Knobs, gimme some.

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:BTW are the shafts i'm looking for called D Shafts or not ? If not what are they called ? It would certainly ease finding knobs for it.
That's the most common name for them. The Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean suppliers call them all sorts of strange things if you don't get a rep who speaks english well.
Hmm when i search on Ebay for "Knob D shaft" i get like 11 hits.However if i search for "Knob set screw" i get like 500 or so. Which is what i want,right ?

I'm pretty set on those chinese ones anyways so it doesn't matter much for now but it would be good to know for the future. I got some marvelous plans for the chinese ones.

If you are looking for knobs for encoders, you might want to look for knobs that don't have a position marker. It drives me crazy when encoders use a knob that has a line or something as a position marker.

justin3am wrote:If you are looking for knobs for encoders, you might want to look for knobs that don't have a position marker. It drives me crazy when encoders use a knob that has a line or something as a position marker.
Yeah i know,i got it covered thanks. Now off to the guy who thought it was a good idea to have different kind of shafts and see how he likes a swift kick to the nads.

The kind of knobs designed for D shafts generally don't have set screws, as far as I know. The set screw knobs will work on a D shafts but they may looks a little lop-sided if the screw isn't centered on the flat surface.

Typically D shaft knobs look like this inside...

justin3am wrote:The kind of knobs designed for D shafts generally don't have set screws, as far as I know. The set screw knobs will work on a D shafts but they may looks a little lop-sided if the screw isn't centered on the flat surface.
That is good to know.

Sneaky bastards use some trick so i can't direct link to the pictures.

If you look at these two products:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/53 ... alers.html
and
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/53 ... alers.html

they both look like they should fit a D Shaft rotary encoder however one has a notch in them. Not that i think that matters,i'm just curious if that's the difference between a "Half axis" and "Plum axis".

I did leave another message but they haven't replied yet. Funny they was more on the case on a Sunday than Monday but what do i know of Chinese work ethics ?

On my monitor, they both look like they have a notch.

I'll ask our lead engineer if she knows the difference.

Got an answer in case anyone's curious.
Gloria Zhu wrote:Dear client,
Both of them are "half axis"(D-shaft)
Thanks
That is good to know. Mystery solved.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”