PsyBox demo crashes Ableton Live

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been trying to get the demo to work, but it locks up Ableton Live on Windows XP every time I try. Just can't load it as a VST.

I have Live Lite 8.27 and Live 6.11 - does the same with both of them.

Any ideas?

OK, add to the list that it also freezes in Energy XT 2.6.

FWIW, the full version works fine here under win7 in Live 8, Renoise 2.7 and 2.8 beta (64bit) and Bidule 32 and 64bit.

Do you have the .net framework? I don't know what dependencies Psybox has, but a lot of stuff that fails on XP fails because .net is not installed (it's integrated from Vista onwards, so a lot of devs forget to mention it).

Since all hosts crash it seems more like a OS/compatibility problem on your end.

I personally did not test on XP but on Windows Vista and Windows 7 in 32 bit and 64 bit without a problem. Not sure why it would not work on XP but I will investigate with Boris.

Just curious but have you tried it as a standalone using a program like SaviHost?

I think the problem like Wasi pointed out is in not having .NET framework installed. It is defaulted on Windows Vista and Windows 7 and will effect several things including Direct X.

You can get .NET framework here: http://www.microsoft.com/net/download

OK, I managed to get it resolved. Seems there was a conflict with my ASIO driver, as things worked fine once I tried using it with ASIO4ALL instead.

Tried to go back to my hardware's ASIO driver and try again and guess what? It works fine now...

Not sure what the problem was but it's resolved and behaving now.

Was just ready to order it last night but PayPal is proving to be very difficult to work with. Will probably have to create a new PayPal account and will order it tonight.

robojam wrote:OK, I managed to get it resolved. Seems there was a conflict with my ASIO driver, as things worked fine once I tried using it with ASIO4ALL instead.

Tried to go back to my hardware's ASIO driver and try again and guess what? It works fine now...

Not sure what the problem was but it's resolved and behaving now.

Was just ready to order it last night but PayPal is proving to be very difficult to work with. Will probably have to create a new PayPal account and will order it tonight.
Good to hear. Just out of curiosity what sound card do you use?

Was just going in to post again that Live or XT crashes when I use it. Thought it was fixed but I've had another couple of crashes that have completely locked up XP to the point where I have to turn the PC off and restart it.

Didn't see the sound card post. Currently I use a Behringer Xenyx 1024 USB. I have other soundcards in boxes but there's too much crap in the way to dig them out and try a different one.

You can usually use your onboard soundcard and the headphone out with Asio4All as well, just select that as the output in the DAW. Also, if latency is no issue, DirectX and other drivers should also work, certainly for testing stability.

Seeing as initial resolution indicated a driver issue I'd explore that angle... other soundcard/interface, install/reinstall drivers etc. You're using a fossil of an OS ( :wink: ), so that's the most likely culprit in some way or another IMO. If it doesn't crash using another interface it's the interface or it's drivers, if it does, it still may be some other sytem issue.

Also, do you have enough RAM/CPU?

I want to avoid using ASIO4ALL if possible, as the hardware's ASIO driver has never had a problem before, only with psyBOX. DirectX does introduce some latency so I don't want to go there either.

I checked to see if there's a driver update, but I have the most recent one. While I am using a fossil OS, I have never had this issue before.

RAM and CPU have always been adequate for anything else too. I even get this problem running eXT and psyBOX with nothing else loaded or running.

It really does seem to point to ASIO driver and psyBOX together that causes the problem.

What are your system specs?

Previous problems or not, if it doesn't crash with other interfaces, the problem probably is that interface. Using ASIO on your Soundcard would allow for an easy way to check that, since you don't want to dig out your outboard interfaces.

And what is your CPU usage with Psybox? Granular stuff is very CPU hungry. The fact that you haven't had CPU issues using something else is no indicator. Granular synthesis is like running dozens of synth plugins at once. Only whether or not your CPU is maxing out with PsyBox is an indication of how well your system can handle psyBox. Again, I don't know what your specs are so it's impossible to tell whether you're well in the green or borderline.

If CPU/RAM is not an issue, try other interfaces, that's the only way to rule out that particular interface as the problem. If it crashes with others too, it's most likely not the interface. If you've tried different USB ports, that is. Even then it could still be the OS though.

wasi wrote:What are your system specs?

Previous problems or not, if it doesn't crash with other interfaces, the problem probably is that interface. Using ASIO on your Soundcard would allow for an easy way to check that, since you don't want to dig out your outboard interfaces.

And what is your CPU usage with Psybox? Granular stuff is very CPU hungry. The fact that you haven't had CPU issues using something else is no indicator. Granular synthesis is like running dozens of synth plugins at once. Only whether or not your CPU is maxing out with PsyBox is an indication of how well your system can handle psyBox. Again, I don't know what your specs are so it's impossible to tell whether you're well in the green or borderline.

If CPU/RAM is not an issue, try other interfaces, that's the only way to rule out that particular interface as the problem. If it crashes with others too, it's most likely not the interface. If you've tried different USB ports, that is. Even then it could still be the OS though.
I'm sure it is the driver AND psyBOX as that's the only combination that triggers it. Not sure I could pin it down to one over the other as I've seen nothing to indicate which one is really at fault.

My CPU usage is about the same as any other granular stuff I have done i.e. with Reaktor and I think the highest I saw was around 65%. It's an older CPU (don't remember what it is right now), but it's always been adequate for a single VST being loaded - never managed to tip it over the edge before and haven't seen the CPU indicator in Live show more than the 65% with psyBOX.

I only have 1.5GB of RAM, but that too seems to handle everything pretty well with only a single plug.

However, the system doesn't lock up when psyBOX is running, it only ever locks up when I add psyBOX to a channel. If it's up and running I have had no problems with it at all.

Return to “Instruments”