Pictures of your builds!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robojam wrote: Is that Elmo on the right...? :hihi:
lol :D That actually did make me laugh!! Never noticed that resemblance until you mentioned it. ;)

Oh well, might as well post some pics here too :D

This thing was build by me over 3 decades ago:

It's now being rebuild in software (with a few twists):

CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Very cool CW. Looking forward to the VSTi release. I've subbed to your topic about it :)

robojam wrote:
AusDisciple wrote:Image
Is that Elmo on the right...? :hihi:
Lol it is!

Awesome setup this :)

Someone told me about this DiY section. I hope guitar projects are OK here. Seems a wood working project is outta place with all these cool synth/pedal, etc. projects but here it is anyways. My current project is an alder body, flame maple cap, dual humbucker. The neck is birdseye maple with rosewood fretboard and paua shell fret dots. The flat area on lower right bout is for an electrosocket jack. It was going to be solid alder but I saw this on eBay for cheap. 3/4" flame maple, 4' long x 16" wide for $50! Kiln dried, flat and straight, a steal! I'm going to use the rest of the maple on a neck through, mahogany version of this guitar. Bridge, pups, and scraps that I'm testing finishes on.

Image Image

Carve started. Slow work with cabinet scrapers but much better control

ImageImage

Still softening the lower bout carve here

Fit the bridge and checking neck alignment before finishing the carve (not how I usually do it)

Gratuitous guitar + cat + feet pic

ImageImage

I'm thinking of dying it blue or blue burst.
This project has been on a holding pattern for a bit as raising a kid with Autism takes up a little extra time but it's much more rewarding.
Last edited by PsYcHo SaMuRai on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

it was me that told you about this forum, look at the top and see the two mods...I'm a guitar player and a builder, so I dont think you have to worry about whether guitar projects are welcome :hihi:

That's an awesome build you're working on, please keep us updated and welcome to KvR's DIY forum :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

PsYcHo SaMuRai wrote:Someone told me about this DiY section. I hope guitar projects are OK here. Seems a wood working project is outta place with all these cool synth/pedal, etc. projects but here it is anyways.
pffft, who would complain? That is tremendous. I wish I had the wood working tools/skills to do that stuff. Well maybe not, I'd probably have 50 guitars by now.

That is great looking ... keep us posted!
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
PsYcHo SaMuRai wrote:Someone told me about this DiY section. I hope guitar projects are OK here. Seems a wood working project is outta place with all these cool synth/pedal, etc. projects but here it is anyways.
pffft, who would complain? That is tremendous. I wish I had the wood working tools/skills to do that stuff. Well maybe not, I'd probably have 50 guitars by now.

That is great looking ... keep us posted!
Great build so far. I vote for the blue burst, btw. Please post when complete.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

PsYcHo SaMuRai,
I have to agree with the others here. That's some really nice craftsmanship right there. Great work.
How long have you been crafting guitars for?
Nice to see your cat making an appearance too. :)
One of my best friends has an autistic son so I can relate there too.

oops! sorry for late reply.

I've been building off and on for about 10 years...more off than on since my wife and I have been students forever. Now she has graduated and has a job so we can catch up on bills and complete some house upgrades so guitar building is on hold for now. I am a very casual, amateur builder and stop builds before they're finished too often. It creates more problems than if I just stuck to a schedule.
For now, I am rebuilding my motorcycle so my woodworking (wood chests, boxes, guitars) is wrapped up and set aside while I get oil everywhere. I will return to this build before the weather turns here in the Pacific Northwest because the humidity and lacquer don't play nice. Plus, I'd rather paint in my portable booth outside rather than stink up the garage and feel the wrath of Wife.

Eteched Eurorack case.

2mm copper, etched with an electrochemical method, inspired by Cedric Green's work. He's got a good website with info on the process.

Nice. Its gotten depressing how expensive copper is these days, though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yeah the prices are rising I guess. For this I got all materials from my job so it was free... I guess around here the prices are around 6€/kg.

Working on a buchla clone triple lopass gate modded for MU/5U/Moog modular format. This is a video of the first time I fired it up .. I get bonus points for keeping all the magic smoke inside the components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzojlprI ... e=youtu.be
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”