psyGEN Granular synth and sequencer (RELEASED)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jethrobull wrote:
optofonik wrote:Clicks and pops on every keypress even up to 1024 buffer. Project sample rate is 48k. Computer has 8gb of ram and running a Phenon II X6 110T cpu at stock speed of 3.3. It looks great and in between the clicks and pops it sounds like it could be one of my go-to tools but at the moment it's unusable.

EDIT

Temporarily OCed my CPU to 3.8 and changed the project sample rate to 44.1. No dice, same clicks and pops.
Have you tried disabling yout internet devices? I have the same issue so everytime i turn off the connection and play. :)
The latency spikes just screw my audio...pop, snap, click..
Just tried it and it didn't make a difference. Neither did moving the samples to my sample library drive. A little disappointed to say the least. I have psyBOX and Ambitron and they both work great.

I also tried using it under jBridge with no better result.

I don't see any other posts mentioning such high CPU load in spite of the warning on the product page but my Cubase's performance meter spikes every time I press a key on the simplest patches.

EDIT

Opened Windoes' "Task Manager" and Resource Monitor" and neither are showing the CPU spikes I'm getting in Cubase.
"Let us wander through a great modern city with our ears more alert than our eyes..." Luigi Russolo, 1913

optofonik wrote:Clicks and pops on every keypress even up to 1024 buffer. Project sample rate is 48k. Computer has 8gb of ram and running a Phenon II X6 110T cpu at stock speed of 3.3. It looks great and in between the clicks and pops it sounds like it could be one of my go-to tools but at the moment it's unusable.

EDIT

Temporarily OCed my CPU to 3.8 and changed the project sample rate to 44.1. No dice, same clicks and pops.
Increase the ASIO buffer.

optofonik wrote:
Bobbotov wrote:Actually, you do not have to have the samples in the psyGEN folder.
I moved the psyGEN samples to my sample library drive. How do I enter this new path into psyGEN so it "sees" the samples in their new location without having to individually redirect for each sample in every patch?

What I meant is samples for patches you create in answer to the other poster's question. The original source psyGEN patches have to be in the psyGEN folder as that is hard coded to the patch.
Last edited by Bobbotov on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

optofonik wrote:
jethrobull wrote:

EDIT

Have you tried disabling yout internet devices? I have the same issue so everytime i turn off the connection and play. :)
The latency spikes just screw my audio...pop, snap, click..
Just tried it and it didn't make a difference. Neither did moving the samples to my sample library drive. A little disappointed to say the least. I have psyBOX and Ambitron and they both work great.

I also tried using it under jBridge with no better result.

I don't see any other posts mentioning such high CPU load in spite of the warning on the product page but my Cubase's performance meter spikes every time I press a key on the simplest patches.

EDIT

Opened Windoes' "Task Manager" and Resource Monitor" and neither are showing the CPU spikes I'm getting in Cubase.
Jbridge is only necessary if you are using it in a 64bit host. It has nothing to do with CPU usage per se. Try adjusting the ASIO settings higher to around 60-80ms. That should take care of any pops and clicks. As to the high CPU use in general some patches are CPU intensive but not all and certainly to to the extent of spiking on the simplest patches.

Thanks for the reply.
Jbridge is only necessary if you are using it in a 64bit host.
I'm Cubase x64 but was grasping for straws. It's bridged now so no reason to unbridge it.

Try adjusting the ASIO settings higher to around 60-80ms. That should take care of any pops and clicks.
It certainly does but it also makes it unplayable as a performance instrument That's fine, though, it puts it more in the camp of Ambitron or psyBOX which I'm very fond of. I just have to change my perspective.
As to the high CPU use in general some patches are CPU intensive but not all and certainly to to the extent of spiking on the simplest patches.
That's what I thought as well but even "Intro" will cause problems and that doesn't appear to be a complex patch (maybe it is, I could be wrong).

I can get pretty clean at 1024, although, I still won't be able to play all the patches. Ten or twelve years ago 1024 was certainly considered usable for a lot of sounds so, again, I'm fine with it unless there is a solution. However, "no solution... no problem."

Thanks again for replying.
"Let us wander through a great modern city with our ears more alert than our eyes..." Luigi Russolo, 1913

optofonik wrote:
It certainly does but it also makes it unplayable as a performance instrument That's fine, though, it puts it more in the camp of Ambitron or psyBOX which I'm very fond of. I just have to change my perspective.
What are your computer specs? I run psyGEN with my ASIO set to 60-80ms and I don't have any performance issues. All of the demo tracks I did were set that way.

optofonik wrote:
That's what I thought as well but even "Intro" will cause problems and that doesn't appear to be a complex patch (maybe it is, I could be wrong).
I just did a check of the patch "Intro" (which has 5 channels of the sequencer running) and on my dual core Athlon 3.0Ghz using Sonar 7.0 64bit with Jbridge with ASIO set to 80ms the CPU runs at around 15%-18%.

By contrast, the patch "Baroque" with 13 sequencer channels runs at 33%.

Bobbotov wrote:What are your computer specs?
AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8gb RAM, 1 dedicated sample library 750gb drive, 1 dedicated 350gb OS drive, 1 dedicated 500gb audio drive, latest bios and drivers, dual M-AUDIO Audiophile 192 cards, dual NEC Spectravire II color corrected monitors, dual Acer consumer grade monitors, etc..

It's not the fastest computer but it's not the slowest.

Thanks for the reply, Bobbotov.

Kind regards,

Mick

Bobbotov wrote:Jbridge is only necessary if you are using it in a 64bit host.
While we're on that topic, do you have any thoughts on how long it would take you to update to 64 bit once SE is updated to be able to do this?

I know it's probably not near the front of your mind right now, but would be good to know.

robojam wrote:
While we're on that topic, do you have any thoughts on how long it would take you to update to 64 bit once SE is updated to be able to do this?

I know it's probably not near the front of your mind right now, but would be good to know.
I have no idea what would be involved until I see the 64bit Jbridge. The problem is a lot of modules may have to be modified and that could be daunting.

Bobbotov wrote:
robojam wrote:

I have no idea what would be involved until I see the 64bit Jbridge. The problem is a lot of modules may have to be modified and that could be daunting.
OK, just wondered - didn't know if there was much work or if it was relatively straightforward.

optofonik wrote:
Bobbotov wrote:What are your computer specs?
AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8gb RAM,
You didn't say but is that 3.2Ghz CPU? If so, it is more than adequate to run psyGEN.

i think there are some problems running psygen and psybox under windows 8 32bit.

in studio one they don't produce any sound and in fl studio they max the cpu by 300% and more.

will investige further...

Bathrobe wrote:i think there are some problems running psygen and psybox under windows 8 32bit.

in studio one they don't produce any sound and in fl studio they max the cpu by 300% and more.

will investige further...
That's odd. Can't imagine what they did in Win 8 to make it unplayable.

Having sooo much fun with this, how time goes by.......... :D
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Return to “Instruments”