CIRCUIT BENDING ... Mini forum in a single thread !!!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just found this through Google, KVR is all about the musical stuff I love (been here for ZynAddSubFX many-a-time). Anyways, I've been bending for a while now with mixed results, and recently picked up a thrift-store gem: a Casiotone MP-45 for about $7. I've been bending it for a few weeks and have found some neat effects - amplifying/"crushing" the arpeggiator, distorted and constant baseline, open high hat ride, and some related stuff, but I was wondering about other peoples' experience bending Casiotones. I've got a few more mods, and I want to get some high-res photos of the board to note and post here if anyone is interested.

this is probably the ultimate noob question, but i have no experience in electronics and you gotta start somewhere.

ok so i got this lovely old casio pt-10, but what annoys me about it is that it doesnt have an audio-out connector. thus, i would like to make it have one. problem is i'm not sure how to do it. i would like to add a mono RCA output. is it possible to just unlink the wire that is connected to it's internal speaker and simply hook up an RCA connector to the wire? :D

if not, then what's the proper way of doing it?

EDIT:
found myself a nice read - http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/cir ... /cb16.html
just the answer i was looking for.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

I found this post… I have some things on my site at fractalstudios.net I have sold a few things on eBay, and broke a few things I tried making. I will be making Wav Sample CD's and be putting them up for sale on my site in the future.

bpblog wrote:is it possible to just unlink the wire that is connected to it's internal speaker and simply hook up an RCA connector to the wire? :D

if not, then what's the proper way of doing it?

I have gotten tip sleeve (1/4) jacks to work with the speaker method you mentioned. I also found out you can add extra set of wires to the speaker and the speaker works when something not plugged into the jack.

great thread.
kraftwerk were circuit benders...

Here are my toys:

fb383

Ibanez Delay

Casio mt100

Akai S20

And some DIY

Voice of Saturn

X0xb0x

Youtube video of "freakdestroyer" (Multieffect made of voicechanger) destroying Acidlabbassline:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f55XMB5dYg
Looking for new ACID artists
www.acidhardwave.com
Experimental, Acid, Hardcore, Breakcore
www.tunefreak.org

Here is a toy I just picked up. I bought an old Farfisa at a thrift
shop for $20 because it was so f**ked up. It sounds like somebody's done
a circuit bending job on it, so I figured I'd take it home, play around
with it for a couple days, maybe see if I can make some really SFU
noises and then probably part it out. For one thing, I think the volume pedal is the kind with an optoisolator so I think it might be kinda easy to use
it to control some doodad.

I was really excited to see what was under the hood since this thing is
probably 35 yrs. old or more. When I played it at the thrift shop the
"Leslie" switch really sounded good. And guess why! It's a real old
fashioned hardware Leslie. The great granddaddy of the effect many know
and use. It's a big, big speaker inside of a rotating barrel
made of styrofoam. Powered by a motor big enough to serve as a laundry
machine motor (35W). With a belt, good god yall. It has two speeds!
I'll post some better pics tomorrow but here is what an original Leslie looks like.

If interested in any parts out of this, pm me.

Pics also show the kinda cheapass looking reverb coils.

More pics:

I'm not even a gearslut. I'm a gearskank.

Bah.

That you said you bought it in dollars mean I probably can't convince you to get that Leslie to me in reasonably-priced order. I mean, I might be able to convince you to sell it, but I can't convince myself it's worth the transatlantic shipping.
Playing 60s and 70s FUNKY KEYS on Cantabile Lite hosting freeware vintage keyboards and organs on a plastic keyboard MIDI'd into a refurbished laptop.

Soul is freeware, so freeware your soul.

Woah! Cool! I never knew this subform existed until just now...always loved the quirky sonic wierdness of old toys bent to hell and back lol.

Any of you folks do databending? It's like circuitbending, but you're bending software instead of hardware. I like messing about with freeware programs, then importing the raw data into an audio editor and also messing about with txt files and importing that...then saving it as WAV and importing into a sampler :).
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

Hellooooo!! Seems I've caught the bug for trying Circuit Bending!
I've been reading about it for about 5 years and its time to try it! And also, may be, building some synths as well. Wish me luck :D I'll post as soon as I've tried one, most likely this week end. There is no shortage of flea markets and Good Wills in my city. AbstractCats goes Bent!

YAY!! My first bend!! A Kids Connection Color and Numbers learning board!

Spent about an 30min, need to do much more. Not a lot to work with but I did not want to spend much yet. I found about three bend points and I think two loop points which work as though they have a "Rand." setting applied, so its probably a glitch point.

I need to get an Iron and some wire to get totally wired.(caus' III'mm TOTaly Wirrrrrda'..cantcha seee??) :hihi:

Also!! I was about to send my malfunctioning M audio key station to the thrift shop....NOT NOW :D :D I have plans !

I'll most pics sat.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great thread!

Great to see this thread, I'm just getting into databending so I'll be trawling through here looking for and sharing ideas!

Here's what happened to an MP3 of The Libertines song Up The Bracket after being put into Wordpad and Audacity:

https://soundcloud.com/stuartkeenan/dat ... nes_up-the

WHAT? That's it?

More pleeez
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”