Music Workstation DIY

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't forget Craigslist. I got a huge 'producers' desk on CL for just under $100, which went for over $500 at Sweetwater.

DIY is cool, but so is 'save a pile of money and time'.

-Scott

4lb Kitty wrote:
Hink wrote:draw it in google sketch up...3d and free :)
I'll never use Sketch Up. ;)

This will make more sense...view it in it's own window:

What app DID you use???

I can always do a scan off of a drafting grid, but... :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

CorelDRAW X6
Blue Phase Music

Maybe this will clear things up:

Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music

4lb Kitty wrote:Maybe this will clear things up:
aren't you worried that the shelves may be too wide and narrow? I don't know what you are storing up there, but a 56"x8" wood is going to bend in the middle pretty soon. unless it is *very* strong wood.

cheers,
Aldo

I may end up adding supports in the middle of each shelf, but I am planning on using 3/4 inch solid oak for the shelves.
Blue Phase Music

Actually, I may scrap this one altogether in favor of an all-wood workstation.

I guess I need to inform my brother...
Blue Phase Music

It has three racks, but only the main left rack will be used for studio equipment for now. The 16-space tall one will mostly be for utilitarian purposes (drawers, shelves, etc).

There will be doors on the two cabinets that you can see. My computer tower goes under the desk on the floor to the right of the keyboard shelf.

My biggest problem is that I'm not sure how the acoustics will be with the tall rack being there...

It's all 3/4 inch MDO, probably painted. I don't know the color yet.
Blue Phase Music

4lb Kitty wrote:
My biggest problem is that I'm not sure how the acoustics will be with the tall rack being there...
I'm glad you saw that - the acoustics will be pretty crummy because of the reflections you will get off of that tower, as well as the wall behind the tall tower. Unless you absolutely have to put that tall tower in there, I would get rid of it now before you build. The tower is close enough to the monitor on the right side, that there will be fairly strong direct reflections back to the monitor and the wall behind the monitor. You'll get both constructive and destructive interference related to the 2x the distance between the wall behind the monitor and the tower. Standing waves that is - a mini 'room mode' right there.

If you drop the tower out of the design, you'll also want to treat the wall on the right with some fairly deep wedge foam. If you are in the US, you can get acoustic foam wedges WAY cheaper than Auralex or Primacoustic at Foam by Mail http://www.foambymail.com/acoustical-foam-products.html

Mixing in corners is not ideal - if it's the only location you have, use absorption treatment, but if you can avoid that big old reflecting surface on the right side, do it.

-Scott

Yeah, I was afraid of the acoustics with that tower. I can't do anything about being in a corner, though. I have the door, my plotter, then my desk, with about two inches to spare.

What about lowering the tower from a 16-space to a 4-space? It would be the same height as the other racks. It's either that, or my 13"x19" printer will go there, which is the same height.

I'd really like some additional shelves, but I guess I'll have to do without.
Blue Phase Music

There's a really cool pearlescent paint by Rustoleum that I'm thinking of using. I haven't decided on which color, but I was thinking either their silver-blue or deep red. Mark says the lime green, but there's no way. :hihi:

Blue Phase Music

I think I'm leaning toward pearlescent red:

Blue Phase Music

I'm going to modify this even more, but I came up with a solution:

Blue Phase Music

I believe this is the final version:

Blue Phase Music

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”