Music Workstation DIY

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow! Quite dramatic changes from when I last checked. ;)

Now it's really looking like a control center! Nice use of the corner.

are you one of those swing voters?
:hihi:

knockman wrote:are you one of those swing voters?
:hihi:
No way! :D
Blue Phase Music

ras.s wrote:Wow! Quite dramatic changes from when I last checked. ;)

Now it's really looking like a control center! Nice use of the corner.
Thanks! :hihi:

I think this will work. :tu:
Blue Phase Music

Corner may or may not be better. Lowering the tower was a good move in the previous design.

4lb Kitty wrote:I believe this is the final version:

What's kinda cool is the little cubby on the right is a perfect fit for my headphones. The shelves under the main surface in the corner are just for storage of things I don't need to access all that much. Same with behind my computer. Tiny shelves for little things that I don't need to get to that often.

My all-in-one printer goes in the cabinet on the left. There are three four-space racks, and the tall, 16-space rack. Most of which will be shelves or drawers, but my TASCAM US-1800 and a power conditioner will go in the rack on the right, right next to my headphone cubby. Obviously my audio monitors will go on top of the four-space racks on the middle-left and right sides. I'm going to have to find a new home for my now-unused Epson R1900 printer which is just taking up space on my current desk.

The main surface is large enough for a 12"x48" MIDI keyboard. If only I had a couple more inches on the right side, I could add just a little more surface space to the diagonal.
Blue Phase Music

rockstar_not wrote:Corner may or may not be better. Lowering the tower was a good move in the previous design.
This is as good as I can do with the space that I have now. :(
Blue Phase Music

Just added rails and fixed the height of the racks.

Blue Phase Music

I bought a pocket hole jig yesterday, and I looked at the price of MDF and paint.

I should be able to get this done fairly soon, because I'll definitely need it for my new monitor speakers!
Blue Phase Music

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $30/sheet on MDF or $54/sheet on Oak. Image
Blue Phase Music

4lb Kitty wrote:Now I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $30/sheet on MDF or $54/sheet on Oak. Image
That's interesting, remember reading once how prevalent MDF is in the UK but seen as almost toxic in lots of other countries (something to do with the glue/dust), swore it said it was banned in the US... Obviously not though. :)

Yup, still available here, though I'm surprised it is. Image

As for this desk, it's taking more wood than I thought (laying it out now in 4x8 groups), so I guess I'll go with MDF, just because of price.
Blue Phase Music

How about doing the main desk board from oak and the rest from MDF? MDF can easily suck any liquid (including humidity) and sort of ripple from it - you'll atleast have to coat it thick so it won't do that. It's quite sturdy material but can chip easily from the edges.. How about pine or some other wood you got over there, might be even cheaper than MDF?

I'd rather not use plywood, because the edges will be visible.

As for finish, if I go with MDF, it will be two coats of high-build primer, a couple of coats of pearlescent red paint, and several coats of polyurethane.

If I go oak, it will be a red stain with several coats of polyurethane.
Blue Phase Music

ras.s wrote:How about doing the main desk board from oak and the rest from MDF?
I like that idea, then the main surface can get nicked and scarred over the years and develop real character (I love old workbenches with all there grooves and slashes and history and stuff. :))

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”