A quick easy method of building electronic drum triggers & contact microphones

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a quick guide on how to create drum triggers / contact microphones.
They were created for a micro e drum kit project in 2011. But are adaptable & equally effective on acoustic drumkits etc

larger view
http://imgur.com/a/RVqjq

Tested with or on a XCC acoustic guitar.. Alesis Trigger iO & Alesis DM5 drum brain..

MATERIALS ..

Piezo transducer.
16mm Oval conduit or mini marker pens.
Jack / Rca plugs.
Sleeving..
wire

# Hint # A inexpensive scart lead can be a useful source for the wiring & sleeving.

OPTIONAL MATERIALS

The optional materials are for mounting , or sealing the openings.

Eg
Double sided tape.
Cork , blu-tack - candle wax, Polyfoam.
3A electrical terminal block strip
Marker pen end caps

TOOLS

Soldering iron
Long nosed pliers
Scissors
Wire stripper.

CONSTRUCTION ..

Oval conduit is used in the electrical trade to protect cables from damage. It's inexpensive,tough,strong & a ideal alternative for enclosing piezo transducers.It's supplied in 2 metre lengths & costs around 60 - 150 uk pence...

#Hint# Oval conduit leftovers can be modified & used as drumsticks or frames.

We simply cut or fold the piezo transducer to suit our task & insert it into the enclosure.. The openings can be sealed with cork, foam ,blu tack or a mini marker pen cap.

#Hint# A large piezo can be cut & used to create 2 or 3 triggers.

The piezo transducer is folded in clips 2 ,3 & 4 which is optional. (I wanted to see if could have a hotter signal in a smaller space ) It will need a thin layer of flexible insulation between the fold to prevent shorts.If you follow this method.

This was an earlier build using marker pens. I switched to using oval conduit as it was easier to source & prepare. I could also combine 2 piezo's to create a stereo pickup ..

#Hint # This brand of marker pen end caps was a perfect fit to seal the 16mm oval conduit openings.

MOUNTING ..

Double sided tape,blu tack are obvious choices .But these triggers were primarily created for e drums which are woven.

#HINT# If you remove the plastic covering from a single phase of electrical terminal block . Your left with a nice metal fastener which is perfect for fixing,adjusting etc. ( See those tiny wires on the triggers )

ADDITIONAL NOTES..

The piezo is shaped / tapered so it's wedged in tight .. Special attention , consideration & quality control must also be taken to screen cables & prevent interference. A variable resistor ( 100 - 500k ohms depending on the piezo output ) may also be required to control the signal level.If used as a guitar pickup.

...........................................................................................................

BACKGROUND

I'm an Electrical ,Electronic Technician.. I wanted to create the smallest most silent but responsive e drum out of glass or clear materials. But avoid using rubber, mesh etc.
I'll expand on this method of woven e drums in detail in a separate topic..

Created by Rob Element aka Tygaelement in 2011
Cubase 5 , Cubase Elements 7 , Bass guitar , Drums, Turntables

Cool.

I never realised you could bend piezos, assumed the ceramic would shatter for some reason...

Geez - those GIF's are hard on the eyes.
Why not static images or a video?

And why a "mini" drumkit? What about a regular E-Drum set?
Kind of fail to see the reason for this build other than "how small can it get".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Geez - those GIF's are hard on the eyes.
Why not static images or a video?

This topic was created to support my comment on Drumsanywhere software.

. Click here to see my previous creations on my Flickr page .It's in disarray since Flickr upgraded so i abandoned it in 2011

Compyfox wrote: And why a "mini" drumkit? What about a regular E-Drum set?

".
( See Flickr ) I created some larger frames in the past but evolved as i keep discovering new materials & methods. My mini window ledge kit is more adaptable , tidier & classier in my current environment.
Compyfox wrote: Kind of fail to see the reason for this build other than "how small can it get".

I visualise e drums to be like a spiderweb rather than rubber slab ,mesh etc drums ..So my focus is on the string..

The web ( string ) is the antenna & the drum stick Is the prey .This opens up more creative , stylish ,classier responsive opportunities & avenues...
Last edited by tific on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Can you maybe give more details on your "racket drum kit"?
Maybe even more pictures or a video?

The concept looks/sounds interesting, but I didn't see any pictures where you placed the piezo's.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

@ Compyfox Please check your pm..

I like checking out these pictures, some good ideas. I've messed with piezos a bit, I had them taped to cardboard squares. The problem I found was that they weren't braced for vibration, and every 2 weeks or so, even not hitting them directly, one would become unsoldered.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I have a couple of piezo's on my hammered dulcimer I built. Stupid me thought putting two Duncan Woody's in the bottom of the dulcimer would work and I figure using industrial strength epoxy was the best way to put them in. They didn't work at all so now I have 100 dollars worth of pups laughing at me every time I look at the dulcimer...I paid $7.95 a piece for each of the piezos and they work great :dog:

edit: good stuff tific, thanx :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”