Modular Synths anyone?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone tried using Modular Synths from these guys? These are different from midi controllers.

http://www.synthesizers.com/

I saw them in a documentary on Netflix (Which I HIGHLY Recommend as it's basically about the start of electronic music, etc). They even talk about how giant events like Ultra are run by workforce management software. It's pretty crazy.

I know a popular DJ known as Deadmau5 (Deadmouse) got one of these, in fact he was in the video as well (At the very end).

Now obviously his budget is way higher then mine. Heck I ask for a receipt in word format for everything. lol

So I wanted to know if you guys know them or recommend an alternative.

If worst comes to worst, I can always 3D print mine (Well maybe not just yet . . .):
https://pinshape.com/items/7200-3d-prin ... l-keyboard
Last edited by audioonlyplease on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

There's a few modular owners around here, mostly Eurorack format. dotcom (ie synthesizers.com) stuff has a very good reputation, and I know of at least a couple of old inactive members who had systems by them. Somebody currently here mentioned one recently, but I cant remember who it was, though. Doing a search here for 'dotcom' should track down relevant posts.
dotcom is one of the 'oldschool' independent modular makers, and, being large-format Moog-y stuff tends to the traditions of those big old dinosaur(*) modulars. Eurorack is the seething edge of modular evolution, lots of strange and weird stuff, a lot of which is actually digital.

I have a Eurorack system myself, plus a small Bugbrand Frac-Rack format system.

However, when it comes to modular stuff, I'd suggest you have a look at muffwiggler.com; its centred around modular synths the way KVR is centred around plugins.

(*) This is not a pejorative. Everyone loves dinosaurs! ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:However, when it comes to modular stuff, I'd suggest you have a look at muffwiggler.com; its centred around modular synths the way KVR is centred around plugins.
I'll second that opinion. MuffWiggler.com and ModularGrid.com should be your first two stops.

Buying a complete system is one way to go. The other way is to buy a powered rack of your chosen format and pick a couple modules that interest you. When you have a little knowledge and experience, pick up one or two more modules. This way, the system grows with you and you end up with something that actually meets your needs.

The hazard of buying a complete system is that by the time you really learn how to use it, you realize most of the modules need to be sold off to buy the ones you really want. If you're an established musician who is just looking for a new and highly-flexible instrument, this may be fine, but for rest of us, modular is a journey and an exploration of personal sound that develops over time. :phones:

Eurorack is definitely the way to go. Not only is it the most affordable modular format, but also where most of the innovation is happening.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

audioonlyplease wrote: I saw them in a documentary on Netflix (Which I HIGHLY Recommend as it's basically about the start of electronic music, etc).
What is the name of this documentary?

wormfingers wrote:
audioonlyplease wrote: I saw them in a documentary on Netflix (Which I HIGHLY Recommend as it's basically about the start of electronic music, etc).
I Dream of Wires.
deastman wrote:Eurorack is definitely the way to go. Not only is it the most affordable modular format, but also where most of the innovation is happening.
+ 1.

And the Muffwiggler forum is where all the modular stuff happens, it's an extremely friendly bunch of helpful people, although they do not care about charity like the good folks here on KVR, neither do the developers within the Eurorack domain with the exception of Mutable Instruments and a few others. :wink:
Last edited by Luftrum on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

wormfingers wrote:
"I Dream of Wires," probably.

Edit: Luftrum is quicker. :wink:
바보

@luftrum & bftucker

Awesome, thanks! I know what I'm watching tonight!

Luftrum wrote:And the Muffwiggler forum is where all the modular stuff happens, it's an extremely friendly bunch of helpful people, although they do not care about charity like the good folks here on KVR, neither do the developers within the Eurorack domain with the exception of Mutable Instruments and a few others. :wink:
That's a pretty mean-spirited statement to make, and its just plain untrue. For example, when longstanding KVR member Chuck E. Jesus died, it was the Muffwiggler forum that raised funds for his kids, not KVR.
Considering the fact that that you were quite happy to solicit people over there to bid here, but have no clue who overlaps between these two places, such a cheap dig seems pretty, well, uncharitable. Its pretty clear that some people bidding were brand-new to KVR, especially on the modular gear being offered. Snarks like that are a good way of souring people on getting involved. Pretty damn uncalled for, really.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Luftrum wrote:And the Muffwiggler forum is where all the modular stuff happens, it's an extremely friendly bunch of helpful people, although they do not care about charity like the good folks here on KVR, neither do the developers within the Eurorack domain with the exception of Mutable Instruments and a few others. :wink:
That's a pretty mean-spirited statement to make, and its just plain untrue. For example, when longstanding KVR member Chuck E. Jesus died, it was the Muffwiggler forum that raised funds for his kids, not KVR.
Considering the fact that that you were quite happy to solicit people over there to bid here, but have no clue who overlaps between these two places, such a cheap dig seems pretty, well, uncharitable. Its pretty clear that some people bidding were brand-new to KVR, especially on the modular gear being offered. Snarks like that are a good way of souring people on getting involved. Pretty damn uncalled for, really.
Agreed. And plenty of us have made donations to Mike, who, unlike KVR, runs the forum without advertising. not to mention those who sent money to Kevin Lightner when his health was failing. Just because you didn't get more modular manufacturers or users of another forum donating to your charity in this forum is no reason to take pot shots. And let's not forget that all those one-person boutique modular synth companies would have very real costs if they donated hardware, unlike software developers.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”