Rackmounting stuff...

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone, first of all I should mention that I'm not really a Do-it-yourself kinda guy...

I'm also sorta confused how this whole "Rack-mounting" stuff works...

I've recently begun purchasing parts to build a computer, a friend of mine is going to help me actually build it, and I wanted a Rack-mount PC for the convenience and so I purchased a rack-mount case for it, but now I'm actually confused how to go about rack-mounting it.

I purchased a basic and affordable workstation desk room Sweetwater and it has served me well. They have an add-on that you can buy that is meant for rack-mounting hardware... Here it is... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WS7500RRB

Here is the case I purchased for my new PC... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147155

My question is, how the heck do I put a computer in that thing? Clearly, even I can tell that it is going to require more than just that desk add-on and a rack-mountable PC. I already bought the case, but I have yet to buy the desk add-on.

Sorry for sounding so stupid... You can make fun of me if you like, but this is my first time dealing with rack-mount stuff. :wink:

Before you do anything check the depth of the rack addon. Rack-mounted PC cases can be fairly deep (Ive got servers which easily exceed 2 feet deep whereas the deepest of my own rackmounted audio gear is a few inches).

Checking, Im not entirely sure if this will 'fit' completely, in the sense that it'll extend slightly; youve got a depth of 24" for your PC, and a depth of 23.8" for the case/ however I dont think it wont be mountable, as it looks like the rear of the rack wont obstruct the PC case. I could be wrong, though, so do check before you spend money.

With servers, what you normally find is that the server gets mounted onto (side) its own rails, and its the rails that bolt onto the rack, but your case looks like it has direct mounting holes, so thats probably not going to be the case for your, erm, case.

If you look at the picture of that case, there are flanges on either side of the front face with two holes in them. Those are the rack 'ears' and they are the part that gets bolted to your rack, two bolts on either side. They should match the spacing on your rack.

You'll need bolts/nuts to do so, check if they come with the rack. In this case, Im not sure you'll need to use the cage part of cage nuts (if you did, the holes on the rack would be square not round) but this is the kind of thing you're after:

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/music ... 87938.html

With those its a case of siteing the nut over the hole on the back of the vertical rack rail, then the bolt from the front, with the head sat in the cup of the washer, through the case's rack ear, through the rack rail, into the washer, then tighten.
I suspect you might need already need a second person to hold the computer case steady while you fit the nuts and tighten them, as it can be a bit awkward to do with heavy/bulky gea
Looking at it though, you've not got an easy way to steady the nuts from the rear, so its gonna be awkward. Thats why cage nuts are handy, FWIW; they 'clip' to the rails.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thank you for your very informative response! Just what I was looking for! It doesn't sound too difficult, from the way it sounds, this sounds like what I had figured I would have to do, until I received the case and found out how heavy it is... I didn't think just attaching the front of the computer to the front of the rack would be enough to support it so I assumed there would be more involved than that.

So, just to be clear, I simply have to add the nuts and the bolts to the front end where the 'rack ears' and the actually rack is... and that's it? It won't need any extra support? I won't have to drill hols through my desk or do any other crazy stuff? :D

Also, I'm assuming it'd be best to rack the PC lower to the ground, correct? It is rather heavy and it will probably be the heaviest thing I ever rack-mount lol

... but again, thank you so much for the help!

:)

Godseyse wrote:So, just to be clear, I simply have to add the nuts and the bolts to the front end where the 'rack ears' and the actually rack is... and that's it? It won't need any extra support? I won't have to drill hols through my desk or do any other crazy stuff? :D
If those rack rails are steel, they'll hold a decent amount of weight, more than most audio gear you'll generally find, but I cant absolutely guarantee what they can support in the way of a metal-cased loaded-out PC.
Server racks typically have vertical rails at the front and rear, it has to be said, but not every server Ive seen has its side rails hook up at the back.

However, bear in mind that the rack ears on the PC mean the weight is spread over 6" or so of height, and two bolts. As long as the bolts are good and tight, and stay that way, of course. I suspect with too much loosening, and the weight could settle on the bolts, rather than against the rail, meaning they become the weak link.
Also, I'm assuming it'd be best to rack the PC lower to the ground, correct? It is rather heavy and it will probably be the heaviest thing I ever rack-mount lol
I'd put it as low as possible, yes. The lowest point is only a couple of inches above the ground, so if you are concerned, you could always find something solid of the right height to put under the PC at the back to support it more. Watch ventilation points if you do that though.

Godseyse wrote:So, just to be clear, I simply have to add the nuts and the bolts to the front end where the 'rack ears' and the actually rack is... and that's it? It won't need any extra support?
I would have thought it would definitely need support towards the back or else you have the whole weight of the PC being supported by the rack ears. I've seen weighty unsupported equipment a lot shorter than that PC case actually bend the front panel or the rack itself (yeah, cheap rack, local govt. :)).

For IT server racks etc. you can buy shelves and extra supports that you just bolt into the rack at the back to give the support you need (though, as WR says, rails tend to be used for servers).

However, it doesn't look like that's possible with the rack you listed, no mounting strips at the back. I guess intended purely for lighter weight audio rack equipment.

GaryG wrote:For IT server racks etc. you can buy shelves and extra supports that you just bolt into the rack at the back to give the support you need (though, as WR says, rails tend to be used for servers).

However, it doesn't look like that's possible with the rack you listed, no mounting strips at the back. I guess intended purely for lighter weight audio rack equipment.
That raises one possible option though; you can get fairly short rack rails (eg this 6U set), so could maybe bolt a shelf to both the vertical rails, and something like that at the back, acting as secondary legs.

Interesting. I'd like to have as much support as I can for it, I'm going to need this PC to last me awhile lol. Could you possibly elaborate a little more on what you meant by using the smaller rack rails as "legs?"
I'm sure what you meant is rather self explanatory, but I just want to make sure I fully understand lol :tu:

I'm looking up shelves, but all of the shelves I've seen only have a front, and no back to bolt it to a rack.

Im thinking of something like this:

http://www.dcdi.co.uk/product/25/19-rac ... es/D402005

It would this be bolted on to the lowest level of your rack at the front, and at the back onto short rack strip like the 6U set I linked to before, but with enough of the rails protruding 'below' the shelf that they reach to floor level.

You can get rack strip in all sorts of heights, darn cheap.

http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/15-netwo ... trip-audio

(note : these rack strips need cage nuts)

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”