Custom DIY MIDI Keyboards

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Being that there's nothing currently on the market that really appeals to me (and, from what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm not really alone in my dissatisfaction), I've started looking into what's been done in the way of custom MIDI keyboards. While there's been a lot of DIY customization in MIDI controllers, it rarely involves a keyboard.

I did come across this, though: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2012/04/moo6 ... board.html

This seems like a fantastic idea (minus the lack of pitch/mod wheels/stick), and one that I'd love to see implemented by manufacturers. To me, this is ideal. The large, flat top would allow you to put whatever MIDI control surfaces, audio interfaces, synth modules, monitors, etc. you wish on top for easy access. Taking it a step further, it would be even better if the keyboard were housed in a more compact casing that could be attached to the larger chassis as seen above. This would make it portable and no larger than needed if space is an issue. Then individual gripes about too many controls, not enough controls, or the wrong controls that pertain to today's average MIDI keyboard would no longer apply. You could use the space above the keys with whatever controls you like. Especially if the keys were the quality of a Virus or Motif (which, in the link above, is not the case), this would be a sure buy.

You could put a Novation Nocturn (if you, let's say, especially need a cross fader), Nektar Panorama P1, V-Synth XT, and a Kaoss pad up there and have yourself a cool, unique MIDI controller keyboard station. Or any combination you could imagine to suit your needs. You could make use of all the "real estate" available, rather than only using the left quarter of the keyboard, like many manufacturers do, because they don't want spend extra money adding more controls for the longer 49- and 61-key versions (see Novation Remote SL61 and Roland A-800 Pro for examples).

Opinions? What would you love to see on the market that hasn't been seen, or at least not in a long while? What would your ideal controller look like? Aware of any cool DIY keyboards? Made any forays into it yourself? I'm very curious.

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

Check out the Accessories page. Doepfer have the pcb's to go with the keybeds to make the full controller. They also have their own (Expensive!)cased controllers ~(very plain looking).

Jim Y wrote:http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

Check out the Accessories page. Doepfer have the pcb's to go with the keybeds to make the full controller. They also have their own (Expensive!)cased controllers ~(very plain looking).
I love this page. :D

I'd have to say, given the availability of everything you could need to put something together, the hardest part of it all is getting casing for it. I don't even know where one would start. I guess that's why it's going to stay a pipe dream.

Casing is the hardest part! Large sizes of ali sheet and nice hardwood for the end cheeks could be expensive bought new. The best bet would be to look out for scrap items to recycle.
That said, cheap readily available sheet timber products like MDF & ply and planed stripwood could make a case, carefully lined with foil to make it screened and you can get acrylic or perspex sheet from crafts outlets to make a nice control surface.
If you're not sure of your skills, start with a cheap second/hand controller. Some of them are fairly modular inside so you can re-arrange the controls.
I always liked how many early keyboard instruments were arranged, with some of the controls on a near vertical strip behind the keyboard leaving the top surface totally clear.

whoa ! I liked the idea that you could put your monitor on the keyboard itself.

I want to make a custom case. The one in that picture is beautiful. It really is a shame that there are not more pianos that are pleasing. I have an ols Studiologic sl990 and I am going to take out the keybed and make a custom case. Any tips on where to buy etc would be great. Thanks!
I would really like something like this
keyboard! Midi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”