Gibson SG + Fender Tele double neck guitar!

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I call it, "Living together in peace and harmony, despite our differences."

Avoiding real work, I decided to work out in Photoshop if the silly idea I had this morning was possible. It seems it is! I adjusted the images to the correct scale-lengths, so this should actually be possible.

If anyone has the shop space and money needed to do this, go right ahead! I'm throwing it out there... :love:

AdmiralQuality wrote:Image

Avoiding real work, I decided to work out in Photoshop if the silly idea I had this morning was possible. It seems it is! I adjusted the images to the correct scale-lengths, so this should actually be possible.

If anyone has the shop space and money needed to do this, go right ahead! I'm throwing it out there... :love:
warmoth would likely have the body and I'm know they have the necks...if you want one built get the parts for me and I'd build it cheap or for barter :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:Image

warmoth would likely have the body and I'm know they have the necks...if you want one built get the parts for me and I'd build it cheap or for barter :)
Oh really? I googled for it before I did the Photoshop work and didn't find such a thing. Post a link if you know of one. As far as I know, I just invented this now! (It does seem rather obvious though.)

I think the way to build this would be to get computer models for both bodies, merge them in software, then CNC machine the body from one piece of wood. To try to stick two original bodies together would never look quite right. (Also the Gibson would need re-routing on the back to make a new cavity for the moved control knobs as well as the extra switch on the top horn.)

Setting the SG neck would be challenging too. Fender necks bolt on, but I'm not sure how difficult replacing a Gibson set neck is.

But from this rough photo-composite, it does seem the dimensions of the two instruments are just right to make this work.

What's most funny to me is the only point of this double-neck guitar is to switch between humbuckers and single-coils, as well as the shorter scale-length of the Gibson and fretboard woods. Highly redundant, but I still want one! :hihi:

Just checked out Warmoth's site and don't see it.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/DoubleNeck.aspx

I really hope I invented this idea, though I wouldn't be surprised if somebody beat me to it.

Also, do they do set necks now? I thought they only did bolt on. I hope they don't because I'd have a couple projects in mind. Hink would still respect me even though he knows I dig certain Gibson-style guitars ;-) ... though my Warmoth beast is a Strat-style built in 1998 and still going VERY strong as one of my go-to guitars.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Also, do they do set necks now? I thought they only did bolt on. I hope they don't because I'd have a couple projects in mind. Hink would still respect me even though he knows I dig certain Gibson-style guitars ;-) ... though my Warmoth beast is a Strat-style built in 1998 and still going VERY strong as one of my go-to guitars.
I thought all Gibson SGs and Les Pauls have set necks. I may be wrong, I'm more of a Fender-guy, let me check...

Appears so.

If Fender and Gibson were smart they'd partner up and build a limited number of these. Who wouldn't want one? :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Also, do they do set necks now? I thought they only did bolt on. I hope they don't because I'd have a couple projects in mind. Hink would still respect me even though he knows I dig certain Gibson-style guitars ;-) ... though my Warmoth beast is a Strat-style built in 1998 and still going VERY strong as one of my go-to guitars.
well yeah, I think it would have to be a bolt on neck and tbh I thought they still did SG bodies but I just saw this
n response to Gibson's legal demands over potential trademark issues, Warmoth is no longer building new product for this precise body shape. However, there may be existing product available from our In Stock Showcase that will satisfy your needs - until they are all gone. New body styles will be available in the coming months. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.
good ol' Gibson...so the other choice would be a body blank, a decent milling machine and more (CNC is not important to me, I learned CNC but I can also set up any milling machine and use standard machine shop measuring tools).

However single coils and humbucker double neck could be done with their other double necks and as far as having different scales Warmoth will do whatever you want to their bodies.

But AQ, yes I believe you invented this :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My first instinct was to do a Les Paul/Strat. But with the angle a LP's neck is set at, and the fact that the Strat is flat topped where the LP is arch-topped, it just wouldn't work. THIS however seemed to make more sense, and my jaw fell off when I adjusted the scales of the images to match and saw that they're both the same overall height, and that the body sizes match perfectly. Who knew? :)

AdmiralQuality wrote:
I thought all Gibson SGs and Les Pauls have set necks. I may be wrong, I'm more of a Fender-guy, let me check...

Appears so.

If Fender and Gibson were smart they'd partner up and build a limited number of these. Who wouldn't want one? :)
Sorry I was talking about Warmoth. I went through some LP necks there in their inventory and they were all bolt-on. This does look like a really cool thing and hope you find a way to do it.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:

Appears so.

Sorry I was talking about Warmoth. I went through some LP necks there in their inventory and they were all bolt-on. This does look like a really cool thing and hope you find a way to do it.
Ah. (How can you make bolt-on LP necks if LP bodies want set necks? Or are they copies of both?)

I doubt I'll ever get to do it. Two $1600 guitars. A wood shop I don't have. To do it right I'd need to mill that body from scratch. And I'd probably need an experienced luthier to deal with replacing the Gibson set neck. There's a reason I make software for a living. ;)

I would put the necks the other way round so that there were not problems with knocking one set of tuners while tuning the other.

robojam wrote:I would put the necks the other way round so that there were not problems with knocking one set of tuners while tuning the other.
But then there's nowhere for the Telecaster switch plate to go. Also, most double-necks have opposing tuners, just part of the stupid! ;)

I also thought it would be more advantageous to have cutaways on both top and bottom.

Maybe we could marry a Firebird and a Tele or Strat. Then they'd have opposite looking headstocks. (And just to be obtuse, also the Fender on the bottom. ;) )

AdmiralQuality wrote:
robojam wrote:I would put the necks the other way round so that there were not problems with knocking one set of tuners while tuning the other.
But then there's nowhere for the Telecaster switch plate to go. Also, most double-necks have opposing tuners, just part of the stupid! ;)
Leave it where it is and put the SG controls below it. I'd far rather have them all on the bottom rather than some of them between the bridges.

robojam wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:
Leave it where it is and put the SG controls below it. I'd far rather have them all on the bottom rather than some of them between the bridges.
I think that would spoil the look. I didn't even like having to shift the SG's knobs over. Also there wouldn't be enough space to put both without making the bottom extra fat and throwing off the nice proportions. This works, and requires the minimum amount of modification to the original instruments. (Again, just about every double-neck in the world has opposing tuners. So as issues go, I don't see that as a very serious one.)

Of course, feel free to do your own mockup!

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”