Synth-Werk Step Sequencer issue

Official support for: bestservice.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm having this odd issue with Synth-Werk, which I've been using for quite a while, but suddenly it's behaving differently.

In one of my songs I was using the "Chord Sound dissonant 002" (2nd sound of 2nd directory in the browser) and by default it had the Step Sequencer on (below left in Quick Edit) and it was a rising (in pitch) step motion.
Now the Step Sequencer is off by default and if I turn it on I can't get it to rise. Turning on StepModulat and choosing a preset doesn't do anything.
I tried messing with STEP MOD #1 in Pro Edit, but that doesn't do anything either. In the standalone version the situation is the same.
This is quite bad because I can't finish the song until I fix this. I've searched the manual but can find no solution.

Engine 2.1.0.224
Win7
Ableton Live 8.4 32bit

thanks so much/regards
Marten Jansen

I have quite a few virtual synthesizers and figuring out how they all work isn't feasible, so I use the presets. Then, if there's a glitch, I'm toast, like now.
So I'm trying to figure out how Engine works and in this particular patch (Chord Sound dissonant 002) for this particular case the relevant parameters are (in Pro Edit) STEP SEQ #1, which provides the rhythmic pattern of the original patch, and STEP MOD #3, which makes the sound rise in frequency over several seconds.

In the original version of the patch the two modifiers would run independently. The step sequencer would loop its 8 steps and the step modulator would let the pitch rise, also as a loop.

But now the step modulator starts from the beginning at each new note of the step sequencer, so all notes in the rhythmic pattern have the same pitch, but each note rises a little while it lasts.
In other words: the rhythmic pattern lasts 8 notes and the last note should be higher than the first note, because that's what the step modulator should do. But the step modulator modulates, but not in steps. Let's say the modulator starts at 440 Hz, then it's at 440 Hz at the beginning of each new note, while each note should be higher than the previous.

So the question is, how do you let the step modulator run across the pattern?

If we can't fix this, I can't release the song. :shock: :-o

i'm tomorrow in my studio. i'll check my synthwerk and report you here tomorrow.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

i have no problems here, the preset works fine. i made a screenshot of the relevant settings maybe it helps if you check them.

Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Hi murnau,

Thanks a lot for the screenshot, I appreciate it.
My settings are the same as yours.
But the problem is not solved. The patch loads with different settings than before and I noticed it does work correctly when you play two notes simultaneously. Then adding a note in the DAW and muting it is no solution because the sound is very different.
Now the only thing I can try is reinstalling the Synth-Werk library.
I'll let you know if that solves it.

Thanks for your involvement
Marten
:wink:

hi marten6734,

too bad it wasn't of any help. now i think also that the best would be to re-install the whole library again.

good luck!

Sorry....I keep coming back to this. It's a major pain in the neck. Before I contact the kind and helpful Mr Schmidt from Bestservice, I'd like to pose one last question to other Synth-Werk users:

Have you recently reinstalled Engine 2 and then tried patch Chord Sound dissonant 002?

I thought, maybe it's a Win7 64bit thing, so I installed Synth-Werk on my Vista laptop and guess what? Same problemo.
Then the issue must be more general and more people should have seen it (or going to).

It's a vexing issue. Not only is Synth-Werk of my main synths, one of my songs relies on the step modulator working in sync with the step sequencer. It sounds like toten Hosen without it.
:cry: :shock: :-o :o

Hi Marten,

i've read you mail but didn't find some time to take a look into it. I will do this asap i'll find some time the next days and get back to you. :)

All the best

Martin (from BS) aka NoSoniX ;)

Thanks so much.

best greetings
Marten

Return to “Best Service”