Crazy Idea: DIY 'Budget' Neko

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

godly wrote:
Great !
Where is your PC located? Internal?
And did you create an alu main frame?
What wood did you use for the case? Or is it metal?

16,5 kg is very ok !!! :-)
My technical explanation in english will be hard to understand... :)

maybe more pictures explains it:
the whole thing is on 70x100 cm 8mm thick wooden plate. X-station is held by double-sided sticking tape (i thing it was some 3M industrial construction tape)
Behind the controller is from right to left, next to each other: PC power supply - mainboard - DVD drive with HDD on top - 3x3 USB MIDI interface. Whole part behind the controller is covered by ALU cover, 2mm thick. The holes for all connectors and devices on the back side were cut on laser plotter, then the ALU plate was bend.
this was the initial idea, in google sketchup...
here you can see the ALU "cover" behind the controller...
Back of the monster - the power supply and PC part
the left back side - MIDI interface and connectors, audio IN and OUT, foot pedal connectors...
The X-station is powered over USB from PC inside, korg NANO things and the MIDI interface the same...
The side panels are wooden, don't remember what type of wood, but nothing special. Korg NANO, the monitor and the PC keyboard are held on top by velcro tape. Thats all, if you have the materials and electronic parts, not more than 10 hours of work.
just FYI it's running on audio-optimized win XP pro, 32 bit, Reaper... :D
... and is not for sale...

Wow man ! Fabulous !
Good idea about the 3M tape and velcro ! I was thinking about screws and hooks, but indeed, this is smarter. :-)
I'm still wrestling to get my laptop running with Cantabile, but am thinking how to get it all together like this. Are you just controlling all the synths live with reaper???
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

godly wrote:Wow man ! Fabulous !
...Are you just controlling all the synths live with reaper???
basically yes... :)

...this is the "studio" setup but, on stage it is only the Kurzweil, SynthSz, JX8P and QS 300...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t9Cp5gfSR4

zoranko, you removed your photobucket files, would you have some other pictures to post again? I'm still fiddling with the idea ;-)
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

godly wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
godly wrote:
zoranko wrote:nice idea...
it already exists.. :)
Hehe, great ! as any idea, it is already out there.
Nothing is ever new and as we think of it, others get the info also, I suppose it happens by Uwifi (universal wifi)

Indeed it's impossible to sell it because others own the rights on the hardware.
Not so much that but in order to sell them, you would need to obtain FCC/CE approval for interference with other devices. This can cost many tens of thousands of dollars. That's why these systems cost what they do.
Seems that we need to start providing tutorials for these to go around !!! ;-)
FCC/CE certs do not cost nearly that much for unintentional radiators or stuff under CE's low-voltage directive. You're thinking of UL or TUV listing for stuff that uses remotes/bluetooth/etc.
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

rifftrax wrote:
godly wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
godly wrote:
zoranko wrote:nice idea...
it already exists.. :)
Hehe, great ! as any idea, it is already out there.
Nothing is ever new and as we think of it, others get the info also, I suppose it happens by Uwifi (universal wifi)

Indeed it's impossible to sell it because others own the rights on the hardware.
Not so much that but in order to sell them, you would need to obtain FCC/CE approval for interference with other devices. This can cost many tens of thousands of dollars. That's why these systems cost what they do.
Seems that we need to start providing tutorials for these to go around !!! ;-)
FCC/CE certs do not cost nearly that much for unintentional radiators or stuff under CE's low-voltage directive. You're thinking of UL or TUV listing for stuff that uses remotes/bluetooth/etc.
UL is not about interference, UL is Underwriters Laboratories which really is about safety and insurance. From the UL site
"UL is a world leader in product safety testing and certification. For more than 100 years, manufacturers have had their merchandise evaluated and tested for safety risks by our independent, third-party safety certification organization. Last year alone, approximately 14 billion products with the UL Mark entered the global marketplace."
how much it costs I have no idea...CE is European and I really do not know much about it beyond it's not the same as UL. As I understand it it's about conforming to laws and does not need a third party to validate it as it's based on self declaration...but again that's just my understanding and I could be way off.

:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
UL is not about interference, UL is Underwriters Laboratories which really is about safety and insurance. From the UL site
That's silly. UL does TONS of stuff with RF/EMC regulation and certification.

http://industries.ul.com/emc/
Hink wrote:how much it costs I have no idea...
I do, I oversee all the certifications for the product lines that I manage.
Hink wrote:CE is European and I really do not know much about it beyond it's not the same as UL. As I understand it it's about conforming to laws and does not need a third party to validate it as it's based on self declaration...but again that's just my understanding and I could be way off.
You are correct on that part. The point I was making is that getting a UL listing is always way more expensive than just validating a component to comply with say title 47 part 15 of the FCC's rules and regulations.

point taken, but when you see a product that has the UL listed label on it it is about safety...taken from wiki
UL (Underwriters Laboratories) is a safety consulting and certification company headquartered in Northbrook, Illinois. It maintains offices in 46 countries. UL was established in 1894 and has participated in the safety analysis of many of the last century's new technologies, most notably the public adoption of electricity and the drafting of safety standards for electrical devices and components
UL provides safety-related certification, validation, testing, inspection, auditing, advising and training services to a wide range of clients, including manufacturers, retailers, policymakers, regulators, service companies, and consumers.

UL is one of several companies approved to perform safety testing by the US federal agency Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). OSHA maintains a list of approved testing laboratories, which are known as Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories.
are they doing more these days? Of course technology has provided them with a much larger marketplace and new directions they can take. But they still started out as underwriters for electrical devices assuring that they meet safety requirements.

btw thanx for digging this up, it makes me happy to know people are digging into the DIY forum that deep :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: are they doing more these days? Of course technology has provided them with a much larger marketplace and new directions they can take. But they still started out as underwriters for electrical devices assuring that they meet safety requirements.

btw thanx for digging this up, it makes me happy to know people are digging into the DIY forum that deep :)
You're absolutely right that the heritage of UL is rooted in safety. But it's helpful to remember that regulations for RF/EMC also have a core root in safety as well (operational stability and interference resilience of medical, military and emergency-use equipment for instance).

With as much involvement I have these days working with electronics, I figure I might as well start digging into all the DIY areas of the forums I frequent to bolster what I'm already learning. :)

rifftrax wrote:
Hink wrote: are they doing more these days? Of course technology has provided them with a much larger marketplace and new directions they can take. But they still started out as underwriters for electrical devices assuring that they meet safety requirements.

You're absolutely right that the heritage of UL is rootedin safety. But it's helpful to remember that regulations for RF/EMC also have a core root in safety as well (operational stability and interference resilience of medical, military and emergency-use equipment for instance).

With as much involvement I have these days working with electronics, I figure I might as well start digging into all the DIY areas of the forums I frequent to bolster what I'm already learning. :)
well you see that's it right there, sometimes I'm still stuck in the last century :oops:

Godly: PM

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”