. But still how do Zen know where my plugins are located?

The connections to the server are plain http, so if you can surf the web, you can use Zen.

It doesn't need to know where they are located - it will ask you for the dll the first time you want to play a sound.

I get no error messages but there are no plugs to enable...and I'm writing this from the same computer on the same connection.

Can you send me your zen.log file ? it is in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Big Tick\Zen

I just realized I was behind a proxy. I could bypass that and now all works fine. Case closed from my point of view.

Sorry for waisting your time!

ok, a general question

how do i get my vst's into the system? i cant import presets here...i sent you a load but they havent turned up in the database for whatever reason...im giving it one last chance here...apart from crashes and visual bugs in Orion...

basically im trying to get all the synths/presets i have into the lists...

whats the simple way of doing that please?

thanks

Dave

Kriminal wrote:ok, a general question

how do i get my vst's into the system? i cant import presets here...i sent you a load but they havent turned up in the database for whatever reason...im giving it one last chance here...apart from crashes and visual bugs in Orion...

thanks

Dave
Dave,

Some of them did: Albino3, Discovery, Phantom.

The list you sent me is:
Bass Terminal
Felix
Krolar-SX2
Mozi
Omaha
Tau / Tau2 / TauPro
EKS-9
Hydra
Junglist
Poly-850
Scorpion
X-Poly
Bazille
Astrobelt-Mothership
PlasticZ
Pentagon
Podolski
microTera
Attack
PPG Wave-2V

How about doing it one step at a time ? Just pick one or two, I'll add them, and you can try importing presets for them.

Zen is popular :) (with reason)

The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Big Tick wrote:
Kriminal wrote:ok, a general question

thanks

Dave
Dave,

Some of them did: Albino3, Discovery, Phantom.

The list you sent me is:
Bass Terminal
Felix
Krolar-SX2
Mozi
Omaha
Tau / Tau2 / TauPro
EKS-9
Hydra
Junglist
Poly-850
Scorpion
X-Poly
Bazille
Astrobelt-Mothership
PlasticZ
Pentagon
Podolski
microTera
Attack
PPG Wave-2V

How about doing it one step at a time ? Just pick one or two, I'll add them, and you can try importing presets for them.
i thought you wanted as many as you could get...'hopefully every vst will be included' or something like that...?

anyway, am i getting this wrong or...is zen basically just listing presets on my computer, a local database...or can i upload/share MY presets with other users....confusing so far...

if its just local, i cant see the point (YMMV of course) as normally i have less than 6 vst's installed at any one time (i installed a few specifically to help with this project, but they wont remain on my HDD for long)

Kriminal wrote:i thought you wanted as many as you could get...'hopefully every vst will be included' or something like that...?
His aim is to include as many as possible, but he wants to test a little with each new inclusion to be able to keep an eye on stable performance with each new VSTi that's added. I have quite a list of plugins to request for inclusion (at least the ones I use) but I see no problem when they get included one at the time over a period of time.

A little quality control over the presets added doesn't hurt too, when they are to be uploaded to the cloud (see next point).
Kriminal wrote:anyway, am i getting this wrong or...is zen basically just listing presets on my computer, a local database...or can i upload/share MY presets with other users....confusing so far...
You can use ZEN offline for only local presets but it's main goal is indeed to share presets with other users. I'm currently working on a Logana patchbank that I'm going to release through ZEN. I think this is the future of preset distribution (there's a 'scheme' being developed in ZEN to sell commercial presets through the platform).

Btw, you can have presets that are only local (i.e. not yet uploaded) and presets that you have uploaded and therefor shared with others.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

And in order to upload and share your patches you need to request a Designer Key - otherwise patches will only go one way, from the global database to your local one.
crimsonwarlock wrote:A little quality control over the presets added doesn't hurt too
Hmm, I know what you mean, but who should do the quality control - the uploader? I mean it's an entirely subjective call. :shrug:

The introduction of some kind of ratings scheme, if and when it happens, will be one way of identifying the most popular patches (I can see this being really useful when applied to Synth1's 9000+ patches).

An 'Ignore' tab might be an idea, so that after auditioning a user could choose to hide patches that don't meet their subjective quality control criteria.

Thinking ahead it might eventually be possible for Zen to say 'User X has favourited many of the same patches that you have - would you like to see other patches they have favourited?', or (kind of like Amazon recommendations) 'Users who favourited this Bass patch also favourited these Bass patches', that kind of thing.

crimsonwarlock wrote: A little quality control over the presets added doesn't hurt too, when they are to be uploaded to the cloud (see next point).
thats just impossible, and totally unacceptable....

who is to say that UserA made good presets, and UserB made bad ones?

Return to “Big Tick”