Zen betatesting

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Big Tick wrote:rsmus7, can you try to disable some of the plugins, to see if any of them is responsible for the crashes ? Rhino definitely doesn't play so nicely with Zen, and will be updated to address these issues.
it crashes mostly with absynth and rhino and sometimes with the other plugins here in reaper 64 bit

and would it be possible to make zen 64 bit to load 64 bit plugins?

and I would like it to show the 20 presets in the right coloum without scrolling.

and would it be possible to add a midi learn to the control sliders?

it crashes mostly with absynth and rhino and sometimes with the other plugins here in reaper 64 bit
ok, I guess, with no real reproducible sequence of events leading to the crash ?
would it be possible to make zen 64 bit to load 64 bit plugins?
Yes - though I don't have win64 so it's not my top priority right now. I am considering adding jbridge inside Zen, so that it could load 32/64 bits plugins and be hosted by 32/64 bits hosts.
I would like it to show the 20 presets in the right coloum without scrolling.
It would require changing the skin. Maybe I could make the presets smaller, 1 line only, by not showing the plugin name ? Since you can filter out by plugin too...

Otherwise you can change in zen.properties:

Code: Select all

presetDatabase.itemsPerPage: 12
You'll only have 12 presets per page, but won't need to scroll.
Yes.

'Tick

Ok, the newest update says "cannot find the file specified" again, and still has no sound at all. I load it inside a host and it loads fine, no sound. I'm able to download presets, load a plug-in, but not actually hear it at all.

I'll test on a few other hosts now.

rlahalla, the standalone does the same ? no sound ?

Big Tick wrote:rlahalla, the standalone does the same ? no sound ?
Yes, no sound on both the standalone and the plug-in as well. I'm testing it out right now in Ableton to see if it works there, but so far, not outputting sound in VSTHost and standalone.

Version 071410 is here. The main new feature is the "Last Import" system tag, automatically applied to all presets in the last import session. And I've activated daHornet and will upload presets for it shortly, so that you can test what happens when a new vsti gets supported.

'Tick

Ahem - didn't expect to put up a new version so soon, but I found a nasty little bug in 071410 - if using drag/drop to import fxp, somethings the fxp would be corrupt. So before the database gets messed up too much, I'd rather upload a fix - and here you are: version 071510 is online !

If you have imported or published any presets with the fxp drag/drop feature, please let me know.

'Tick

Big Tick wrote:

ok, I guess, with no real reproducible sequence of events leading to the crash ?
yep

I would like it to show the 20 presets in the right coloum without scrolling.

It would require changing the skin. Maybe I could make the presets smaller, 1 line only, by not showing the plugin name ? Since you can filter out by plugin too...

Otherwise you can change in zen.properties:

Code: Select all

presetDatabase.itemsPerPage: 12
for me 1 line would be enough

Yes.
great

Big Tick wrote:Ahem - didn't expect to put up a new version so soon, but I found a nasty little bug in 071410 - if using drag/drop to import fxp, somethings the fxp would be corrupt. So before the database gets messed up too much, I'd rather upload a fix - and here you are: version 071510 is online !

If you have imported or published any presets with the fxp drag/drop feature, please let me know.

'Tick
I've downloaded and installed this version with not so good results. First, when opening the EXE, it states still that the file specified cannot be found, but opens to the Zen window anyways. I own Absynth, Ace, Gladiator and Sylenth and none of them are able to play any sound.

When I load the plug-in version, it loads up fine and when I load sylenth1, it will only play the first "acid 303" or whatever it is that loads on default. Even when I load other presets, it still just plays the same one.

Next, when I load Ace, it will play very few of the notes properly. Most of them will explode into a rage of noise until I close the Zen interface. Once I open the gui again, I can load another sound, but the same thing is likely to occur. After this happens though, when closing out to shut down the computer, it all locked up and shut itself down for me. but still, no sound in the EXE. I'll keep testing..

Yes.
I've got it working, but I am hitting limitations of the vst protocol with automation: you can move the slider and record it as midi automation in the host. When playing back, the host sends this automation data to Zen in the midi stream. Zen can then do 2 things with it:
1. pass it over to the plugin, like it does with the rest of the midi data. It will only make sense if the plugin also has the same midi controller assigned to the same control.
2. convert it to vst automation and send it to the plugin. In this case you lose the sample-accurate timing of midi automation.

Obviously, neither solution is acceptable for realtime automation/record. I guess it is ok as a way to tweak the preset to your liking, though.

The sad thing is, there is a kVstParameterType events type in the vst sdk - but it was introduced in v2.3, deprecated in 2.4, and never documented in between. A pity, because this is exactly what would be required: a way to add vst parameter automation inside the midi stream.

'Tick

rlahalla wrote:I've downloaded and installed this version with not so good results.
Damn. Am I the only one for which the beta is actually usable ?!?

Big Tick wrote:
rlahalla wrote:I've downloaded and installed this version with not so good results.
Damn. Am I the only one for which the beta is actually usable ?!?
Another thing to note, when I load a sylenth patch directly after I load an Ace patch, it loads Ace instead of Sylenth. When I click on another sylenth patch, Sylenth does show up.

Rhino presets in Zen does not sound the same as placing Rhino in a host.
Also a preset sounds different if I switch to another Rhino preset and then back.

Yes, I have a Rhino/RhinoCM update ready that fixes this - just waiting to see if there are any more issues coming up before releasing it.

rlahalla, just send me your zen/ folder and I will have a look at your database.

Thanks, I shall wait "patiently" :hihi:

Return to “Big Tick”