RIP Maplins...

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess folks in the UK have heard Maplins have called the administrators in, although they're horribly overpriced generally I'll miss them, fond memories of flicking through their scifi themed catalogues as a teen... And handy for when you need a couple of resistors on a Sunday afternoon... :)

And of course the wonders of Capitalism mean we get to profit from their downfall; just had a look around my local store (Closing Soon...) and most stuff was at least 10% off with a lot at 20, 30 or 50% even. Though it also illustrates why they're going bust as most stuff is still more expensive than the online stores (though a few bargains, midi keyboards at 20% off, if you want an maudio oxygen...)

However, bargains; all the enclosures were 50% off (I picked up three guitar pedal sized aluminium boxes for £2-3 each) and all the cable, wire etc was too (as in stuff on spools, not ready made leads), will probably stock up on screened cable. Also worth having a look at their website, seem to have a lot of random things like pots for silly money (40p...)

If any one still has a branch open there them then could be worth a final look; my local (Broadstairs) has 100 resistors (mo .6w) for a quid, various loose components for pennies and lots of discounted hardware-y stuff (battery boxes, connectors etc). They also had a few neutrik plugs for just 40p surprisingly.

I went to my local store yesterday and picked up another power supply suitable for my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. M-Audio apparently don't sell replacements. The original PSU failed a couple of years back and Maplin were the only store that I could find who stocked a suitable replacement. The PSU was originally £40 and was reduced to £12.

They had some Behringer multi PSU at my local but I didn't pay much attention, maybe I should've.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”