Fender copy hex guitars

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,
I am building 2 guitars w/- hex pickups.
I have a strat copy with all parts in the mail, and a bocote top tele body just.
I build one, the strat, and see if the hex works well translating into frequency figure for playing synth.
I have the software in beta, built in SynthMaker.
Here are some shots of the Strat:
8D

Nice! That strat body is gorgeous, where did you get your guitar parts?
areemts1130 (here and @ esoundz)

"I may not be a first-rate composer, but I am a first-class second-rate composer." — Richard Strauss

nix808 wrote:Hey,
I am building 2 guitars w/- hex pickups.
I have a strat copy with all parts in the mail, and a bocote top tele body just.
I build one, the strat, and see if the hex works well translating into frequency figure for playing synth.
I have the software in beta, built in SynthMaker.
Here are some shots of the Strat:
8D
looks like it's in a sauna :hihi:

I'm looking forward to the finish you put on it :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I found the body on eBay.
Also all parts are sourced from there.
It's a little hit and miss though, I bought some string trees that didn't roll and had one screwhole undrilled. But all major things have been fine.
Oh, actually I bought a second tremelo from an NZ guitar shop. The first one didn't fit, then I drilled the pivot holes in the wrong place. I have a Wilkinson one coming, it should go straight on. It will be more immaculate as befits this body and neck.
Here is the guy who built the body(it's one piece)-
http://atcguitarworks.com/products/
It is very close to perfect, only some tiny chips on the high strings cut-away. I am very happy with his work.
It is actually finished in nitro, I asked Attila to do it for me, and once again pleased with it.
Well picked Hink, my little studio has an adjoining sauna! I have Finnish heritage hey.
Here is the guitar parts in nz addy-
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/index.cfm
They sent it the next day.
Can't wait to try the hex :D
More pics when I get it together, I'll up a shot of the unfinished tele body. The bocote is gorgeous.

Cool, nice birds eye on the headstock.

I think my Strat Project has the same black tuners, are yours schallers although I got mine through Stewmac.

I also sourced my wilkinson bridge from the same NZ site as you, but then I live in NZ. They are a nice bridge and intonate well.

Waht color are you going to paint it.

8)

If you want a fender waterslide headstock decal

heres a link

http://www.guitarcentro.com/product.php?id_product=13

But don't tell Hink I told you about the label. :wink: :hihi:

The tuners are unbranded.
I think there's nothing wrong with them though.
So looking forward to getting it together.
Another 1 1/2 weeks.
Good stuff that the Wilkinson is quality.
The loaded pickguard got here yesterday, I think I'll fit it to see how it looks.
I like the birdseye too. It has it all through.
I'm going to leave it natural, it's finished in nitro.
As far as labels-I am tring to source some Access stickers, as befits a synth guitar. I'll put the logo(white) on the black pickguard.
Also I'm going to get some of my brand -Phonics- printed in black. I guess the name in my font on the headstock and the logo above the bridge.
If this goes well I may build SA(SynthAccess) guitars that work with my software.
Cheers!

The action is poor.
You could build the exact same one if ya wanna(maybe try Warmoth for neck).
I think I'll belt sand the neck heel to try and sort the action.
I think it cost like $700 Aus., but 200 of that is the hex pickup.
I'll take a shot now it is together, and also up some audio of the synth conversion. It's quite good, the synth response, i am enthused and encouraged that it might be a good product. The feel is very similar to normal guitar, w/- hammers and string bends, tremelo too.
I am happy with it, only one mistake, I broke the hex pickup with adjusting screws(i needed to do a little mod to get it very close to strings), and when I super-glued it back together I got glue on one end of the cover.
Back soon if not tonight.

nix808 wrote:The action is poor.
You could build the exact same one if ya wanna(maybe try Warmoth for neck).
I think I'll belt sand the neck heel to try and sort the action.
I think it cost like $700 Aus., but 200 of that is the hex pickup.
I'll take a shot now it is together, and also up some audio of the synth conversion. It's quite good, the synth response, i am enthused and encouraged that it might be a good product. The feel is very similar to normal guitar, w/- hammers and string bends, tremelo too.
I am happy with it, only one mistake, I broke the hex pickup with adjusting screws(i needed to do a little mod to get it very close to strings), and when I super-glued it back together I got glue on one end of the cover.
Back soon if not tonight.
before you start sanding what is that you suspect is the culprit for the poor action? Because you mention the neck are you sure you can't adjust the truss rod. I only ask because I dont want you to ended 'cutting a little of each table leg to level it' if you know what I mean, so what exactly is going on?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hey Hink,
I have the truss rod on maximum relief,
Otherwise the frets start buzzing from around the tenth fret.
If I shave a little bit off the heel, thinning the bridge end, it may improve it. I think maybe like half a mm only to start with. Or a third mm.
What do you think?

Someone has deleted their post, i hope I didn't offend.

nix808 wrote:Hey Hink,
I have the truss rod on maximum relief,
Otherwise the frets start buzzing from around the tenth fret.
If I shave a little bit off the heel, thinning the bridge end, it may improve it. I think maybe like half a mm only to start with. Or a third mm.
What do you think?

Someone has deleted their post, i hope I didn't offend.
have you fretted a string at the first fret and last fret to see what the bow looks like? Otherwise I would sugeest trying to shim the neck first before removing material you can't put back ;)

The bow gives around 1.25mm off the 12th fret currently. It has all the relief it takes.
I will shim it, Susiwong suggested that too.

Simple geometry.

Neck relief

Neck angle
Cheers,
susiwong

I intend to do the opposite direction of the neck angle picture.
But only very fractionally to start with.

I know this may sound stupid but if you are using a power screwdriver use a hand scredriver instead. You may find yourself removing and replacing the screws a few times and you do not want to strip the holes which is very easy with power drivers ;)

nix808 wrote:I intend to do the opposite direction of the neck angle picture.
But only very fractionally to start with.
Yes, but you notice the difference ?

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repa ... -angle.php
Google brings up a ton of tutorials.

A very good overview on setups:
http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

Cheers,
susiwong

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”