Hacking the EWI 3020 controller?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks, I want to make a custom arduino based interface for my ewi controller, but am having a hell of a time finding resources on the CV output specs from the controller. I know it uses a 10 pin cable, has 6 CV outs, and accepts power, but beyond that I'm stuck. If anyone has done this or knows how I could get started, that would be luverly.

I basically want to power it, sample the cv levels, and then pass it all to the computer as OSC signals.

thanks!
Iain

A voltage meter should let you check the max CV out, so the rest of it is presumable just conversion to your OSC values.

Found this cache of a document for a 3rd-party PC interface for the EWI

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... GU&cad=rja

It talks about calibrating the device CVs, and by the look of it, the software was basically has a manual set of values, one for each note. In other words, rather than being a mathematical volt-frequency conversion, its table-driven, which would possibly be fairly easy for you to implement too.

The rest of the CVs seem to be translated as customised log, lin or exp curves, so again there's less of an issue as to what it generates as to how you convert it to a value, since the device seems fairly flexible.

Hope that's of some use...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks!!! That's exactly what I need. =)

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”