Pics of my new bass

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You could try to drench it with super glue?
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
VST.NET | MIDI.NET

obiwanjacobi wrote:You could try to drench it with super glue?
Yeah, I thought about that, but the crack is is a hairline, and it would be difficult to get the glue all the way down. I'm pretty sure the screws will work.

In the meantime, I have routed the control cavity, sanded it all down to 400, and gave this beauty it's first coat of oil. I'll post a pic later. I need to get off to work.

I'll be using Minwax Antiquing oil. It's an oil/varnish. I've figure out how to get this stuff to have a mirror finish, but it takes alot of coats, so the next 2 to 3 weeks will be pretty boring for posting.

Here's what I'll be doing
1st week - Putting down multiple coats of clear to seal the wood. I haven't had alot of success with fillers due to coloring issues. Once I get 5 to 6 coats down, I'll sand down to 400 to level everything off

2nd week - Put down a couple of coats of clear, and buffing between each coat. Once I get a good clear base down, I'll put some tint in the oil for color. I'll proceed with about 5 to 6 more coats until it shines like the sun above.

As busy as I'm about to get with my job, I might not get a chance to do a coat every day, so I'm suspecting this will take up to 3 weeks.

I'll also be doing the same to the neck, so that I can tint it to a color that compliments the bass body

Cheers

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

First oiling

Bunch O Stuff

that's gorgeous! I was trying to find the hairline crack but couldn't.

It's been almost 6 months since I disturbed the neighbours with power tools - I'm currently itching to build a bass, though it'll have none of the style and craftsmanship of yours.

knockman wrote:that's gorgeous! I was trying to find the hairline crack but couldn't.

It's been almost 6 months since I disturbed the neighbours with power tools - I'm currently itching to build a bass, though it'll have none of the style and craftsmanship of yours.
The crack is much more visible from the backside. It's difficult to find on the topside because it runs with the grain. I went to take a pic, but the batteries died, so I'll get to that later today

[gloat mode on] Man this is turning out way better than I thought. With every coat of oil, the wood grain takes on a more 3D character[gloat mode off]

Hope to get to the fine sanding this over the weekend.

Cheers
Bunch O Stuff

Here's a pic of the crack
Sorry that it's not in focus a little better, but it shows the point

The crack runs in the direction my finger is pointed. You can see how it's a little darker. If you follow that thru to the end of the guitar, and look on the side, you can see that it goes thru the entire guitar.

Bunch O Stuff

Scoops wrote:Here's a pic of the crack
Sorry that it's not in focus a little better, but it shows the point

The crack runs in the direction my finger is pointed. You can see how it's a little darker. If you follow that thru to the end of the guitar, and look on the side, you can see that it goes thru the entire guitar.

it gives it character...awesome job btw, thanks again for sharing it all with us :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Update

Put 7 coats of oil on, and then sanded down. All the pores in the wood have filled in nicely. Unfortunately, there are still some spots that could use more, but I've elected to move on. As Hink suggests, it's part of the character.

This is what it looks like after sanding.

Next coat of oil goes on as soon as I post this update.

Bunch O Stuff

Update

Put 7 coats of oil on, and then sanded down. All the pores in the wood have filled in nicely. Unfortunately, there are still some spots that could use more, but I've elected to move on. As Hink suggests, it's part of the character.

This is what it looks like after sanding.

Next coat of oil goes on as soon as I post this update.

Bunch O Stuff

It actually looks delicious!
:)

knockman wrote:It actually looks delicious!
:)
Actually, I think it's deciduous :)
Bunch O Stuff

:love:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Sneak peak

Just put the parts in place to see how it's gonna turn out
No sure on how I'm going to arrange the tone controls. What I show is the leading candidate

Bunch O Stuff

You need a Badass Bass bridge fella,
such a cool branding.
It will be sweet, can haz audio of it when finished?

nix808 wrote:You need a Badass Bass bridge fella,
such a cool branding.
It will be sweet, can haz audio of it when finished?
When I went to order parts, the dealer was out of Bad Asses.
So I went to a second place and they said the same thing, so I ended up with the Hipshot Bridge.

I'm not happy with this bridge. Thanks for reminding me. I need to find a Bad Ass.

Audio will be provided.

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”