Pictures of your builds!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just looked at it and from the POV of a novice I see this as a fairly easy straight forward build, it may look a little intimdating but if you can solder I think you'll have no problems. As usual I suggest magnifying goggles when working on these things (or the similar), but besides some small parts and a moderate amount of parts which will be time consuming I do not see anything that takes some advanced knowledge or skill.

I will be interested as to KungKrille has to say about the sound, surely this will go on my list of future pontential builds. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

jackrabbit wrote:Looks fun, not seen these before. Would like to build myself a synth and just checked out their site, this looks interesting.

How easy was it to build?

Does it sound any good?

Is it useful and productive to use as an instrument?
Hink wrote:I will be interested as to KungKrille has to say about the sound, surely this will go on my list of future pontential builds
I had soldered cables and once I built a laser harp(!) but that was over twenty years ago (with a lot of help by my teacher). The instructions are very clear for the digital board and with the knowledge you gain from that it's pretty easy to build the analog board as well. Just be careful to turn components like transistors and caps right. I also used a cheap multimeter so I could measure all resistors as I had difficulties to see the color codes. I only needed help once because the bridge between the digital and the analog board had been changed.

It does sound good but note that it's monophonic. It's easy to program and you can control it live either with the four knobs or midi. I have a few demos below. The first two are from a free multilayered sample collection I did for Alchemy that doesn't seem to be released. I don't have time or energy to create Alchemy presets with remix settings and all. I have loaded the samples into several instances of Alchemy and used the built-in effects. The drums in demo 2 are samples from Shruthi:

Demo 1
Demo 2

These are pure Shruthi-1 recordings of presets I have done myself and there are no effects applied. Some of the presets are included on newer kits I think:

Shruthi-1 patches

I have used Shruthi-1 on the latest of my productions that I already posted here at KVR (listen to the bass):

Trondheim

Thanks for replying and the info KungKrille :)

Like the demo sounds. I checked out some vids on utube, Was worried about the lack of controls but seen a nice gui to edit it from computer. I am aware its only monophonoc but at least its not just one osc :)

part of the attraction for me is the size as I am sure it could be moded to run on batteries for some outdoor play.

Moving house in 2 months so once i am settled in I want to build an amp for a mini picnic PA for my DS10 then once i remembered how to solder again will like to have a go at Shruthi. :)

Hanglow wrote:Great idea for a new forum! I mainly lurk on KVR, might be a bit more active now :D

So, post some pictures of your recent builds, be they amps, synths, rack effects or whatever you have built - I mainly do stompboxes and have done a couple of amps as well as the standard guitar mods

BigBaby - this is a coloursound inductorless wah in a crybaby chassis - bit rough but works fine

Axishead, crappy name but nice fuzz, based on the DAM Meathead which is a modified FF

VTK -vintage two knob fuzz - another silicon fuzz face

OK Fuzz - one knob si FF variant.

Sinnerboy - ROG's Mayqueen modified for a more Rory Gallagher style tone than Brian May - think treble booster going into an AC30

yes I like fuzz. I'd also recommend them for beginners as they are very simple and very tweakable - a great way to get into DIY pedal building
These look great! Can you explain how you made the artwork for these, from beginning to end? I just got my first byoc kits and would like to apply some artwork on the enclosures before putting them together.
Forwards in all directions!

www.myspace.com/pavlovshunder

As Iv mentioned a few times before Iv built a few things such as the mfos soundlab, curious inventor sound of venus, a synare percussion emulation, the jaycar duluxe theremin and the Paia 9700 which is currently in work-in-progress till Im in the mood to finnish it. Plenty of kits about and synth modules if you want to go that far. Then there are the various guitar pedals yes esspecially the fuzz or distortion. There is a vca/vcf one about. Even DIY microphones. Get to work I would say.

Rangtangtang wrote:As Iv mentioned a few times before Iv built a few things such as the mfos soundlab, curious inventor sound of venus, a synare percussion emulation, the jaycar duluxe theremin and the Paia 9700 which is currently in work-in-progress till Im in the mood to finnish it. Plenty of kits about and synth modules if you want to go that far. Then there are the various guitar pedals yes esspecially the fuzz or distortion. There is a vca/vcf one about. Even DIY microphones. Get to work I would say.
This thread is for pictures of builds, we do know there's plenty of stuff out there to build, and a lot of it is listed in one of the other threads.

So, basically, pics or stfu. :P
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

WSG stuffed into my box from the Abelton Live package, found a use for the box finally. Not very creative :roll: but it works :D . Next up a theremin type of thing stuffed into a very old FM radio I purchased from the rescue mission.

the mess inside...
GUI designers a resource list of artists: http://sukaudio.blogspot.com/

My E-Drums...

(please click to enlarge)

All the best to the DIY community!
PFozz

Wow a lot of cool things here! :love:

I really like your dulcimer Hink, I would like to build something similar since I have a lot of broken guitar strings to recycle :hihi:

Already posted somewhere else, nothing special really, just my contribution to this thread. DJX tabletop version (you only need a saw and some pieces of wood :hihi:):

removed post.
Last edited by Hlis93 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

radioegg wrote:
These look great! Can you explain how you made the artwork for these, from beginning to end? I just got my first byoc kits and would like to apply some artwork on the enclosures before putting them together.
sorry for the late reply !

What I tend to do is scan the enclosure after I've drilled it - then I can build the finish over the scan -I use GIMP although it's not the most intuitive program. Once I'm happy with it I'll print a draught out on a piece of paper and see how it looks over the top of the box - then I'll tweak it to take into account the size of knobs etc, then I'll print it out on a waterslide decal. I usually print these out a wee bit smaller as the decals tend to expand and get stretched when you put them on/soak them in water. Then I'll coat them with a few light coats of poly to seal the ink, then apply them to the boxes which have been sanded and cleaned. then once dry, they'll get a few more coats of poly on top.

My second attempt at a Didley Bo. I dont have a router to fit in a pickukp so I went with piezo transducer in the can to the side of the stick. The can helps hold it on my lap.

Hlis93 wrote:My second attempt at a Didley Bo. I dont have a router to fit in a pickukp so I went with piezo transducer in the can to the side of the stick. The can helps hold it on my lap.

I love it :D
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

MaxSynths wrote: Already posted somewhere else, nothing special really, just my contribution to this thread. DJX tabletop version (you only need a saw and some pieces of wood :hihi:):

:-o love it! :lol:

Thank you Sonicfire :D Maybe you'll like this one too...

Reskinned GEM S3. I bought a second hand GEM S3; a really nice keyboard with interesting sounds and midi controls. BTW it's almost 20 years old and the original painting started to peel-off, so I decided to give her a new skin! :D

The job is almost done; the only thing missing are the labels for the buttons (Just waiting for the postman to deliver). Here it is (click for full size):

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”