Home studio acoustic control

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guys, I have roughly a 19' by 14' room. Mixing desk close to center and monitors creating an equilateral triangle from the mixing position. However, in the mixing position, bass presence is slim to say it best, but mix (bass to treble)sounds better about 4' behind me while mixing.( against the back wall)

When I get to a computer I will upload a drawing, to this post, of the room layout.

I just wanted to get some thoughts. I've been designing some real nice kicks lately, but this frequency issue is driving me nuckin futs.
--Sound Comes First--

Yeah it's gonna be a real pain with the lower frequencies as well.

If it sounds better 4' back then why not move everything?

what do you mean by 'slim' ? Is it like slim, gone ? or like, weak ? One thing i know is that using a monitor pad isn't going to change anything

Thanks for the replies. By slim , to be specific , I'm not getting the sub freqs like 80 hz and below. Some kind of phase cancellation. Just not sure how to combat it
--Sound Comes First--

John slayer's Recording Design Forum is the first place you should visit. You'll likely spend a lot of time reading there...

Then go to Home Theatre Shack's REW Forum and get their free Room EQ Wizard software to help you analyze your room.

With a relatively cheap ECM test mic, you can find out a lot about your room and the analysis will help you find the best spot for your setup.

You're likely working In a rectangular room. Ceiling height is another crucial factor (the higher the better). As physically practical and ergonomic as it is, you'll soon find that having your listening position in the exact center of a rectangular room is the WORST place to be for cancellation. You might also want to do some minimal treatment to tame some of the bad aspects of your room. BTW, bass is the most difficult thing to control in a room and why pro control rooms never have parallel walls.

It won't be easy but it will pay off. Most people are looking to everything except their room to fix their sound, but it should be any serious pro or semi-pro audio person's first consideration.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”