Pics of my new bass

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some fabrication and assembly required

Bunch O Stuff

Are you going to keep it fretless?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

That is going to be gorgeous! I love the dark wood fret board on lighter colored neck. Will you continue to post pics of your progress?

justin3am wrote:That is going to be gorgeous! I love the dark wood fret board on lighter colored neck. Will you continue to post pics of your progress?
Probably,

I could show the step by step.

Now that I have all the parts, I need to make fabrication templates. Neck pocket, pickups, control cavity and bridge location.

I do have 2 control covers cut already. One is ebony, and the other is a very severe birds eye maple. Don't know which I'll use yet

Hink wrote:Are you going to keep it fretless?
Yes, I will keep it fretless. I've played fretless before, and I really enjoy it

That is a Warmoth 32" neck. It's quarter sawn with a slight flame
Bunch O Stuff

can't go wrong with Warmoth :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Nice! Please post progress pics.
Thanx.
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
VST.NET | MIDI.NET

OK

Progress report
I only get 1 chance to cut on this wood, and it's gotta be right the first time
To be successful at this, I'll be making some templates. To make the templates, I'll first go to my computer and draw them up on a cad program. I've used AutoCad in the past, but I'm using Solidworks time around. These templates will act as a guide when I go to route.

What you see in the pic is a print out of the pickups, and an old neck template I got from Ste Mac. Unfortunately, the neck template is the wrong size, so I'll have to draw that up too.

So the plan is to glue these paper templates down to a piece of MDF, and by hand, route these as carefully as possible. If I make a mistake here, it's OK. MDF is pretty cheap. Eventually I'll have one template that I'll used to cut the pup's and the neck cavity, and another template to cut the body.

Stay tuned

Bunch O Stuff

Scoops wrote:So the plan is to glue these paper templates down to a piece of MDF, and by hand, route these as carefully as possible.
I make my templates using a hand file for the last bit. Much better control.

[2c]
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
VST.NET | MIDI.NET

Good work Scoops, Hope the routing goes to plan. A person that I used to know as he has at the my younger sister's other half decided to take what was an absolutely fine bass as it was and defret it, It did not work out well and the idiot had ended up with a warick (streamer corvette - it was a good 10 years ago so the exact model I forget) butchered and useless pretty much.

Should of gone to Warmoth for sure! :hihi:

Cheers

Dean

obiwanjacobi wrote:
Scoops wrote:So the plan is to glue these paper templates down to a piece of MDF, and by hand, route these as carefully as possible.

[2c]
Agreed

Although, in this case, I'll probably be drilling the inside corners, and using a fence with the router to get straight lines.

As a side note, The weather here has been unseasonably warm, and spring has arrived. I thought I'd have another month of freezing temps.
Bunch O Stuff

It looks good so far. Keep us posted

Cheers

obiwanjacobi wrote:

[2c]
Buggers!

I got the neck and J bass template made ( :oops: yes I used a file)
That damn P bass pickup is a real bitch

Gonna try using a Pbass pickgaurd
Bunch O Stuff

don't you have a dremel?

Hink wrote:don't you have a dremel?
Yeah I do, but I'm being real anal bout it. It's gotta be perfect. And so far The pbass is far from it.

I'll try more tomorrow
Bunch O Stuff

Hink wrote:don't you have a dremel?
In addition to a dremmel, I'll be using the tools in the pic below, what you see is about it.

I got the neck, and the Pbass Template done. (I used a pick guard off a Pbass). I'll put that on a master template as a test later. If I had CNC equipment, the pocket would be tighter. The smallest fillet I can get is .375" due to my router bit/acessory inventory. I'd love to make this tighter. I'm going to redo the Jbass template. See if I can't scroung up a J bass pickgaurd

Is there a .25" router roller bit?

Also, after a mild winter, the temps are in the unseasonably warm, forcing me outside, to commune with nature, and drink beer!

Bunch O Stuff

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”