Crazy Idea: DIY 'Budget' Neko

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi fellows,
I have this crazy idea to create a home-made Neko
Since these days much is possible with computerstuff, why not create a home made Neko synth?

Ingrediënts :-D

Simple controller (starts from 100€ already)

Build in a computer: 250€ ? (or make room for inserting a laptop from the sides

A small touchscreen (starting 400€)

A decent USB audio card 50€
Midi interface?

USB Nano controllers:

Add 19' rack 1 or 2U on the sides of the machine to insert some hardware module?

Everything replacable from the bottom and with a light case around it (will need to check for materials here that are light and still easy to work with)

What do you think?
Would it be doable? What would your preferable hardware be?
Last edited by godly on Fri May 24, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I created a simple mockup in Photoshop

How do you get this cute "TIMBALAND edition" inscription? This part of your task is definitely not doable at home.

Hehe, I have a vinyl cutter :-P
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

nice idea...
it already exists.. :)
Last edited by zoranko on Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perfectly do able, long as you don't want to sell them.

zoranko wrote:nice idea...
Hehe, great ! as any idea, it is already out there.
Nothing is ever new and as we think of it, others get the info also, I suppose it happens by Uwifi (universal wifi)

Indeed it's impossible to sell it because others own the rights on the hardware.

BTW, is that yours Zoranko?
How much does it weight? LOL

Ah, I see I forgot the keyboard :D
right side of the synth ! LOL

godly wrote:
Nothing is ever new and as we think of it, others get the info also, I suppose it happens by Uwifi (universal wifi)

Indeed it's impossible to sell it because others own the rights on the hardware.
Not so much that but in order to sell them, you would need to obtain FCC/CE approval for interference with other devices. This can cost many tens of thousands of dollars. That's why these systems cost what they do.

yes, it's mine...
keyboard: novation x-station 61, built in 2xIN, 2xOUT audio
computer: intel quad core on mini ITX mainboard, 4GB RAM, 2X SSD HDD, DVD drive
korg nano pad, korg nano kontrol,
built in 3x3 USB MIDI interface, wooden side-panels, alu box for PC parts
total weight 16,5 kg (w/o monitor)

I was also thinking about built-in touchscreen, but it is OK how it is, in studio with 24'' monitor, on stage with 15''...

UltraJv wrote:
godly wrote:

Not so much that but in order to sell them, you would need to obtain FCC/CE approval for interference with other devices. This can cost many tens of thousands of dollars. That's why these systems cost what they do.
Seems that we need to start providing tutorials for these to go around !!! ;-)

zoranko wrote:yes, it's mine...
keyboard: novation x-station 61, built in 2xIN, 2xOUT audio
computer: intel quad core on mini ITX mainboard, 4GB RAM, 2X SSD HDD, DVD drive
korg nano pad, korg nano kontrol,
built in 3x3 USB MIDI interface, wooden side-panels, alu box for PC parts
total weight 16,5 kg (w/o monitor)

I was also thinking about built-in touchscreen, but it is OK how it is, in studio with 24'' monitor, on stage with 15''...
Great !
Where is your PC located? Internal?
And did you create an alu main frame?
What wood did you use for the case? Or is it metal?

16,5 kg is very ok !!! :-)

godly wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
godly wrote:

Seems that we need to start providing tutorials for these to go around !!! ;-)
It does come up frequently. usually someone suggests that a standalone box with x86 mobo inside emulating synth x,y or z should be cheap to do and that loads of money made lol. The reality is that you can easily do it for home use.

UltraJv wrote: It does come up frequently. usually someone suggests that a standalone box with x86 mobo inside emulating synth x,y or z should be cheap to do and that loads of money made lol. The reality is that you can easily do it for home use.
I'm not sure you'd have to meet all those requirements. Think about all the boutique stomp boxes, preamps, compressors and other audio devices built by small manufacturers. I doubt they pay 50K per product.

izonin wrote:
UltraJv wrote: It does come up frequently. usually someone suggests that a standalone box with x86 mobo inside emulating synth x,y or z should be cheap to do and that loads of money made lol. The reality is that you can easily do it for home use.
I'm not sure you'd have to meet all those requirements. Think about all the boutique stomp boxes, preamps, compressors and other audio devices built by small manufacturers. I doubt they pay 50K per product.
Analogue audio wont cause RFI, its digital stuff that will do it.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”